Notices

Is Alcoholism Really A "Disease"?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by IllBeFree View Post
Tell me, must we even let people know if we have alcoholism?
No. I advise against it.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I tell people on a need to know basis... Which has amounted to only a very few.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Yeah I very very rarely let people know. Generally in social situations a simple "Oh, I don't drink." suffices.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

If you look at it from the perspective that a persons core beliefs define their reality then you can see why it might be harmful to some to just tell them that it is a disease that they are powerless over. I understand the perspective AA takes on powerlessness in a spiritual/physical reaction context but outside of seeking a spiritual solution the term powerless can be very confusing.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

My grandfather,father, uncles, brother, sister, son, cousins were, are alcoholics and died from it. One might look at that and say, it could be disease or genetic. There have been uncles, aunties, mother, brother and relatives who have been diagnosed with & died from cancer. One might look at that and say, it could be a disease or genetic.

Interesting I thought, I could look at this as a family with severe diseases or genetic background. Or I could say, a family full of depression and addictive behaviours or mental problems.

Whatever its called, all I know is that it is a family with a history. In my mind if I called it a disease or a genetic thing, I might think I have the bad luck of becoming an alcoholic or getting cancer.

But on the otherhand, I can keep telling myself Im not a drinker, no,I am not going to get cancer and live my life. I dont know what next week will bring me, but if I have any say in it, its going to be good. I do think I once had the potential to be an alcoholic, when my life was completely in chaos, but I did make that decision not to. Well, you might say I dont have the gene or disease, I think everyone has the 'maybe' factor to be whatever they want to be.
You dont wake up one morning and say, "Oops, I have that disease, alcoholism, so here I go". I think it is very much a progressive addiction that becomes a horrible, devastating illness. Illness you say, yes, very ill
Just my Opinion JJ
Old 06-27-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

No,no,no. I have had really bad experiences with telling people about my alcoholism. I do tell a few selected few though.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

It makes zero difference what alcoholism is.

What we can all agree on is it is a life threatening problem.

Bleeding to death isn't a disease.. It's defiantly a PROBLEM though!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I tell ppl all the time.... you'd be surprised how many ppl I was able to help this way. Now don't get me wrong, I don't just blurt it out.....I side-step into it casually.

I can't count the # of times in 4 yrs someone's said, "Oh, so...my brother/sister/husband/wife/boyfriend/son/daughter/girlfriend has a problem and nothing seems to work. What did YOU do?"

I've rarely found the truth to be hurtful once I got onto a solid path of recovery. Early on though, you should probably watch what you say and to whom you say it.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
...it is neither substances nor sex addiction that is my problem; it is my desire to avoid my feelings that has ultimately led to all of my addictions.
Hear hear!

Thanks, DL.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

lying to myself and others was a huge part of my drinking past..it's not part of my recovery. the same with shame.
I told each new employer and all my doctors that I was an alcoholic now in recovery.

My car had a bumper sticker with the AA symbol...I often wear an AA slogan
shirt in public.....I carry my current medallion in the change compartment of my bill fold thus people do see it....

like DT these have given me many chances to assist someone else...

Yes I was a public drinker who is now a public recovered woman. Wow! I'm so grateful!
I'm also hopeing by my actions....to lessen the stigma y'all are experienceing...:

Last edited by CarolD; 06-27-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Carol makes an important point I think.

I'm not an activist, by any means, and I no longer proclaim my sobriety from the rooftops, as I had a tendency to do in my early days....

but everyone knew me as a drunk - now everyone knows me as a reformed alcoholic....
and when it's appropriate to introduce myself as an alcoholic I do.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 06-27-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

WHO says it is

well, if we will base on the fact that the World Health Organization is stimulating the data collection on epidemiology of alcohol use to create worldwide awareness on the severity of this problem, then it is indeed a disease. It affects a person emotionally, mentally, physically and even socially. But unlike other ailments that are dependent on medications, this disease is something that requires self-determination to be sober again. In alcoholism, healing starts from within.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
WHO says it is?

Originally Posted by caringnurse View Post
well, if we will base on the fact that the World Health Organization is stimulating the data collection on epidemiology of alcohol use to create worldwide awareness on the severity of this problem, then it is indeed a disease. It affects a person emotionally, mentally, physically and even socially. But unlike other ailments that are dependent on medications, this disease is something that requires self-determination to be sober again. In alcoholism, healing starts from within.
Not quite. I read the WHO "Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health 2011", and although there are sections on "How alcohol causes disease and injury" and "The burden of disease attributable to alcohol", there is no indication that alcoholism is considered a disease by the WHO.

From Lexicon of alcohol and drug terms published by the World Health Organization:

Alcoholic:
An individual who suffers from alcoholism. Note that this noun has a different meaning from the adjective in alcoholic beverage.
alcoholism (F10.2):
A term of long-standing use and variable meaning, generally taken to refer to chronic continual drinking or periodic consumption of alcohol which is characterized by impaired control over drinking, frequent episodes of intoxication, and preoccupation with alcohol and the use of alcohol despite adverse consequences. The term alcoholism was originally coined in 1849 by Magnus Huss. Untill the 1940s it referred primarily to the physical consequences of long-term heavy drinking (beta alcoholism in Jellinek's typology). A narrower concept is of alcoholism as a disease (see alcoholism, disease concept of) marked by loss of control over drinking, caused by a pre-existing biological abnormality, and having a predictable progressive course. Later, the term was used by Jellinek and others to denote the consumption of alcohol leading to any type of harm (physical, psychological, or social; individual or societal). Jellinek subdivided alcoholism thus defined into a series of "species" designated by Greek letters (see Jellinek's typology). The inexactness of the term led a 1979 WHO Expert Committee* to disfavour it, preferring the narrower formulation of alcohol dependence syndrome as one among a wide range of alcohol-related problems. Alcoholism is not included as a diagnostic entity in ICD-IO (see dependence syndrome). Despite its ambiguous meaning, alcoholism is still widely employed as a diagnostic and descriptive term. For instance, in 1990 the American Society of Addiction Medicine defined alcoholism as "a primary, chronic disease with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. The disease is often progressive and fatal. It is characterized by continuous or periodic: impaired control over drinking, preoccupation with the drug alcohol, use of alcohol despite adverse consequences, and distortions in thinking, most notably denial." Other formulations have split alcoholism into various types, some regarded as diseases and some not (see Jellinek's typology). Distinctions are made between essential alcoholism and reactive alcoholism, where "essential" indicates that alcoholism is not secondary to or precipitated by some other condition; between primary and secondary alcoholism, to indicate the order of onset in cases of dual diagnosis; and between Type I and Type II alcoholism, the latter having a male-linked, strongly genetic component. In older usage, dipsomania (episodic drinking) and alcohol addiction referred to loss-of-control drinking: inebriety also had a broader reference to habitual intoxication and its harmful effects.

* Problems related to alcohol consumption. Report of a WHO Expert Committee. Geneva. World Health Organization, 1980 (WHO Technical Report Series, No.650).
alcoholism, disease concept of:
The belief that alcoholism is a condition of primary biological causation and predictable natural history, conforming to accepted definitions of a disease. They lay perspective of Alcoholics Anonymous (1939)-that alcoholism, characterized by the individual’s loss of control over drinking and thus over his or her life, was a "sickness"-was carried into the scholarly literature in the 1950s in the form of the disease concept of alcoholism. The concept was rooted in 19th-century medical and lay conceptions of inebriety as a disease. In 1977, a WHO Group of Investigators* responding to the loose and varying usage of alcoholism, proposed substituting the term alcohol dependence syndrome in psychiatric nosology. By analogy

*Edwards G et al. Alcohol-related disabilities. Geneva. World Health Organization, 1977 (WHO Offset Publication. No.32).1 with drug dependence, alcohol dependence has found general acceptance in current nosologies.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I really liked what Darklight wrote...hit home for me! I denied my feelings for so long...buried them time and time again....is alcoholism a disease? well it's certainly not something I'm willing to test by going out and trying to "control" again!!! To me, Life is to short to waste on BOOZE!!!