SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Anyone get REALLY itchy during detox? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/253734-anyone-get-really-itchy-during-detox.html)

CloudyDays 04-09-2012 08:38 AM

Anyone get REALLY itchy during detox?

I'm 36 hours booze free and my whole body is SO itchy!! Sorry if TMI. But my arms, legs, face just feel so itchy. Anyone have this happen? Weird...

lucylestrange 04-09-2012 08:51 AM

Funny, I found this board because I Googled "itchy hands, alcohol" this morning! I'm not in detox yet, just in my normal day after phase but with genuine intent to make it the first day of recovery. I find when I go without a drink for a day or 2 my hands get itchy. I'm pretty sure it's nerves and that it goes away....

sugarbear1 04-09-2012 09:05 AM

Toxins are leaving, neurons are healing and yes, I had that, too. Then, we get the acne or the little red dots. I took about 2 showers a day, that helped.

Give time time. You are healing and getting "normal" again!

Stay strong and stay stopped!! :)

hypochondriac 04-09-2012 09:06 AM

Wow, something I didn't have ;) Isn't itchyness usually an indication of healing or an allergic reaction?

JohnnyDetox 04-09-2012 09:16 AM

Never had the 'itchies' from booze, but when I quit pot, the itchies drove me NUTS!!! I'm sure it will pass soon enough though. Perhaps trying a bath with Baby Oil? Calamine Lotion? Over the counter allergy medicine? Or just tough it out. All the best.

CarolD 04-09-2012 09:21 AM

Yes...I sure did too. It passed around day 4.

Drink a lot of water...Gatorade and juices are also good.

This can be your final time for de toxing...:yup:

CarolD 04-09-2012 09:24 AM

Welcome ucylestrange...:wavey:

Please read this link about de toxing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Zee 04-09-2012 09:33 AM

Im over 7 months sober, and my itchies started a month ago... Doctor said my bile levels are ok... he doesn't think its anything to do with my liver damage either. My theory is (for me) that when I was drinking, I had very thin skin, and it bruised with the slightest knock. Now, it feels alot thicker and at last, I have some fat on my bones again. I also don't bruise easily anymore. I read somewhere that its somthing to do with your nervous system re-activating itself... not sure, but its driving me nuts!!!

ChickenStu 04-09-2012 09:44 AM

Wow, I guess I'm lucky cause I never got this ! Instead, I got a highly erratic sleep pattern. slept all day, awake all night. Thank God for Stephen king books!

Sally1009 04-09-2012 10:27 AM

I have heard that when the liver is stressed or damaged it causes itchiness.

stairs 04-09-2012 10:36 AM

My itchies started recently. I am just over 3 weeks with no alcohol.
My skin is dry but not as bad as when I was drinking.
I take baths with baby oil in the water and use cocoa butter which helps, and drink a lot of water. The itchiness comes and goes. I read online somewhere it is a healing of the skin like someone already mentioned. It makes me nutz sometimes!!
Vitamin E? I'm starting that too. Can't hurt.

sugarbear1 04-09-2012 11:03 AM

I got my itchiness around 2-3 months. I think some bodies are just full of toxins, or maybe mine was. It took time for it to leave. It evens out.

In early recovery, I had a deep line across my fingernails. I watched it grow out, then I noticed another one, that grew out, too. Today, my nails are manicured (how did that happen? ;) ) and stronger and I am painting them myself, finally! The body does renew itself, but it does take some time. Everyone is different.

bskeys1404 04-09-2012 11:05 AM

Maybe your allergic to it and to coming off of it.Lol. Just jokinf. That is odd. Have you called the Dr. just to see if they may have an idea? Your not seeing things or delusional are you?

stairs 04-09-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by bskeys1404 (Post 3356017)
Maybe your allergic to it and to coming off of it.Lol. Just jokinf. That is odd. Have you called the Dr. just to see if they may have an idea? Your not seeing things or delusional are you?

Oh sure. But what else is new.

BullDog777 04-09-2012 01:46 PM

i had it during withdrawal pretty badly.. like Carol said, it does go away. it lasted about a week or so for me.

Hevyn 04-09-2012 01:57 PM

Yes, itchies, creepy-crawly feeling - all sorts of weirdness going on. It ended after about 2 wks. for me. So glad to have left those days behind me.

Congrats on your 36 hours Cloudy! Better days are coming. :)

stairs 04-12-2012 06:35 AM

The itchies are more random, just a little itch here, a little itch there, and just on my shoulders and neck.
What a relief.

Lookahead 04-12-2012 11:53 AM

I get the itchies too, it must be alcohol related becuse i NEVER itch when i drink!

I have to take Benadryl anti histamines every night to stop the itching or i would not get any sleep at all.
It feels like fleas are crawling all over my body and I scratch so bad it makes lots of red spots all over my body.

I also found this forum when I Googled 'Itchy skin and alcohol'.

It does worry me that it is linked to liver damge, I hope not?

Bayer 09-24-2012 04:09 PM

Detox Itchies

I was in a car accident in 1999 and have been on prescription pain medicine ever since. Although I have never abused my prescription pain medication and took only what I was prescribed, I was still on that crap for 13 years. Just recently I decided I no longer wanted to be on pills… so I decided to pursue alternative solutions. I started going to an acupuncturist and that has really helped me control my bone and nerve pain. About two weeks after I got off all my pills I started getting really itchy palms and hands. They were driving me nuts. So I went online to see what I could do and I found these forums. Unfortunately, I didn’t find any good answers to my problem so I started thinking what else I could do. I have lived around horses all my life and whenever my horses got an abscess in their hoof, I always soaked their hooves in Epsom salts to draw out the poisons. I figured if it worked on my horses, then it would probably work on me. So I tried it. You can buy Epsom salts at any local drug store and they aren’t very expensive. I mixed about a ½ cup of salts into a gallon of hot water (make the water as hot as you can stand it) and I soaked my hands in the solution for about 20 minutes. I did this twice a day. Within two days my hands stopped itching and were back to normal as the Epsom salts had drawn all the toxins out of my hands and into the water. I would think this would work for any kind of toxins, whether it is caused from alcohol, prescription drugs or recreational drug use. Toxins are toxins and Epsom salts don’t care where they come from. If you are itchy all over your body, then you can run a hot bath and put the salts in the tub and soak in it for about 20 minutes or so. Most people say to put one cup of salts into the bath, but that is usually for soaking sore muscles and such. If I were you, I would put in about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of salts, because I think it needs to be a little stronger than normal to draw out the toxins. Anyway, this is what I would try if I were you... it helped me. Anyway, can’t hurt trying. Happy soaking.

bigwilc 06-03-2017 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by CloudyDays (Post 3355761)
I'm 36 hours booze free and my whole body is SO itchy!! Sorry if TMI. But my arms, legs, face just feel so itchy. Anyone have this happen? Weird...

Today is day two for me and the total body itch is driving me insane! I haven't been able to sleep in almost 48 hours. The last time I went on the wagon I was awake for five days straight, I started seeing things. I just took a couple Benadryl, and started my stopwatch (it goes up to 99.99 hours), let's see how long it takes to see if there's a difference. But right now, my entire skin surface almost feels like its burning. I'll you know what happens.