Notices

Physical recovery times

Old 10-11-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical recovery times

Currently on day 1 here. I just cant tolerate alcohol like I used to and I feel like hell during the day.

I realize that everyone is different but I was curious as to how long in recovery it took for some physical symptoms of alcoholism to leave. I have had (mostly lower) abdominal pain for years but over the past few weeks I have been experiencing back pain, a bloated feeling in my abdomen and a bit of crampiness in my right side.

I know that nothing happens overnight but would like to guage what others have experienced. I'm going to the doctor early next week but I am really finding this feeling annoying.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're seeing a Dr - pain of any kind is a sign something is not as it should be

you may find this thread helpful

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 10-11-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

When I drink I get a bad pain on my right side that will take a few days of sobriety to go away. My anxiety will be extra high for a while depending on how bad the bender was. If I wasn't eating, drinking hard liquor, not sleeping and length of bender all factors in. If it gets too bad I usually have to head to an ER for a week days of letting the pros detox me.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi camper. Most of my physical symptoms of my alcoholism went away within a few weeks. The facial redness & bloating, the red eyes, the nasty stomach stuff. My most scary result of active alcoholism was extreme numbness/tingling below the waist, to the point of not feeling my legs while walking sometimes. That went away within a couple weeks. Amazing.

The daily gagging, nausea and shakes went away in a few days.

Last edited by MsJax; 10-11-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added last sentence.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

I'm not totally convinced that some of the little aches and pains we got when drinking were in our heeads to make us pick up a drink. Often times just the first one alleviated it.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It took me a few years. Not too bad considering I drank daily for 30 years
Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hope your de tox goes smoothly....
Welcome back...
Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by camper67 View Post
I was curious as to how long in recovery it took for some physical symptoms of alcoholism to leave.
PAWS « Digital Dharma
Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It tool about 3 months to sleep normally and feel like my brain was back "in balance."

GG
Old 10-13-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

I am five months and I relate to your post. I had bad heart burn as well. Physically, emotionally, sleep wise and in every other way it is still and ongoing process of recovery for me. I read it takes what it takes somewhere and given that sobriety is the only option I want to persue how long it takes doesn't figure in that. Waiting for something else is another way of "not (wanting to) being here" (hope that last bit makes sense). Enjoy the bits you can, wear the rest until you get it figured out or it sorts itself out.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I quit on Oct 11 too - so we are on Day 3 now! I have lots of aches - joints, lower back, right side.. but overall feel a million times better than I did on Tuesday. if I could drink like I want to and not have any symptoms I'd keep right on doing it, because my warped brain believes it is the only thing that is worth living for.

You sound like me - i want everything to be better NOWNOWNOW . I am starting to realise it isn't going to go that way and I must be patient. The things I am having trouble with are the fact that now I have no highs and the world still sucks, LOL.

Hang in there, it will get better.. at least that is what I hear!!

jeannie
Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Rehab told me it takes an hour for every ounce of alcohol to leave the body. 6 pack of beer = 3 days.....give time time, please see a doctor.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see we have some newer members here.....
Yes you really can win over alcohol....many of us are doing that very thing.

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum....
Old 10-29-2011, 12:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

why does sobriety take a long time to recover? but it works right?

pattern drinking doesn't = cure and healing right?
Old 10-29-2011, 01:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It may seem like a long time, especially to those of us used to the immediate gratification of a bottle to feel better, but it's really not a long time.

I drank for 20 years - it didn't take me 20 years to feel better although I think it probably took 3 months or so in my case for my mind and body to heal from what I'd done to them.

pattern drinking doesn't = cure and healing right?
not sure what you mean by pattern drinking, but I don't believe the healing can really start until we stop drinking - in my experience, if we drink we're just ripping the band aid off the wound and restarting the healing process back at square one

D
Old 10-29-2011, 01:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It may seem like a long time, especially to those of us used to the immediate gratification of a bottle to feel better, but it's really not a long time.

I drank for 20 years - it didn't take me 20 years to feel better although I think it probably took 3 months or so in my case for my mind and body to heal from what I'd done to them.

not sure what you mean by pattern drinking, but I don't believe the healing can really start until we stop drinking - in my experience, if we drink we're just ripping the band aid off the wound and restarting the healing process back at square one

D
Thanks. I guess, the most difficult thing is telling someone it'll be better going forward. It sucks for weekend drinkers like myself because it's as if we are constantly healing, hurting, and repeating the course w/ no real progress.

I understand sobriety means complete abstinence because only then can it allow our bodies to heal.

I suppose if someone could guarantee me that in 3-6 months I will lose a lot of the anxiety I have now, I would be more determined, but I'm just saying.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought I was self medicating my anxiety with drink but I see now my anxiety was always exacerbated by my drinking...whenever I wasn't drinking, my levels were sky high....and then after a few years, even drinking didn't seem to have much of an effect anymore...

I know I've said this before to you, but the only way out of the cycle that I know of is to stop altogether Froglet.

If you find your anxiety unbearable it's best to seek medical help, whether it be a Dr or a psychologist psychiatrist or whatever.

I've suffered from anxiety all my life - by stopping drinking and a lot of work on my part I'm the least anxiety ridden I've ever been.

It wasn't always easy but then neither was drinking.

I think it's a safe bet to guarantee if you do the same - stop drinking and seek help - you'll be better off too. How can you not be?

D
Old 10-29-2011, 02:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for the persistent guidance.