Notices

Choice Of Alcohol Beverage?

Old 12-15-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was always a whiskey drinker but as my disease progressed and I started needing a drink every couple hours I switched to cheap vodka as I believed you couldn't smell it. To be honest I can barely even stand the slightest thought of it now as I literally get nauseated.

As I progressed further into Hell I became less picky and started drinking wine and then beer. I wasn't drinking for taste but rather to stave off withdrawals. It was a horrible time in my life and the thought (and smell) of any of it now just sickens me.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good Beer was my choice--almost fifty thousand of them by my count. We couldn't handle having a keg at the shop so we went through mountains of bottles. I don't miss that at all. It was yet another unexpected gift of sobriety.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a wino who sometimes made things worse with gin.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sally1009

I drank anything, though mainly wine. I did a lot of experimenting, like it says in the Big Book. All that told me was I was that I was an alcoholic, and there is no safe amount or type of alcohol I can drink.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Anything and everything. I was an equal opportunity drinker.

Now I find myself obsessing over things like tea and good coffee. You know your caffeine habit is getting out of control when you start drinking espresso regularly.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Why is a mouse when it spins?

Bacardi Light began my slide and eventually moved onto Seagrams Smooth Vodka. Effing awful.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My favorite alcoholic beverage....Was the last one I had.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by sym2000 View Post
Did you quit without detox or know anybody that has? Thanks
No I could not quit alcohol without a medical detox. Each & every time the withdrawals got worse.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Kellye. I also can't handle the smell anymore...interesting huh? If I'm T a party where people are drinking I always try and keep a few feet from them and breathe through my mouth.

I drank wine, about 2 liters a day with a pack of smokes, but if that wasn't handy I didn't discriminate.

I have heard anecdotes hat seem to imply that switching to vodka is a bad sign.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I drank vodka exclusively because no one could smell it and instead of chugging down a drink (like beer/wine) I could just take quick shots and get drunk faster.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I drank whatever got me drunk, vodka included. The higher the alcohol content the better..blech! The slightest thought of it now just turns my stomach.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I would drink anything but had more control with beer so that's what I drank in the end. I knew exactly how many I could drink and at what time I needed to stop in order to be sober by the time I woke up for work. 6 tall boys and a four loko. Or just 9 tall boys. No limit for the weekends tho. Wow, I've never shared that with anyone. Pretty disturbing how we develop our own little alcoholic rituals. Not something I ever want to go back to because next time I know it will be worse.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Weary and hopeful

Rum and vodka. Beer quit working.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
I went through a vodka phase and it was certainly the darkest time in my drinking career. I'd buy a handle of vodka and a box of each red and white wine and hope it lasted us (me and my drinking but non alcoholic spouse) a week.

I would get so excited at having all 3 because it meant I could 'freely' drink for a couple of days without the amounts being noticed. A little of each box... a little vodka... etc.
How often would you guys drink?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:29 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

JF1 - I adore you, please don't take this the wrong way!

I don't think these threads are great... I don't see the good in thinking back to the "good ol' days", no matter how far ago they were for some... there are plenty in this forum who are struggling today and this sort of thread validates their drinking. I know it was not the *intention* of the thread, but we all know - when you're an active alcoholic ANYTHING is a trigger, and ANYTHING can be encouragement to drink...

I'm drinking Soda and water tonight.

Not mixed together though XD
Old 12-16-2011, 02:47 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Beer usually **** beer but I was a big fan of belgium beers, which almost never turned out well because I would drink them like the others and end up stumbling incoherent drunk before I knew what was happening enough to get my dumb but home. I never fully made the switch to liquors but I think that is only because I could never stomach them. even mixed drinks make me naususe and I would eventually throw up which kept me from getting drunk so I stuck to beer, just alot of it. I dito one of the above threads with the bottles and cans stacking up. I had a designated beer fridge and at one point had a kegerator at home, because I got tired of picking up an 18 pack every day and I thought of it as a good investment because keg beer is cheaper. Yeah that was not the smartest move ever.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

I have accepted my powerlessness of over alcohol, people, places, things and circumstances.

In this regard I can rest assured that there is nothing I can do or say that will make a person drink or not drink.

Therefore, these types of threads are quite irrelevant to the sobriety of others or myself. For me to say otherwise is to claim some power over alcohol.

I've often marveled at the concept that we should coddle the new guy and try not to upset him; people he's already upset, carry on.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Beer with a JD chaser & I HAD to smoke when I drank- such a healthy way of life!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I'll just say that if you ever find yourself thinking "beer and wine is too weak," something is up.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

This is the time of year when I would lay in some really caustic hangovers from winter beer consumption. It would send my winter depression into depths of hell. The romance is totally gone.