Notices

I Really Want to Drink Right Now

Old 02-12-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeBlows View Post
I know this sounds odd (but please understand I appreciate everyone’s help yesterday I’m very grateful for that) but I feel very resentful right now that I cannot drink. The weekend was a time when I would just zone out. Basically just be able to retreat into my own head and drift away. When I was driving to work today, I felt sad that I would not be able to sip on a drink while I sat through another Saturday at work.
I don't feel any joy at having made it through Friday sober although I understand how important it was to do so and I fully understand the benefits to be attained by staying sober.

Did this happen to anyone else?
You just nailed exactly what I'm feeling these days. I'm proud of myself for staying sober & there are positives that come along with my sobriety. However, I used to use alcohol as a reward system to get me through work & be able to drink on weekends and I am going through the "grieving" stage of the loss of alcohol. If booze didn't have any nasty side effects on my health I'd still be drinking. Not an option anymore for me. Congrats on beating those urges!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

" I felt sad that I would not be able to sip on a drink while I sat through another Saturday at work."

If it was just a drink ...none of us would be there. I don't know about you but a drink skyrocketed to MANY in no time flat. 1 led to black outs. So you can be sad about not being able to have A DRINK..but be glad that you realize that leads to several and you are working your way thru the drunk..hangover..drunk..hangover..cycle!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Did I resent not drinking? For a while. Did I resent the "Normal" folks who can drink without a problem? Sure, and maybe still do. I gave up my shot at normal drinking thousands and thousands of drinks ago, when maybe I could have moderated.

You will make great strides in your recovery when you grasp that you can't drink anymore. That never means never unless you want to return to all the grief alcohol causes you.

Glad you made it through...
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Overwhelmed

Thanks. I thought I was crazy for resenting that I cannot drink after all the trouble it has caused in my life.
OK, I have a word for what I'm feeling - overwhelmed. Its not just being able to feel emotions now its being so aware of all the sensations going on with my body (like yesterday I suddenly realized that I could feel the air going in and out of my nose and how it blew across my upper lip)
I am registering the sensation of the fabric rubbing against my skin. Stuff like that. My skin feels hypersensitive or like I have a mild ache (like when you have the flu coming on)
I know that given time I will probably become accustomed to feeling these things but now it just feels like so much.
When I first started to drink spirits (I started off with gin) the thing I loved most was the way it made me feel numb. I believe that my face would start to feel numb first and then the sensation of numbness would start at the tips of my toes and the tips of my fingers and work its way up.
I've heard people who have had near death experiences say that same thing - that they felt coldness from the tips of their toes and fingers work its way up their body.
Right now, I just want to shut down for a little bit.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

LB...I had forgotten that heightened sense of awareness. You described it perfectly..it was just in the 1st couple of weeks. The feel of clothing on your skin. The dull ache..actually hearing yourself breath. I remember thinking have I really been that out of it. It gets better with each day. The part I really liked was waking. No hangover. ALERT! Being hungover daily anyone speaking at least for the 1st part of each day was more like background noise I was never tuned into. Now..I actually follow conversations and participate! I have always been outgoing..but not for the 1st few hours of the day. I didn't call in sick ..for one thing I was hungover every day so what day would you choose to call in! I am forever grateful that I woke up and realized alcohol had turned on me to the point where I was no longer living. Good to be out of the zombie zone is what I wanted to say!!! Shut down..you deserve it!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just wanted to chime in my 2 cents. Its a damn shame that the details being talked about in this thread are hush hush secret AA knowledge. I wish this stuff was known to all even the casual drinker who only risks getting trashed around Christmas.

Alcohol for me.. its like.. I become a different person. Whether I'm drinking it. Whether I'm hung over from it. Whether its a week out and I haven't had one but I think I want one desperately.

I want you to imagine for a second that your entire day was only spent in creative or productive activities. You went to work and did an awesome job. Relationships at work are developing hand in hand with your good performance. After work you go work out. You're tempted to skip out early but tough it out because working out is important to your goals. You go home. You call or text friends and family members, because you have been through a lot in life and know that the quick 5 or 10 minute call keeps that relationship healthy. Finally you unwind however that is that you do (watching a movie, show, reading, playing a game, going on the net, etc). Maybe you come on this site, or reach out to others in another way. You pray before bed, at peace with the world. You go to sleep and have restful dreams.

Now I want you to imagine a day when you called into work. You threw up in the morning. You could barely leave your bed. You've called out a few times before and you know how disappointed everyone is in your behavior. You don't think you'll get canned. You tell yourself this is the last time but you know its bs. You know whats coming. You skip working out because your head is swimming your body aches and you doubt you could move your body more than 20 feet without throwing up again. A couple of your friends call. Annoyed, you turn your phone off and try to go back to bed, but you can't because you feel horrible. Some of the friends calling you are worried but it doesn't matter. Maybe they'll give up calling you. Some of them you haven't talked to in months even though you used to hang out everyday. Oh well. Feeling a little better you try to sleep again. You are racked by anxiety and guilt. You sleep for a little while only to have nightmares. You start to think about tomorrow and the next day and the day after that and realize you have only negative things to look forward to. Your boss is a jerk (so you think). Your friends are all doing better than you financially and its annoying because you have nothing to brag about. Your family is proud of you because you're family, but really you've done nothing for them to brag about. Sometimes you have trouble looking them in the eye because you feel shame. You find some game to play. It occupies your time. Thank God it makes you forget about your life for a little while until the hangover is gone and you can drink again.

The first day is the day I had today without alcohol. The second day is the day I lived way too many times in drinking.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK you got me - whats the hush hush secret AA knowledge UNY?

I felt resentful for a long time actually LifeBlows- I'd convinced myself I was just fine except for one thing - 'if only I could just drink normally' everything in my life would be great.

It took quite a bit of sober time for my perceptions to clear and to become self aware enough to realise what a utter load of lies that was.

D
Old 02-12-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR LillieB
Glad you've joined the posting side

D
Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yeah what was hush hush? Anyway I just wanted to add that you are not crazy to resent not being able to drink... sometimes I resent not being able to just be "normal" and have a drink like everybody else.

But there are plenty of things that I wish would be different about my life if I lived in a perfect (for me) world. I wish I could drink normally, wish I could be a homeowner again, wish I were 15 lbs. thinner and wish I could run more than 10 miles a week without having my injury act up. But I have to take life on life's terms. If I had all those things, there would probably be other things I wanted.

On balance my life is pretty darn good. The fact that I can't drink is part of the package I've got, and it's a pretty nice package. Focus on all the things you CAN do now that you're sober'

GG
Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks. I thought I was crazy for resenting that I cannot drink after all the trouble it has caused in my life.
OK, I have a word for what I'm feeling - overwhelmed.
Hi. Hope your are doing alright. Your post really makes me think of a chapter in our big book called "A Vision For You." If you have the book, I suggest you read it.

Thinking we are crazy for resenting ( to hate ) that I cannot drink. I hate that I cannot drink, even after all of the trouble it has caused in my life.

I hate that I cannot drink.

How about I hate that I still think that alcohol is good for me?

How about I hate that sobriety isn't enough or that I am not happy about my sobriety?

Check this out:

"He cannot picture life without alcohol. Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without it."

That's overwhelming. It's confusing. How can we imagine a life different from what we have always known?

How can we hate that we cannot drink when it has always hurt us?

Easy. We are delusional. We cannot differentiate the true from the false.

So. What do we do about it?

We sure as anything don't nurse this resentment that we cannot drink.

We are sure to drink if we do. Poor me, I cannot drink. Who says I can't. I can do whatever I want, so there...and around we go again.

I know, I have done it, over and over again.

What can we do? We have two choices. Drink, or stay sober.

How do we stay sober? We work a program of action outlined in the book of AA. We have two options, booze or program of recovery.

How is your program of recovery at this stage?

What step are you on?

Maybe I should back up...Are you in AA? I am way ahead of myself, forgive me, as I am!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good job, LB!

I get the resentment thing as well...I'm not surprised it's pretty common. I accept that I cannot drink like "normal" people. I like the allergy theory laid out in the Big Book...alcoholics are "allergic" to alcohol and the only cure for allergies is to cease all contact with the allergen. When I first read that I poo-poohed the notion but on second reading and reflection it made sense.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My weight is something I feel pretty badly about and its my dream to finally lose the weight so I can start dating again. If I drink I'll just sabotage all the hardwork that I just did at the gym. Extremely counterproductive.
Don't wait until you lose weight to start dating again. Dating is not something that only skinny people are allowed to do. Date someone from the gym who is approximately as overweight as you are, and you can help motivate each other. Then, when you're both down to your ideal weights, you'll know that your SO was willing to look past your fat and cared about more important things.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I Pick the First Day

Originally Posted by UniqueNewYork View Post
Just wanted to chime in my 2 cents. Its a damn shame that the details being talked about in this thread are hush hush secret AA knowledge. I wish this stuff was known to all even the casual drinker who only risks getting trashed around Christmas.

Alcohol for me.. its like.. I become a different person. Whether I'm drinking it. Whether I'm hung over from it. Whether its a week out and I haven't had one but I think I want one desperately.

I want you to imagine for a second that your entire day was only spent in creative or productive activities. You went to work and did an awesome job. Relationships at work are developing hand in hand with your good performance. After work you go work out. You're tempted to skip out early but tough it out because working out is important to your goals. You go home. You call or text friends and family members, because you have been through a lot in life and know that the quick 5 or 10 minute call keeps that relationship healthy. Finally you unwind however that is that you do (watching a movie, show, reading, playing a game, going on the net, etc). Maybe you come on this site, or reach out to others in another way. You pray before bed, at peace with the world. You go to sleep and have restful dreams.

Now I want you to imagine a day when you called into work. You threw up in the morning. You could barely leave your bed. You've called out a few times before and you know how disappointed everyone is in your behavior. You don't think you'll get canned. You tell yourself this is the last time but you know its bs. You know whats coming. You skip working out because your head is swimming your body aches and you doubt you could move your body more than 20 feet without throwing up again. A couple of your friends call. Annoyed, you turn your phone off and try to go back to bed, but you can't because you feel horrible. Some of the friends calling you are worried but it doesn't matter. Maybe they'll give up calling you. Some of them you haven't talked to in months even though you used to hang out everyday. Oh well. Feeling a little better you try to sleep again. You are racked by anxiety and guilt. You sleep for a little while only to have nightmares. You start to think about tomorrow and the next day and the day after that and realize you have only negative things to look forward to. Your boss is a jerk (so you think). Your friends are all doing better than you financially and its annoying because you have nothing to brag about. Your family is proud of you because you're family, but really you've done nothing for them to brag about. Sometimes you have trouble looking them in the eye because you feel shame. You find some game to play. It occupies your time. Thank God it makes you forget about your life for a little while until the hangover is gone and you can drink again.

The first day is the day I had today without alcohol. The second day is the day I lived way too many times in drinking.
Wow unique, that second day is something that I have lived all too many times. When I meet friends who have married or have been in stable long term relationships its like a knife in my heart because I see what I a missing when I shut myself up in my room and drink instead of going out and making friends. It kind of brings it home how far behind I am falling professionally, socially, emotionally, financially.

I think what unique is referring to when she says the top secret hush hush AA knowledge is the actual progression from social drinker to alcohol abuse to outright alcoholism. It is much more subtle than you see discussed anywhere else. Personally that's why I have always preferred personal accounts of addiction because they provide far more detail about that progression.
There are many effects of alcohol abuse / addiction that I never heard about until I went to AA meetings like: depression, paranoia, isolation, what it really means to have liver disease (someone posted a link on here to a former musician who was dying of liver disease. What I do recall is that his liver had finally started to disintegrate inside his body and just before he died he only had a dime sized piece of liver left. I didn't know that could happen) and so on.
Those quizzes you find online, and even the AA one are useless I think except for someone who has slid right into alcoholism and perhaps if people knew what to look for then we might be able to catch people before they hit crisis.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Great thread. A couple of people asked me what I meant by hush hush secret. The whole thread is good but a couple of posts were what triggered my comment:

Originally Posted by julez View Post
The thing is, if you give in to this now, drink, get drunk, spend tomorrow hungover and hating yourself.....
Then wish to quit again...
You will experience these feelings again, and again, and again.
This anxiety you feel is normal. If you overcome it, you are that much closer to being done with the cycle!!
I just want to stop by the LCBO on my way home and buy something to drink and then sit infront of the TV and wait for Dateline Mysteries.
I feel afraid. Its like free floating fear, not of anything in particular. I want to be alone. I feel restless/ itchy (not actual itchiness). I know that if I drink I will feel better temporarily. But these days I feel so ashamed to walk into the LCBO because I'm there everyday. Every once in a while I will see someone that I just know is an alcoholic and I wonder if people can look at me and tell.
At the same time I feel so afraid that I will do something that will set me right back to zero, no job, no money, no school.

I miss drinking right now. Not trying to provoke anyone that's just how I feel. I feel upset, like I might cry. I want to rake my skin so that I can feel physical pain but i'm not brave enough to do it.
Its just.. ive been to my share of meetings. Its not as common that people talk about how vulnerable the illness makes you in the mind, not just in the physical world a place of actions and people places things. No one wants to admit that they have fears and anxieties, rational or irrational, even though its a perfectly human response and in our case intense beyond the norm.

"Every once in a while I will see someone that I just know is an alcoholic and I wonder if people can look at me and tell." To me that is so deep. I know that a lot of us have thought this before, thinking "I can spot that guy as an alcoholic a mile away.. I wonder if people know I'm one too.." but again its one of those things I don't hear people talk about. Its just so self aware. The drinking cripples our self awareness and our understanding of our surroundings. To see another alcoholic make observations like these, its a beautiful thing.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK now I get it - I think that's a hush hush human thing, or maybe a hush hush alcoholic thing...but not exclusively a hush hush AA thing - though I appreciate that's where you've experienced it

Thanks for illuminating that a little more

D
Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I relapsed on Sunday. What happened? I just felt too on edge. Anyway I went to the doctor on Monday because when I woke up I just couldn’t go to work. Yes I felt hung over but no worse than the other times I drank. This time it was more like I just couldn’t bring myself to leave the house. I just couldn’t, so I called in sick. The next day, same thing. Anyway I did the smart thing and got a doctors note. She told me not to try and stop drinking on my own ever again and told me about a self referral addictions centre that is like 10 minute drive from my home. 15 at most. I’m going to go.
Up until this time that I drank I had managed to be on time for like 3 weeks in a row which is a record for me. Showered, shaved and fed. I haven’t had a bath since Sunday. I’m wearing clean clothes and underwear though. I hope that I don’t look back at this and cringe in shame.
I have some money left. I could use it to pay a traffic ticket or I could drink it. I am going to use it to pay the ticket which is past due because other wise you would have a warrant out for your arrest. Since the car is in my mother’s name, the warrant would be out for her. It would mean that or having to beg someone for money to pay for it. I don’t want to do that. I would rather go without than beg for money. I HATE, HATE, HATE asking anyone for money.
So I guess today is my first day sober. Anyway, when I talked to my primary care provider she gave me some lorazepam to take the edge off. Only 3 weeks of it though. It doesn’t feel like anything. I wish I had asked for help last week before I relapsed.
I hope I don’t smell too funky for words.
I’m sad that I have no more money to drink. That’s the thing about being responsible. I’m sad that I missed 2 days of work. When I woke up today I wanted to take a personal emergency day but I’m too afraid of being fired. Not being able to help my mum or pay for school or the gym, being fired from yet ANOTHER job would just kill me. Especially since my game plan was to get in here and do a really good job and then try and fineigle a promotion to an accounting / finance job.
When I drink I feel afraid to leave the house. I don’t want to get out of bed or see anyone. I feel extremely upset if I see anyone. I want to be completely and utterly alone. I think that’s the thing I miss most about being able to drink (other than being able to zone out) is the feeling of aloneness.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Do whatever you can to stay sober. Maybe it's a good thing there is no money to buy alcohol.

It may not seem like it now, as your mind cries out for what it thinks it needs, but we don't need something that ultimately destroys us and those around us.

Glad you went to see a doctor and you have medicine to help you with a safe withdrawal.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Maybe this will help you, maybe not- I have made a list of things I want for myself. If I am considering engaging in a particular activity- like drinking- I ask myself if and how it will or won't help me attain my self appointed goals. If it deters me from what I want to accomplish, I turn it down. I try to think of alternatives that will help me achieve my personal goals. And the rest can f*** off because this is my one life and I'm in it for me. How about you?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I needed to read this right now - thank you!!
Old 02-02-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

THANK u

Thanks for reminding me
This helped me today NOT drink....