Notices

Quit 5 days ago, no appetite and diarrhea

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit 5 days ago, no appetite and diarrhea

I decided to quit five days ago. Just sick of the cycle, sick of the alcohol controlling my life, sick of the way I look since I started; I had heard some say when you are ready, you'll quit. I'm ready.

What I wasn't so ready for is some of the side effects. Days 1-2, I had vomiting/diarrhea, sweats, almost felt like a flu. Day three, a lil better. Day four, no vomiting, attempted plain toast and crackers. But everyday day since I've quit, I have had horrible stomach pains and diarrhea. It wakes me up sometimes 6x per night and I'm already having sleeping troubles. Did anyone else have intestinal problems? How long will it last?

I also have no interest in food. I have to cover my eyes if a fast food commerical comes on or I gag. The thought of any meat especially makes me sick, weird because protein was a big part of my diet before.

The only thing that I have been able to tolerate are smoothies I make here. With a expensive juice/veg blend, plain yogurt, 1/2 banana and ice.

Besides being depressed about pooping my head off and becoming an anorexic, I have seen benefits in the last five days.

My face doesn't resemble a puffer fish. I can see my cheek bones again.

My skin looks white again instead of some weird looking sunburn.

I have more patience, not as likely to snap.

My stomach doesn't look 6 months preggo; only 3.

Biggest shock is my blood pressure. I was talking medicine, even on meds it was running 135/98 while I have been drinking. I got up from the sofa the other night and my head felt like a balloon, I thought I was going to pass out. I checked my BP. 80/65! So I have decided to take only a half and monitor it. I bet I'll be off meds completely in two weeks.

I was most amazed of how bloated I truly was. Is this why I'm having diarrhea? Getting out toxins? Could you maybe reccomend some food you could tolerate the first few weeks?

Well, I am glad to be here. And looking forward to learning more!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stomach pains, no. Diarrhea, si!! For me, that just goes with the withdrawal/binge recovery territory. Honestly, that is probably one of the less unpleasant side effects for me. I expect mine to clear up in the next day or two.

I had my last drink . . . sometime very early (still dark) yesterday morning?

Yesterday I ate nothing but three raviolis, VERY well spaced. I can feel that my stomach is uncomfortably empty, but yet the act of actually swallowing, feeling the food go down the back of my throat, feels unpleasant. Haven't eaten anything today and doubt I'll eat much later. Another symptom that gradually vanishes over the course of several days.

It's great that you are seeing other improvements in yourself. Congratulations on finally being "ready." I am too. This can't go on.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
I can feel that my stomach is uncomfortably empty, but yet the act of actually swallowing, feeling the food go down the back of my throat, feels unpleasant. Haven't eaten anything today and doubt I'll eat much later. Another symptom that gradually vanishes over the course of .
Thanks. I have the exact same problem. I cannot swallow food. It's like I chew a bite of cracker like a cow chewing cud. That's why I've been just doing a liquid diet..
Old 04-08-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ultravi View Post
Thanks. I have the exact same problem. I cannot swallow food. It's like I chew a bite of cracker like a cow chewing cud. That's why I've been just doing a liquid diet..
Is it the puking, do you think? Something about the puking messes up your esophagus temporarily? In another day or two I won't get that yucky feeling when I swallow but I can predict it like clockwork early on. My throat isn't sore, but it feels . . . gross . . . to swallow. I can sympathize.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

It is all part of the detoxing.

This too shall pass. Yes it is hard to swallow and some of it may be from the vomiting.

Yes the sight of food makes you want to gag, your stomach is still upset. Be sure to drink lots and lots of fluids, also with a low blood pressure, please do not start to self medicate by taking only half a pill CALL YOUR DOCTOR.

Alcohol burns and destroys the WHOLE gastronomic system over time and of course, you are going to have the above symptoms, however, when it comes to low and/or high blood pressures, light headedness, etc call your doctor and if no doctor, please go to the nearest ER.

You see withdrawal from alcoholism can be DEADLY. Ask Dee, myself and a few others around here and you will start to see just how we were given a second chance instead of being in a grave.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did call my doc this morning. She said to try only half and monitor it. She doesn't want the top number to dip under 100. She said she'd she'd more concerned if my BP was sky high. I think the lack of food maybe effecting it too.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It will pass just takes time! Push the fluids!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
All is Change

Prolonged Diarrhea is a good reason to seek medical advice.

Some things worthwhile to attend to anyway are matters of hygiene, cleanliness of utensils etc.(blender)

Easily digested foods that also can help alleviate diarrhea are boiled whole rice with mashed apples (boiled) or apple sauce.

Remember always to rehydrate. Rehydration is assisted by squeezing some fresh fruit into the water.

It is good to add banana to the smoothie. Can't remember whether ripe or not ripe banana is best. Kids are grown now.

A dash of tumeric may help.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

These are classic detox symptoms. Did you ever go see your Dr before you quit? Have you considered seeing your Dr. now?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
Prolonged Diarrhea is a good reason to seek medical advice.

Some things worthwhile to attend to anyway are matters of hygiene, cleanliness of utensils etc.(blender)

Easily digested foods that also can help alleviate diarrhea are boiled whole rice with mashed apples (boiled) or apple sauce.

Remember always to rehydrate. Rehydration is assisted by squeezing some fresh fruit into the water.

It is good to add banana to the smoothie. Can't remember whether ripe or not ripe banana is best. Kids are grown now.

A dash of tumeric may help.
Try some sliced apples and peanut butter. Did wonders for me!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

These are classic detox symptoms. Did you ever go see your Dr before you quit? Have you considered seeing your Dr. now?
I ended up in the ER with seizures and heart stoppages. Throughout the day, my heart stopped 11 times, and on the last one after being down for 28 minutes the ER Dr was writing the T.O.D. on my chart, when my heart started on its own.

Detoxing is a very SERIOUS BUSINESS. And if we are not honest with the Drs and nurses they cannot help us.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

It does get better the further away you get from your last drink. Just keep the memory of the last drunk and this detoxing in the forefront of your mind. It will be a good deterrent when the cravings hit.

Love and hugs,
Old 09-15-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile

I also am on my 5th day it sounds familiar,just hang in there it will get better I have quit before,I have enrolled in a recovery program for the first in my life,59 years old and have reached the point where my health is in jeopardy,I don't have many choices now,good luck and god bless,Al.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also had a seizure and ended up in the ER. I tell you this just to add to the chorus of voices telling you to seek a doctor when detoxing. Don't think "that won't happen to me..." That's what I thought and it did happen to me. My wife was there when it happened and she thought I was dying.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by ultravi View Post
What I wasn't so ready for is some of the side effects. Days 1-2, I had vomiting/diarrhea, sweats, almost felt like a flu. Day three, a lil better. Day four, no vomiting, attempted plain toast and crackers. But everyday day since I've quit, I have had horrible stomach pains and diarrhea. It wakes me up sometimes 6x per night and I'm already having sleeping troubles. Did anyone else have intestinal problems? How long will it last?
Classic symptoms for me. The gastro problems will continue until you get back to solid food. I needed a balance of everything. Protein, fiber, veggies. I'd eat whatever I thought I could. Peanut butter by the spoonful, celery, steamed carrots, whatever. A great way I found to get veggies is drain a can and marinate in italian dressing. Don't worry, it will pass. Pun intended.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hopeful

I'm on day 5 and every day gets easier. I didn't have it as bad as you have had it but Saturday was pretty scary. Every time I bent over and stood up again, I thought my head was going to explode. Took my blood pressure-154/**, not dangerously high but not good either. My hands were shaking and my stomach was not happy. I've also had diarrhea. Hang in there. We can all do this!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep in mind this is an old thread bumped up, guys

Welcome to SR HarleyRed

D
Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

I lived on soup the first few weeks. I made sure I had soup sachets at home and work. I drank the soup like tea or coffee. It settled my stomach and kept me feeling full when I couldn't stomach normal foods.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Repeating these threads is good for new folk.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sure...but replying to the OP and missing the newcomer may not be very effective

D
Old 09-15-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey I was sick all weekend and worked all day...never was too bright to start with.