Notices

Curious about the body healing and exhaustion

Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Curious about the body healing and exhaustion

So I've made it 12 days, which is great but I'm still in the beginner stages. The shakes lasted a little over a week for me, which I never really got the shakes that bad before and if I did they never lasted that long. Anway, my question, to those that remember or are going through it, is did anyone experience long periods of sleeping in the beginning?

The last time I got sober I dealt with insomnia but now I'm sleeping 10 or more hours a night the past three nights. Last night I feel asleep at 5:30pm and slept until 6am. Granted I work two jobs and am quite busy so that might be a reason for my increased need of sleep.

I'm not asking for medical advice just wondering if anyone else dealt with a healing phase of needing more sleep than usual after the first week?

Thanks for the responses in advance.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe everyone has different experiences when first quitting. It seems common for the newly sober to have sleep issues, whether too little or too much, but it is not something that is abnormal. It sounds like you are on the right track and getting extra sleep never hurts!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! I guess it varies with each time because the first time around I had horrible insomnia and this time around I need so much sleep. Mentally I feel good but I'm just a bit worn down. I guess a bit of extra sleep never hurt anyone.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Random Guy

personaly I would be gratefull for that (I am a little jelouse). I have the insomnia bit like its cool. whenever I quit I end up getting like 4 hours of sleep a night maximmum and none is not uncommon. I haven't gotten past that yet and it is one of the things that drives me to drinking again just to get some fraking sleep. But I digress and would agree that I don't think too much sleep ever hurt anyone but I think that it is a symptom of depression. I don't know if that applies to you or if your body is just playing catch-up.

in closing if I had a nickle for everytime this was said on this forum "if it concerns you see a doctor" then I would have a lot of nickels.

INH
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I couldn't believe how much I slept the first week. It leveled off though. Your body and mind probably need the rest
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chutzpah

I sleep more. I think it's normal. Sleep is good for healing! I think I got slammed with the flu so hard because my body is still trying to recover from alcohol.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gosh, I slept a ton for at least the first 6 months. I also got every bug and virus going around the first year. Your body has been through hell. Give it the time and space it needs to heal
Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I been tapering off for a month + just got new Meds. I'm on the end of day 2 sober which is a miracle considering I can drink everyday for 12 hrs at a time. The medicine is doing its job and also fruit and lots of long walks. And yes finally I'm sleeping better. When your drinking for some reason it really screws up your sleep. I enjoy these 10 hour hibernations I wish you luck! We all need It!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Paws

ohhhh yes I remember this and I slept alot and I feel it helped. Depending

on the frequency Post Acute Withdrawl Symptoms can last for 12-24 months

after cessation of using/drinking and in some cases more. Sleep and better

care for my body helps us in recovery. Plus the dreams get very vivid .

Enjoy the fruits!!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very common to feel tired - I think is often simply a result of our mind and body trying to heal itself

Of course if it goes on too long or you're concerned...you know the drill.

(no nickels INH, sorry )

D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-02-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: australian lol
Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Man, those first three weeks i was totally burnt out mind, heart and body. Sleep was a real joy after I got past the bouts of insomnia. Like others are saying, common enough being tired. I also agree that sleep and tiredness can be brought on for the body to speed up healing.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stick out the insomnia, you'll be sleeping like a log soon enough on your own. Its 1000 times better than any drunken pass out bs. Fact is, when I was drinking all the time and took a night off I could never sleep, 3-4 hours max. After I stopped drinking, I had that same insomnia for around 2-weeks? Then it all got better, I get a full 8-hours every night and wake up feeling great. Your eating/digestive habits improve too...its cool and a nice pay off for the first jaunt through getting sober.

Hang in there
Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I still could sleep 10 hours plus if circumstances allow it. :-)
The first months or even the first year of my sobriety I felt exhausted. It was sometimes an overwhelming process. I had periods when I couldn't sleep at all and had my head running all night or I would sleep a lot. The shakes would periodically come back when I hadn't eaten enough or in situations I didn't know how to deal with sober.
It will get better and you have only go through this once.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi

I started a thread last week 'Is this normal' asking a similar question. I was soooo exhausted and tired especially in the evenings. Most replies were yes it is normal. I'm coming up to 5 weeks now and my energy levels are getting better again! Finally!