Notices

Hardest drug to come off of?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

agreed ainslie, the hardest drug is the one you're trying to give up. maybe it's not even a drug, but some addiction, whether it be mental or psychological.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
My councillor said to me the other day that alcohol is by far the hardest drug to come off of once you are reliant/dependant on it.

I don't know how true that is, but if it is true then you've got to have respect for people who successfully get sober.

I'm just worried that if I acheive my goal of being sober for a long period of time, that i'll turn into one of those annoying, sanctimonious, preaching types who constantly go on about how they've kicked a habit and look down on anyone who picks one up!
Its probably harder because its readily available, legal and socially acceptable until you get a dui, health problem or act like an idiot while drunk.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Act like an idiot when drunk who me?:rotfxko

I think it depends on what stage you are at when you quit alcohol? Chronic stage the dt's are a son-of-a-*****

Heroin withdrawl is up there w/being very painful and again depends on how long you used and how much.

My thoughts are whatever you are coming down from if you are the least bit afraid that is what detox and hospitals are for.

Lastly, remember unless you have MD in front of your name chances are its not a real good idea to play one:rotfxko
Old 03-03-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
In the morning the people on heroin etc would walk out of the van feeling like crap, but some of the alcoholics would wakeup dead.
Zombie drunks? Sorry, just had to chuckle at that. No offense, Matt.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I guess it all depends really.

For me alcohol was a cake to come off of. I am 34 days sober and I still dont have any desire to pick up a bottle. It does seem odd because I drank for 3 and a half years straight and I dont why I couldnt even put down the bottle for a week. But then I come off for good and I dont have any desire. Im just glad that it's one less problem on my platter because I dont need anymore :P
Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have always heard from the Dr's I have worked with and in my HO from what I have witnessed is that Benzos are by far the hardest. But, that really happens when people take more than prescribed for extended periods of time and stop cold turkey. When I worked in a Hospital we had people show up in the ER literally threatning to blow their brains out if they could not get refills of whatever Benzo they had been abusing-it's pretty bad...

But, we also had people come in who could not get their hands on Alcohol (bars and liquor stores closed) that for some reason would down a bottle of Listerine or Hairspray and end up VIOLENTLY ill..Now I have really been desperate for alcohol before when I could not get some, but that never crossed my mind. I'd just do a few shots of Nyquil and pass out for a while. Not pretty either...
Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Coming off a drinking spree with rubbing alcohol and mouthwash is brutal. I have never heard of drinking hairspray though? Yikes I just that was a YET for me.