Notices

what else besides AA

Old 08-03-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what else besides AA

I was in AA almost religiously for about two years. It did work, but I found myself TOTALLY sucked in to a whole nother world. I stopped going when I started smoking weed again in February because I know their stance on it and I am by nature an honest and open person. I did not want to be bombarded on my pot smoking by 20 people after every meeting.

I'm up in the air on the pot. I like it. I also think it might be affecting my moods (also bipolar).

I know I need help. I had 8 months from alcohol then Easter til about a week ago I was drinking. I miss the support of AA but I don't miss the black and white attitude about everything and having it be my WHOLE LIFE.

Any advice?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My advice is to stop smoking weed.

I'm not in AA but I found I destroyed my life as much on pot as I did on alcohol later.

I needed to drop all my crutches to get better - not just one.

I think you're swapping one ball and chain for another - or at least swapping between them - I think that's probably where the people in AA were coming from?

D
Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome (((((thuggybear))))) to Sober Recovery. You have found a great site with
lots of ES&H (Experience, strength & hope) from lots of folks, from all around the
world who have been where you are now, or are where you are now.

I have to agree with Dee, the attitude in AA and NA is you are just changing one
DOC (drug of choice) for another DOC.

That being said, please check out our Secular Recovery Forum:

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

wherein a lot of different programs are shared.

So, hope that will help a bit. I am looking forward to reading more of your shares.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-04-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I got out of rehab I decided to go on a marijuana maintenance program. Unfortunately, I started getting paranoid more and more each time after smoking weed. I solved that problem by drinking. Lucky for me it only took 6 more months to wake up to the fact the the alcohol and drugs were just one symptom of what was wrong with me.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

weed leads me back to alcohol.... it's like a dry form of alcohol (not really, but it does change my moods, I get hungry, tired, or frisky, and it's just not worth the risk of arrest for buying it).

I am not in my right state of mind when I get high on anything. That's me.

LifeRing, SMART, AVRT, Rational Recovery, SOS, Women for Sobriety to name some. Of course, if you weren't high, you could do an internet search and find these yourself.

Best wishes,
Old 08-04-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA has no stance on other drug use. that is persoanal opinion and many people have experience with the marijuanan maintenence thing.

if yer gonna go to a meeting and say yer smokin pot, of course peole are gonna share their view. for me, it's russian roulette. sooner or later, id get drunk.

"I'm up in the air on the pot. I like it. I also think it might be affecting my moods (also bipolar)."
in what way if it effecting yer mood?

go back to AA, take what ya want and leave the rest.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, thuggybear. I smoked weed for 30 years, gave it up along with the booze. I would recommend the same to you. I just seems better to me to be real and authentic all the way down to the bottom now.

I am sure that you will find AA opposition to marijuana use, just as you will find opposition to anti depressants, and direction to reset your sobriety date, despite what the BB says.

There are some great ideas around about getting and staying sober without this 12 step business. Laurie has provided the link to the SR forum where we share that flavor of experience strength and hope. Drop by and say Hi!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I certainly hope you will soon quit both alcohol and marijuana

About half of my AA friends do use med's for their Bi-Polar
condition and no one tells them to stop or re start their
recovery time...

What I take ...if I take meds is between me and my doctors
And I don't ask my doctors on how to work/live in the Steps.

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...
Old 08-04-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

There are some local AAer I'm acquainted with that use medical weed or pain management drugs or methadone maintenance or mood elevators and don't bring that up in meetings.

I take mood elevator and anxiety medicine and I will not share that in a meeting because there are most always a ignorant person or two that cop an attitude about it. I just don't need to hear the noise.

I have see those that abuse their "outside issues" stuff and be loaded off their @ss in a meeting. That's not good.