Notices

Questions for Antabuse/Disulfiram users

Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions for Antabuse/Disulfiram users

Hi,

I have lurked this site for quite some time. I eventually joined and finally I think I am ready to begin some posting.

I got sober for the first time ever Nov 1. 2010. November and December went exceptionally well with the exception of one relapse (aka wanted to be drunk more than I wanted to be sober). Mentally during this period I felt like I was getting very sharp again. Things were just starting to feel...very comfortable. No bad anxiety or paranoia or depression, remembering things quite well too.

Now, I began taking antabuse on Dec 22. 2010. I have been taking 1500mgs per week (250mgs Mon-Thur and 500mgs Fri) since then. What I have been experiencing is the bad taste in my mouth constantly along with the smell my wife mentions as well. As the time has been moving along I feel like my memory is just shot and my brain mush a lot of the time. I feel more anxiety and just don't feel "right" anymore. I was talking with a woman there today after taking it and she had a lot of my exact complaints and told me not to feel alone when feeling that way. My lawyer has also stressed that it's absolute poison as he works with those on antabuse on a frequent basis. Though he is all about recovery and applauds me in it. While I see others who use it on a daily basis I don't really get the chance to chat with them since they are all strangers. It just so happened I had seen this woman a few times before and she initiated the conversation both times (I'm shy around strangers). Other than this experience I do feel alone in how I've been feeling. The medical people dispensing it to me won't say a negative thing about the drug other than the side effects of feeling light headed and the taste in the mouth, so they aren't of much help.

Is there anyone out there that has experienced with this type of thing? I am going to be taking this for a number of years I fear. Perhaps this is just the road of early sobriety? Then sometimes I feel like I'm just going crazy and it's not the antabuse but I just don't have anything to compare it to. This is my first time ever sober in 10 years of abuse. Is this just life on life's terms and now I need to continue in my recovery to gain back the pieces of sanity or what? Perhaps a combination of them both, I just don't know.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

You really need to talk to the dr who prescribed the antabuse to you about your concerns with taking the medication. And, if you feel he doesn't answer your questions, then try another dr.

I have not taken antabuse, though others here have, but, in my opinion, it's not essential to recovery if that's what you're wondering.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well I can't actually speak with the doctor who prescribes it, only the medical staff that works there. I only saw a doctor that gave me a basic physical before being prescribed. I'm not really exactly sure if it was him who writes the prescription or if it is the entire organization through the courts. Stopping the medication isn't a wise option in this program. I'm prepared to deal with it if I must, but perhaps I just need more mental health attention paid in my program/road to recovery?

I'm just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences to me while on the drug.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you do an SR search you will find other threads
about Antabuse and our experiences with it.

All my best...welcome to the posting side of SR...