Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

changes one can expect between one month and two months sober

Notices

changes one can expect between one month and two months sober

Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days Lead!

I'm working my way to 60 days now. I have been leveling off more but still get A LOT of ups and downs. The sugar cravings have gone down a little but I'm still gaining weight like crazy(not all bad as I lost way too much drinking). Mental obsession is still hanging in there but the big cravings/urges have gone down(some) The cockiness that got me through the first 30 disappeared as I realized that thisis a life long choice and I got scared. I have felt more feelings all together. Actual pride in doing this has started to seep in. As for the "mental clarity" I think I'm just starting to see what that is.

All in all I'd say it gets a little bit better but shows that there is still a long path ahead of us.

Hang tough buddy, I'm rooting for you
Old 12-22-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lead may not answer - this is a 2011 thread

D
Old 12-22-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have seen people do a complete 180 degree turn in a month.
I have also seen people not change one bit, but they stopped the drink problem, and nothing else changed!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I like this thread alot. After a few weeks (month) so many believe they are cured and go back. Alot goes on in month 2. More confidence, less cravings, for me the mental obsession was gone.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

First off, Congratulations on the 30 days!! I remember getting to that point myself and being shocked yet satisfied that I had made it ...that was only about a month and a half ago today..
I am noticing, that as I transition into month 3 of sobriety, that I truly like being off booze- I never thought I could live a satisfied life w/o it but it's happening. This also involved getting my mental health straight w/a doctor and taking proper medical measures, and with credit to my Higher Power most of all, promises are being fulfilled already..

I truly believe now, even as a newcomer, that life really does almost magically get better the longer we stay off alcohol-
Whether you want to attribute it to God, or improved karma, it's all one in the same really- You have essentially opened yourself up to the floodgates of blessings rather than stifling it ... Maybe this is just where I'm finding myself at this point in time
Old 02-15-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

to the op and other respondents i would just like to share: my experience is that the dirty-30 is the hardest, but after that your body can begin healing and your mind sorting things out via the help of god's will.

thank you, and thank god you are all here.

i have just done another 30 in a remote place and was feeling quite alone.

i feel much less alone with all of you now and no, i ain't in longwood, at the moment. lols.

love you all.

take care.

f.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I came across this post purely by chance on my 31st day sober. I feel exactly the same way about all aspects mentioned. I am finding the emotional aspects that have come with my first month sober to be the most challenging. Also I have eaten so much sugary food this month that I feel the accomplishment of staying sober has been lessened by being so unhealthy. Hoping that this will get better and that I can find the willpower for my diet too.

Originally Posted by mynewway View Post
Hey Kevin,
You and I are on about the same time line. Tonight is day 31 sober for me after making a new years resolution to stay sober. I can say that right now I am kind of an emotional rollercoaster. At times I feel really hopeful about my life and the future of sobriety. I see myself feeling and looking good and being a good father and husband. Other times I am filled with a kind of an anxiety because I worry about going back to my old ways and kind of a hopeless feeling... even though I am in control, it is hard to explain.

Maybe someone else can help me understand what I am feeling?
Old 08-31-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by petem View Post
Hoping that this will get better...
Welcome. As someone who is just days away from five years without a drink, I can assure you, it will get better, amazingly better, if you embrace the sober life.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard petem

Like Carl said - you won't believe how much better things get

D
Old 08-31-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day 46 47 not sure, but month one was rough, month 2 is rough so far but im learning everyday and slowly getting better
Old 08-31-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

congratulations 30 days!! I am on 68 days and I am still very tired. Some days I have a ton of energy and others just so fatigued I cant do much. But still wake up every morning without a hangover which is great! thought I would lose a bunch of weight right away but the sugar cravings kicked in stong and I gave in. I have not gained but not lost either. staring month 3 I feel as if the sugar cravings a going away and I have more will power to not give in. However, I would not change the way I ate sweets the first 2 months it really helped me if for nothing else but to have something to look forward to after a meal. Good luck on your 2nd month!!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well done on your 30 days.. I'm on my 51st day today and i am still quite exhausted, and finding it almost impossible to fall asleep for an hour or two after getting into bed. At least i'm not waking up every morning at 3am with a horrendous hangover though... That was my daily routine...
I am sure that after abusing our bodies for so long-it will take a time of adjustment to get things right again, but at least i am doing it sober-just as you are too!!
Good luck for the next 30 days!!! x
Old 08-31-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Petem
Old 08-31-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This is a great thread . To reiterate , were all different . In my case when I got a 2 year sober with AA help 2008-10 I found the earlier days easier after the initial drying out part of course . It was the later Months that I had to be careful , when I felt great and healed I kidded myself on I could pick it back up and quite quickly I was back to square one . So please watch out for that .
Anyway Im on day 6 and beginning to see a bit clearer . Oh and i,m 5 years older which has its own drawbacks . Just one day at a time
Old 09-01-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

The first six weeks were very challenging for me emotionally. I would suddenly become quite depressed for seemingly no reason. Other days I would be riding an emotional high. For me, I think that was aggravated by not sleeping for more than 3-4 hours a night initially. Hang in there! I started to sleep at around six weeks and the roller coaster slowed down. I drank for decades and my brain took a while to learn how to deal with life without being saturated in booze. Unfortunately, I still have the sweet cravings at day 137. I was drinking so much rum and wine that my body got used to all of that sugar. I figure eating a few cookies will be better in the long run than having a few drinks!
Old 09-01-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

3 Scottish shortbread fingers and a sweet cupa tea on its way for you stargazer.
( shortbread is a buttery sweet biscuit )
Old 09-01-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

3 months ish here. Really started to notice the flat effect has levelled out. Starting to have occasional really good days when I just have a general feeling of well being, calm and positive energy. Having far less "bad days" where I am listless and depressed and anxious. I'm still not very social but not drinking has become easier than ever.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thought I'd bump this in case anyone else around the 30 day mark also finds it encouraging.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

When you walk by mirrors in department stores and look at your reflection you won't feel so damn bad about how you look.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only change I can guarantee is that in your second month, you'll be a month older.

Hard to say the difference between one and two months. Both are early in recovery and often a roller coaster of a ride.

Give yourself six months sober and then look back and you'll see the changes that have crept up on you.