Notices

Day 15

Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 15

Hello everyone.

Just checking in. Its been 15 days straight since I have stopped. I am feeling good. There have been cravings here and there, but I have sent them packing each time. I know that there is no "just one". I will have the same craving tomorrow, perhaps even greater because I caved today. Therefore it is not happening. I have even come to the point, that even if I get a craving I think about it and it becomes distasteful to me. I never want to go back to that slavery, depression, fear of serious health problems, hiding, embarrasment, wondering if people suspect anything, comments about my red face etc etc etc. I think that the cravings are on fading away in frequency and strength. Good riddens!

Was looking for a tool this past week in my garage and basement. Found 12 empty beer cans scattered around, actually hidden behind boxes or tucked behind obstructions, even found 3 in the snowblower. I just kept shaking my head everytime I found another empty can. What insanity. A 48 year old man, professional, graduate school educated and hiding empty beer cans around his house because he was so embarrassed and did not want to be found out.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 15 days, workingdrunk!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats WD !!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 2 weeks

D
Old 02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go Working~~~!

Yea, the beer can thing....empties and full..same here!

Press forward buddy
Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New User

Congrats! Take them for deposit and you got some extra change You will save a lot of $ by quitting also!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

workingdrunk,

Congratulations on 15 days!!!! You have a great attitude.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's great you have 15 days WD...And you are fighting the cravings...Just curious if you are working any program or plan to assist you on your sober journey...There are different methods discussed at length on this site..Might be good to look into..
Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Keep moving forward!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I found an empty wine bottle a year after I got sober.... I don't want to go back to that life either - you described it perfectly!

Congratulations on 15 days!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found a half drank bottle of vodka in the closet. I asked my boyfriend what it was. He told me he had hid it one day to keep me from drinking it and I was already so wasted I hadn't noticed at the time.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

Just one aspect of the insanity. Thankfully there is a way to get free of it.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

15 days will be 150 days before ya know it. Congratulations
Old 02-17-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by Workingdrunk View Post
Hello everyone.

Just checking in. Its been 15 days straight since I have stopped. I am feeling good. There have been cravings here and there, but I have sent them packing each time. I know that there is no "just one". I will have the same craving tomorrow, perhaps even greater because I caved today. Therefore it is not happening. I have even come to the point, that even if I get a craving I think about it and it becomes distasteful to me. I never want to go back to that slavery, depression, fear of serious health problems, hiding, embarrasment, wondering if people suspect anything, comments about my red face etc etc etc. I think that the cravings are on fading away in frequency and strength. Good riddens!

Was looking for a tool this past week in my garage and basement. Found 12 empty beer cans scattered around, actually hidden behind boxes or tucked behind obstructions, even found 3 in the snowblower. I just kept shaking my head everytime I found another empty can. What insanity. A 48 year old man, professional, graduate school educated and hiding empty beer cans around his house because he was so embarrassed and did not want to be found out.
Congrats on day 15 your doing well
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I hid a bunch of cans and bottles behind the furnace in the basement. Well, of course I forgot about them until it needed repairs and the service guys pulled them out with my GF and I standing there. The guy chuckled and said "Somebody's got a drinking problem!"......the shame.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
That's great you have 15 days WD...And you are fighting the cravings...Just curious if you are working any program or plan to assist you on your sober journey...There are different methods discussed at length on this site..Might be good to look into..
Right now plan is to do it on my own based on determination and outright disgust and embarassment of what I was doing, what I felt like, the effects of it etc. I feel pretty strong and determined about it. I have made a committment that if I fail and return to drinking, this time it is not going to go on for months or years as in the past with me saying "I got to stop this" until I finally try again. This time this is it. I am too scared for my health and life to let it go on anymore. I read some of the excerpts from "Under the Influence" posted on this board and became even more concerned about the effects of this poison. If I fail this time this will prove that I cannot do it alone, next stop is AA. End of story for me. I am not doing this to myself and my family anymore. I will always have my 13 years of mostly hidden drinking on my concious. I have many regrets of the senseless risks that I took in favour of drinking. I do not know who to thank, but someone was looking out for me and I always seem to make it through unscathed. I do not know how I got so lucky for so long.

I think that I can beat it on my own as I have accepted alcohol for the traitor and fraud that it is. I know that its effects on me will be to crave it so much that I will even try to pursuade myself into having just " a few more now and that's it" or "that I can now control it" etc etc. I have been there and have given in in the past. I know and accept that these are all lies to myself purpetuated by the dependancy and the need to fulfill it. I accept that it will not end at only "some today" I will be really angry and disappointed in myself the next day, and, of course the next day will be the same craving all over again and the same promises of "only one more time". If I could control it while consuming it in moderation or less, I would not be here writing this. I do not want to be there or go back there ever again.

My attitude: "Sorry alcohol, your time is up. You have lied to me endlessly, harmed me and beat me up so much and done nothing for me except take lots and lots of my money. I still worry that you may have killed me. All of this under the disguise of making me think I felt good for what was really about 1 hour or less out of 24 every day. I have read on the Canadian Cancer Society Website or a similar website that the effects of alcohol on cancer last for 20 years after an individual stops drinking. I also notice a recent medical article suggesting the alcohol is a cancer risk for many more cancers that prevously thought even in the recent past. What a price to pay.

I realize who you are alcohol and accept it. I am not playing with you anymore. Get lost! Good bye!

Also I ask myself "why go out waste this money on alcohol and drink?" There is nothing in it for me, no gain, no advantage in drinking." Only serious harm and eventual death, no doubt. If I accede to the craving then I am being driven to drinking and controlled by the alcohol like some sort of puppet. I honestly do not want to drink, I hate it, I have hidden, I am embarassed by the thought of someone finding out or suspecting - so why do it. Who's controlling who?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 15 !
Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Muunray View Post
I found a half drank bottle of vodka in the closet. I asked my boyfriend what it was. He told me he had hid it one day to keep me from drinking it and I was already so wasted I hadn't noticed at the time.
I have also found half drunken cans of beer around. I alway's could not remember how I forgot about it. These were always hidden of course!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Workingdrunk View Post
I have also found half drunken cans of beer around. I alway's could not remember how I forgot about it. These were always hidden of course!
Actually, I should have said, I always found half drunken beer cans around, practically on a weekly basis. I'd also always find full cans of beer hidden away that I forgot about. Totally nuts!