Notices

Can't sleep

Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't sleep

I've been sober for 29 days. The first week or so that I was sober, I was detoxing pretty bad and suffering from drunk dreams.
Then the next week, I felt great! So healthy, full of energy, wanted to scream to the world "SOBER IS BETTER!"
But for the past 10 days or so, I haven't been able to sleep through the night. I wake up every couple of hours. I'm so exhausted but can't get a good night sleep. I feel like I'm losing my mind!!

Has anyone experienced any sleeping issues when you were newly sober? If so, how long did it take for you to get back to a normal sleeping pattern?

Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Phoenix.

Hi.. I'm newly sober.. (been sober since april 23rd)
I'm still having the same issues with sleep.. Every couple of hours like you.
Though, it doesn't happen every night.
I find that taking long walks before bed help, and Sleepy Time tea..
My friend gave me an ambien a couple of weeks ago, but I don't know how I feel about starting to take sleep aids.
From what I understand, this part starts to phase out..? Ehhh? Hopefully?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

It took me months to start sleeping better. Give it a chance & eventually it will return to normal. I did see a Dr. & was prescribed a sleeping med but it made me groggy so I stopped taking it. I think there is a thread somewhere on here with sleeping tips.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You could have been masking existing sleep issues with alcohol. There's a lot of information available about sleep and improving sleep...going to bed at regular times, avoiding stimulation, making the bedroom a sleep chamber (meaning no TV, etc).

For me, nothing keeps me awake like worrying about not sleeping. So perhaps waking up in bed then laying there worrying about going back to sleep isn't the answer. Get up, read a book. Get you mind away from obsessing about sleep.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if this link will be useful to you....

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

It took me about 2 months before I got back in physical and mental balance
. I had been an active alcoholic for decades so my time line
may or may not be yours.

Hope you continue to move into a sober future...recovery really rocks...:
Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first couple weeks of sobriety. I worked very hard outside. To sweat. Which I think helps get rid of toxins. I was landscaping a yard. This gave me a goal. The exercise was great for me on many levels. After a few days, my sleep improved because I was so tired.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many already mentioned it, but I personally believe exercise is the magic solution to getting sleep. Do 1 hour of cardio during the day and I can almost guarantee you'll be sound asleep within 10 minutes.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

I've been sober a year. Now while drunk my routine was a few sleeping pills in my drunken stuper to keep me down at night o that i wouldnt wake up at say 2 am wanting some more beer. I'd also huck down an ibprofen or to to fend off a morning hang over. and repeat that in the morning. (amazing i'm alive i know). When i quit drinking i quit the ibprofin bit but kept the sleeping pill. About 4 months ago i was always short of breath upon reading the sleeping pill could be the culprit i quit that too. It was just an antihistamine not ambien or anything.

Now i dont sleep well. I exercise daily. and do tons of work in the yard etc.. I'm pretty active. But i dont sleep I'm up and down all night and i wake up early feeling pretty refreshed and ready to go. Sounds great right? yeah its not bad i suppose but gosh it'd be nice to just crash and get some solid sleep that just doesnt happen anymore.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I've been sober a year. Now while drunk my routine was a few sleeping pills in my drunken stuper to keep me down at night o that i wouldnt wake up at say 2 am wanting some more beer. I'd also huck down an ibprofen or to to fend off a morning hang over. and repeat that in the morning. (amazing i'm alive i know). When i quit drinking i quit the ibprofin bit but kept the sleeping pill. About 4 months ago i was always short of breath upon reading the sleeping pill could be the culprit i quit that too. It was just an antihistamine not ambien or anything.

Now i dont sleep well. I exercise daily. and do tons of work in the yard etc.. I'm pretty active. But i dont sleep I'm up and down all night and i wake up early feeling pretty refreshed and ready to go. Sounds great right? yeah its not bad i suppose but gosh it'd be nice to just crash and get some solid sleep that just doesnt happen anymore.
You will do eventually I promise, stay away from all sleep meds, I was addicted to zopiclone for nearly 2 years as well as alcohol. Sleep is improving slowly but surely now I am free from all drugs.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It just takes time...like a lot off other things..
Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, that happened to me too. It sucks not getting sleep. You feel like a zombie during the day, but at least you are not HO! It does get better. 45 days for me and now I'm sleeping like a baby.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am 43 days off oxy and sleep only from exhaustion. At least half the nights I don't sleep at all. The nights are long and difficult. I post on this site frequently when up all night as I did last night. I go to bed each night tired and sleepy but it just doesn't happen. I am only reporting and not whining about it. One of the best things I have heard is that "It's the price of admission for the truly free".
Old 06-15-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yesterday I went to the gym thinking that it would help my sleeping pattern after reading all of your suggestions. It did help me fall asleep, but not stay asleep. I was up on and off for the rest of the night.
Will try Melatonin tonight.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pock89 View Post
Yesterday I went to the gym thinking that it would help my sleeping pattern after reading all of your suggestions. It did help me fall asleep, but not stay asleep. I was up on and off for the rest of the night.
Will try Melatonin tonight.
Don't let 1 day dissuade you! Keep at it, come back in 30 days, and tell us if working out has improved your sleep. We've taken years to trash our bodies to the point that it doesn't even know how to fall asleep!! It's going to take more than 1 day to fix it. Good luck bud!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not being able to sleep has caused me to have anxiety and run out for a drink several times. Exercise and lavendar oil seemed to help me the most on my last run at sobriety.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Anyone remember Father Martin? I saw him speak early in sobriety and that was the only thing I remember him saying "So you can't sleep? Good, stay awake then, you earned it...nobody ever died from lack of sleep".

In short, individual results may vary, but problems sleeping seems par for the course. I've met one guy who had such a problem for so long he got a 3rd shift job for a few months since he wasn't sleeping anyway he thought he'd do something constructive with his time.

Odds are if you've been marinating your brain in liquor and/or narcotics for the last decade it may take your body chemistry a little while to get back on track once you remove all that from the equasion. Proper diet and excercise goes a long way as well.

I also discovered that, knocking down 3 or 4 cups of coffee at each meeting I went to, then going out for coffee afterwards, and smoking a pack and a half of camel plain-ends wasn't doing my sleep any favors either.

Hang in there... you can out-last this.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i love reading and listening to anything from Father Martin.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Weeks two and three where problematic. I got to where I figured I only needed a few hours of sleep if I was sober and maybe that's why all the sober people where so much more productive than me (a theory only my addicted mind could conjure). This is week 5 for me and I can basically fall asleep at will. For me the insomnia has passed. No amount of caffeine, chocolate, sugar, or anything else I really like, has any impact.

I hope you get passed it soon.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yea youll be like this for a couple months. most likely. the first time i kicked i couldnt find sleep for days n days.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For me it's simply relaxing and accepting what things are for what they are. Getting upset about it only makes things worse.

If your up, meditate. Listen to music and enjoy the night for what it is. Nights are increadably peacefull.