Notices

Making simple mistakes in early sobriety...

Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

Making simple mistakes in early sobriety...

Hi, having been straight for 2 weeks now I have been making simple mistakes in everyday living. I will put left turn signal on when I am turning right, I paid for groceries and left the store empty handed leaving groceries behind, I went to toss my socks in hamper and was actually milli-second from letting them go into the toilet, and one of my better ones is opening washing machine only to see my cell phone on top of the clothing! Thats just a few but there has been many more simple mistakes like those above, funny thing is this never happened while drinking! All this in only 16 days, I now just expect to make mistakes and still do even though I am trying to be cautious to avoid these types of situations. Anybody else having this problem?

Patrick
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, but I think it's because I'm 55.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is really really normal in early recovery! Some of it may be an age thing but the reality is that alcohol often damages the inner part of our brain where our short and long term memories are formed. As a long term alcoholic as well as one too many bumps on the nogin I'm learning to reprogram. I write a lot of sticky notes, type a lot of reminders in to my phone and computer, and have a family who knows I need a lot of help remembering things. This, I am sure, will pass for you once you have more sober time
Old 03-04-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

LMAO, I have sticky notes everywhere already! I actually had to buy more so opted for the 4-pack! :rotfxko
Earlier I felt the need for a nap since sleep has been hard to come by lately and when I woke I reached for my favorite snack,sriarcha dried peas, opened the can and bumped the side of bed and guess what happened? Yurp, 100 dried peas scattered all over and under my bed, I figure thats good because that could be my mistake for today! lol
Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I started having some memories problems while i was still taking pills and actually I'm still having problems....

So I'm glad you posted this.....

Wait......What was i talking about???

Jk.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There's tons of stuff on the internet about neuroplasticity. The brains ability to recover is very interesting. Here's one such talk : Neuroplasticity and Addiction | Powerless No Longer

It seems that the brain is capable of making new pathways when the old neurons get damaged, interesting stuff.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

it's temporary!