Notices

just need support

Old 03-21-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just need support

This is my first day sober and so far I've made it through the day. I am done, I don't want to drink anymore. Last night sealed the deal for me. I of course blacked out and can only remember bits and pieces. aside from I know I humiliated myself again and woke up disgusted and beating myself up. I'm overdrafting my bank account just to buy beer, which in turn I am destroying myself and making my husband and kids pay for me being selfish.
So I haven't drank since last night but it's starting to hit me. I fought the craving all day and that's gone for now. But I'm so nauseus, my head feels blah, and all I want to do is cry for no reason. I know it withdrawls but I feel horrible. Yet the more horrible I feel the more I hate that freaking bottle!!! I don't even know what to say I'm just pissed now. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster of emotions!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to hear your starting your sobriety today! Its tough at first but you will feel a MILLION times better soon in all different facets of your life. Detox can be dangerous, do not hesitate to get medical attention if you start feelin really bad, especially if you were drinking a lot, all day and/or have another serious medical condition. Drinking lots of water it great to get you rehydrated too, I like seltzer when I am nauseous.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to get through the early days, but you can do it. You don't have to go through this again. I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. You'll find lots of support here.
What helps me, is to think that first drink through to the end and the misery and self loathing it'll bring.
Best of luck to you, and please keep posting.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

rh,
oh i know the feeling, i was the same way. i drank and blacked out so many times. i have a wife spouce and child also. all i can say is the with drawls will get better. give it about a week and he physical symptoms will go away. i had to find something to occupy my mind and body like a hobby. i read books, did sudoko puzzles, exercised, cooked good looking meals, and did yard work all to occupy my mind. join the chat room here alot of good people there too.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Your first sober day can be the last day you have to feel rotten about what drinking has done to you. Good luck on your journey.

We're here to help.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery can be a roller coaster ride for a while, but it does get better the longer you're sober.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In hindsight I wish I'd paid a visit to the Doctor when I stopped drinking because withdrawals can lead to an acute medical condition (DT's). The body is in shock and recovery mode as it detoxes. Although I did not experience something as serious as delirium tremens or Wernicke–Korsakoff syndrom I may have had vitamin deficiencies and possible cardiovascular issues. A medical check up and assessment of your drinking should be undertaken. The Dr may be able to refer you to further help in dealing with underlying emotional and psychological issues and provide advice on diet and strategies to overcome cravings. Get plenty of rest and be gentle with yourself. The first week sober is critical. Remember you have a medical condition and are ill, you are not a bad person.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johno1967 View Post
In hindsight I wish I'd paid a visit to the Doctor when I stopped drinking because withdrawals can lead to an acute medical condition (DT's). The body is in shock and recovery mode as it detoxes. Although I did not experience something as serious as delirium tremens or Wernicke–Korsakoff syndrom I may have had vitamin deficiencies and possible cardiovascular issues. A medical check up and assessment of your drinking should be undertaken. The Dr may be able to refer you to further help in dealing with underlying emotional and psychological issues and provide advice on diet and strategies to overcome cravings. Get plenty of rest and be gentle with yourself. The first week sober is critical. Remember you have a medical condition and are ill, you are not a bad person.
I saw my therapist today and this time I told him the truth. He gave some meds to help me if I start having trouble sleeping and ordered some labs. Today is my second day sober and it was a tough one. I came so close to having one, just to get the nausea to stop, but instead drank more coffee and water, fed my horse and chickens, found other things to do. Now it's 9:30 and I know I'll be in bed soon so I have gotten through day 2. I just wish I could eat without upsetting my stomach and feeling sick.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done. Great effort. Meds are important but so is counseling and other forms of therapy and support. Recovery is an integrated approach IMO using methods that are medical, psychological and spiritual as alcoholism is a disease of mind, body and soul. Your current pain will pass. Recovery is a long road and we are never by definition "cured", only recovered and one drink away from potential relapse. I was asked today how my12 Steps were doing and was I nearly finished. That got me. I don't think I'll ever be finished with the steps, its a way of life now and everyday I learn something new. All it takes is honesty with ourselves and a deep desire to get well: we get up in the morning, do what we got to do to stay sober and make it through the day with what ever comes without picking up a drug or a drink, we go to bed and do it the next day, grateful for every day we wake up hangover free. One day at a time. Take it easy.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on getting through day 2! Things really will get better, so hang in there and go easy on yourself.