SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Choice Of Alcohol Beverage? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/243541-choice-alcohol-beverage.html)

Justfor1 12-15-2011 08:11 AM

Choice Of Alcohol Beverage?

Hopefully, this is okay posting but has anyone noticed that alcoholics seem to turn to Vodka as there drink of choice? I know I did in the end because it was cheap and beer was just too much time consuming and too much liquid. I heard some recovering folks even thought Vodka didn't smell like booze. :lol: I thought Vodka didn't give me the bad hangovers but, in the end, it was all the same.

24hrsAday 12-15-2011 08:18 AM

at the end of my drinking it was Heavy Whiskey drinking Just. not a very happy time in my life. (dying Ain't much of a living) :abck:

Programmatic 12-15-2011 08:22 AM

If I were to answer the one sentence question that is thread title then the answer would be "Yes".

I, personally, always maintained some standards to the quality of alcohol I would drink. High gravity craft beer only. Why drink 3 or 4 pisswaters when I can drink one tasty beverage to the same effect? Same for wine although I would settle for cheap wine because the alcohol content was similar regardless of quality. As for liquor, pretty much anything was fair game but I still enforced quality standards. Vodka was always a favorite because it mixed so well and the good stuff is very close to flavor-less. Better vodka does result in less hangover, that's a fact. I would only drink potato vodkas of which there may only be 1 to 3 available on any given shelf.

That said, I spent an incredible amount of money on my alcoholism. It still boggles my mind to think about it.

I never reached the point that I didn't care about the quality of the alcohol nor did I ever convince myself you couldn't smell it on me because I drank good vodka. I certainly never found the point where I had enough, though. I also witnessed close loved ones do the things I never did listed above.

NYCDoglvr 12-15-2011 08:22 AM

I consumed wine (almost two bottles per day) at the end, at least that was my last booze of choice.

RV GTO 12-15-2011 08:40 AM

When I was in rehab, that question was asked in our group. Vodka seemed to be the drink of choice by the majority.

SSIL75 12-15-2011 09:03 AM

I went through a vodka phase and it was certainly the darkest time in my drinking career. I'd buy a handle of vodka and a box of each red and white wine and hope it lasted us (me and my drinking but non alcoholic spouse) a week. :(

I would get so excited at having all 3 because it meant I could 'freely' drink for a couple of days without the amounts being noticed. A little of each box... a little vodka... etc.

Wil 12-15-2011 09:10 AM

I know the people around here that have been here awhile don't like questions about "what I use to do", but they always interest me. Maybe because I'm a newby; I don't know.

Anyway, my drink of choice was always the skol vodka mixed with sam's diet cola. Cheap cheap.

sym2000 12-15-2011 09:15 AM

Sober

Did you quit without detox or know anybody that has? Thanks

Zebra1275 12-15-2011 09:58 AM

It was vodka that speeded up my slide down the slippery slope towards alcoholism.

I don't think it was the drink of choice, more like the drink of compulsion.

CRAZE 12-15-2011 10:17 AM

Mostly beer for me. It was just my default beverage for everything. My fridge had no soda no juice no milk only beer. Pretty much the only liquids I consumed were beer, water and coffee.
Since I quit drinking beer I have actually gained weight since quitting because I now have more capacity to eat solid foods. No more liquid dinners.

collegegirl 12-15-2011 10:48 AM

I would do either tequila or wine. Tequila was more dangerous for me because I would put down half a handle at a time, whereas with wine I would rarely drink more than 2 bottles in one sitting. Never hopped on the vodka train.

Muunray 12-15-2011 11:02 AM

Derailed the vodka train here

Scolova 12-15-2011 11:17 AM

Beer here, I liked the buzz much more than liquor, although I started boosting my drunk-sessions with vodka\whiskey over the last year and realized it was time to give it up.

Edit: Oh and I started downing those 'four loko' drinks... (YUK) before the government banned 'em.

LoftyIdeals 12-15-2011 11:34 AM

Good thread. Mine was vodka and wine. Almost gave up beer entirely. I could drink vodka without a lot of notice, since its clear. If I wanted color, red wine. Wow. What a nightmare.

Windblown 12-15-2011 11:49 AM

Beer.

Dominica2 12-15-2011 12:05 PM

I first started with Vodka. after that Tequila and then to Rum and finally whisky. I would stay on the same liquor about a year (a bottle a night), then switch it up. Then I gave up the hard liquor and just switched to beer.

Dee74 12-15-2011 12:18 PM

Sym2000

I had a really bad last home alone detox - I really recommend you see a Dr - it really is the safe and responsible thing to do.

D

Dee74 12-15-2011 12:36 PM

ok, chalk me down as one who doesn't find a lot of value in threads like these.

I drank anything I could - it simply didn't matter - as the years progressed I drank cheaper and cheaper stuff simply because it had to last me all day.

I dunno what the lesson can be gained in looking back at that...except that alcohol is alcohol whatever form it comes in, and I was an alcoholic?

D

Deserto 12-15-2011 01:05 PM

I agree that these threads pose the danger of romanticizing alcohol... but on the other hand, they might be helpful for those who are reading the threads and have just noticed a change in their drinking habits (ie, moving to harder stuff) and wondering what it portends.

Yes for me it was vodka at the end. Tequila or whiskey could make me agro, vodka just made me sloppy. Wouldn't recommend it, though. It's like greasing a slide.

Elisabeth888 12-15-2011 02:25 PM

I was a vodka and wine drinker. I never bought the super cheap stuff though. My fave was stoli vanilla.