Notices
View Poll Results: how many meetings do you attend per week ?
6 or more per week
7.55%
3 to 5 per week
21.35%
1 to 2 per week
17.71%
only occasionally
11.46%
never
41.93%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

how many 12 Step Meetings do you attend ?

Old 05-15-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
the only requirement for membership to aa is a desire to stop drinking, no one has to believe in a god at all its not a requirement for membership.
While this is true a meeting that ends with the lord's prayer is a Christian meeting in my book. As a non-Christian it makes me feel uncomfortable.

I've only been to a few AA meetings. Not my thing. I attend a Shambhala Heart of Recovery meeting once a week. It involves meditation and is based on Buddhist teaching.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
While this is true a meeting that ends with the lord's prayer is a Christian meeting in my book. As a non-Christian it makes me feel uncomfortable. I've only been to a few AA meetings. Not my thing. I attend a Shambhala Heart of Recovery meeting once a week. It involves meditation and is based on Buddhist teaching.
The serenity prayer is also Christian, when one looks at it in its entirety
Old 05-15-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

A couple a day, and two to three on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

that's what I'm looking for -- continued sobriety

Originally Posted by pdoc View Post
A couple a day, and two to three on Saturday and Sunday.
I remember when I went to meetings like that
they were very good for me and still are

God willing
going to an AA meeting tomorrow that I sectary

it is an honor to hold that little post

I have noticed that most all of my friends who attend AA regularly
remain sober

that's what I'm looking for -- continued sobriety

MM
Old 05-15-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

This stuff isnt that hard, just dont drink? Sounds pretty simple to me - although it certainly seems hard at first, i think thats just a last-ditch effort by the bottle to make us feel like crap, bring us to our knees and hopefully........ once we cave, bring us crawling back to the bottle. As long as you just stay away from the drink and dont do it, it seems that things slowly (but surely) get better.

I am day 87 and honestly? Ive mostly just forgotten about drinking, nowadays the "dark side" voice or alcoholic voice (AV) only crosses my mind two or three times a week - im amazed by how much mental ground that little voice has lost. The internet has been great for keeping my mind occupied, busy, and unable to entertain such dangerous thoughts. Compare that to getting the corrupt alcoholic thoughts on average 10-15 times a week once the initial withdrawal chaos wore off.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Did well over 90 in 90. At 4 months going about 3 times a week. If the travel was less I'd most likely still go everyday. Hope to bump them up some again as my back and neck heals.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

in the beginning i went every day. Now seldom if ever. Maybe once every few months at the most. I have 2 years sober now. I believe that AA is not for everyone. If it helps you stay sober then great whatever works. For me its a drag now. I believe in helping the new comer yeah that's great but there is just so much other things going on out there in this big world then to spend all my time obsessing over a cultish program.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jch4078 View Post
cultish program
not all in AA play into the cult

MM
Old 05-15-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

i agree and in fact most of my friends are folks I met in the program whom are the more down to earth types with other interests in common other then the program. However for myself the longer its been since I have been to a meeting the more unbearable it becomes to sit through one. The whole time im thinking to myself why am I here as I listen to people parrot the same mantras and unoriginal thoughts over and over..
Old 05-15-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I go a couple to three times per week. I can't remember the last time I went to a meeting and "got" something. I go to give...and to look for ppl who are looking for a solution. I don't wait for them to ask me to sponsor them or to help them, I offer first. I encourage my sponsees to NOT do 90 in 90 as it's not part of the AA recovery program and I've found it increases reliance upon meetings and "the program" (just like jch above is talking about) versus spending that time working steps and helping others. I'd WAY rather spend my time working with someone(s) who want to recover than sitting in a meeting talking about how I've worked steps - steps that we take for one reason: to be able to work the 12th step.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

90 in 90 never hurt anyone. It helped me to crave meetings instead of alcohol. Could I have gotten by on less? Most likely. The key here I believe is the discipline we need to follow through on. I only know that to keep my spiritual condition in order I need to pull out all the stops. So whatever that takes, I will continue to do that. When I quit meetings all together, I also quit working on my spirituality in time. It's may be different for others but for me, I don't want to get complacent. You need to be FIT in order to live a good life. I work on it everyday.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

DayTrader,

Giving back is what keeps us human and ourselves sober. We can do it in many different ways.

My sponsor "grabbed" me at my first meeting. We butt heads at first for a time. She made me do 90 in 90. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful sponsor though. She was teaching me discipline.

I look forward to giving back and do in early sobriety what I can like car rides, phone calls and i've met a few people whom i enjoy good, clean sober time with.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Stick around long enough..... Or maybe get some more experience with meetings and you'll have no choice to admit mannnny meetings can be not only hurtful but devistating. It's a shame, but it's the way it is.

My aponsee's sobriety is THEIR game to play. They want my advice based on first hand experience.... I'll not recommend 90 in 90. I'll just stick with recommending the aa program
Old 05-16-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I don't recommend anything in particular for anyone. That is between the sponsee and sponsor. My sponsor is hardcore. Her sponsor was hardcore. I could deal with it. My meetings unfortunately go a long way back, years. Some can get by on less, others need more in early sobriety. Whatever works. It worked for her and hopefully it will continue to work for me. The most important thing is my sobriety and my fitness with God.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

in the beginning i went every day. Now seldom if ever. Maybe once every few months at the most. I have 2 years sober now. I believe that AA is not for everyone. If it helps you stay sober then great whatever works. For me its a drag now. I believe in helping the new comer yeah that's great but there is just so much other things going on out there in this big world then to spend all my time obsessing over a cultish program.
So you got sober in AA, then realised you didn't need it as much as in the beginning and are now being dismissive of it because you feel you don't need it anymore? As an AA member we were happy to help, no gratitude needed?!
Old 05-17-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

... to people parrot the same mantras and unoriginal thoughts over and over..
While I currently attend regular meetings until I find what works for me. I have to agree it annoys me too when people who share just link all the cliches together or simply quote the big book with no insight into real thoughts or emotions.

Or it's very scripted to the point you hear the same word for word share each time, including the jokes.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Being social is good thing, but didnt join one.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post

90 in 90 never hurt anyone.
I totally agree with that statement
amazing as I look around here at times
ones crying out in pain
married to the liquid devil
yet
they refuse to attend any meetings
much less 90 in 90

MB
Old 05-19-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

i didn't mean to turn the thread into an AA bashing thread at all. To me the program was very valuable in my recovery especially working and practicing the steps. I still speak with many people from AA and they make up most of my social circle my gripes with the meetings are my own gripes and I only got that way by going to many many meetings, in the beginning all the meetings and mantras and such were new and insightful. Another reason I do not go as much is because its a personal hardship for me. I live in a suburban area where travel is difficult without a license. Mine was revoked for ten years and I am now a convicted felon as a result of a third dui conviction. To be honest I was not even intoxicated. The reason I do not drink is because it will kill me not because of my dui. I work as an electricians helper making a fraction of what I could truly make if I could drive. In my free time im stuck as home. I feel very disinfranchised and feel that as a society we have many problems here in America. A growing police state in which an illegal alien has more rights then citizens. I never stole anything never hurt anyone of did anything violent. For me another part of meetings I can't stand is I feel alot of the old timers are out of touch with the times. Im younger about 30 and most of the folks in AA are at least a decade older. To them they got busted drinking and driving a million times, never had the kind of consequences as I had. They think life is great that they stopped drinking to me its not so great and my loss of license is the least of my problems. I see a growing totalitarian state with not so great of a future so I chose to get involved in activism because the way i see if we as a society and a country stay on the course we are on there will be no future for folks to ever care about their sobriety in.... To me drinking and drugging is not an option because its a war out there and only the strong will survive.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I go to my home group, and otherwise a few meetings a week depending on who is celebrating and sharing at what meeting. Last Friday my sponsor shared 25 years and had a big party after. Saturday morning I went to support a new group's first meeting, and later did step work with my sponsor. Sunday I was at my sponsor's house again making copies of the area minutes to mail out. Next week I have 3 nights in a row on my calender that friends are sharing, including my husband who will celebrate 6 years!

It's not just about the meetings themselves. It's about building relationships and being a real "part of" for me.