SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   How did you celebrate your 1 year sobriety date?? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/218058-how-did-you-celebrate-your-1-year-sobriety-date.html)

loveon2legs 01-18-2011 09:11 AM

How did you celebrate your 1 year sobriety date??

Hi everyone!
I'm just curious, as to how those of you have reached the one year...how you celebrated it.... I know in AA you get a cake! I'm not in AA but will be celebrating one year next week! I'm looking so forward to it!! :)

Mark75 01-18-2011 09:26 AM

Come here to SR and celebrate, and more importantly, tell us how you did it!

rws177 01-18-2011 09:29 AM

In St. Louis they have a place called Skyzone that is a giant dodeball place on trampolines. All my friends and the girl I was dating where there, it was such a great and magical day for me. Had pizza and cake there too, I will never ever forget that day or night as long as I live. The other day I was looking at pictures of it and almost teared up.

Also my friend who hit a year a few months before me had a BBQ which was really nice as well. Lots of food and friends. I'd just be sure to treat yourself to something special with those who loved and supported you this past year.

least 01-18-2011 09:38 AM

I cleaned the whole house!:)

Kjell 01-18-2011 09:44 AM

I didn't, but I really don't celebrate my real bday either, but that's just me. I know both bdays are very important to some folks and I totally respect that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy I've been a year sober, but I just don't feel the need to celebrate something I should have been doing all along :)

Congrats!

BullDog777 01-18-2011 02:33 PM

i bought myself a new car

barb dwyer 01-18-2011 02:40 PM

I got a standing ovation when I got my first year coin.

you talk about a group...suffering right along with someone - LOL
I bet they ALL felt like they deserved something!
And truly - they did.

I had one friend take me to dinner and a movie.

I bought myself a 'frock' (new garment)

I went back over my journal
and read entries
and let myself see just how far I'd come.

I figure I dragged it out to about ... a week. LOL!

Bamboozle 01-18-2011 02:55 PM

I got a cat a couple of months after I hit the mark. :) She's my little baby.

loveon2legs 01-18-2011 02:58 PM

Hi Bam! I have two kitties! aren't they wonderful!! I know they will be celebrating for me as well!!! ;) think I will treat them to some special wet food!!!

LexieCat 01-18-2011 05:46 PM

I went to an AA meeting. I was very grateful for my year and wanted to share it with the people in the Fellowship who helped me.

CarolD 01-18-2011 06:50 PM

I was the speaker at my AA homegroup....
my closest AA friend presented me with my 1st. medallion..
we had cake and ice cream....:yup:

Toronto68 01-18-2011 07:08 PM

Didn't. :( Boo hoo. It mighht have been nice, but I don't really have anybody that knows and is tuned into it other than me. And it would have been like saying it's my birthday, and that would have been silly for me to do. I have done that in the past and hated myself for it. The most I got out of it was dropping a few lines about it here and finding the nice remarks when I got back.

gravity 01-18-2011 09:36 PM

It's a good day to reflect on things, comparing your life now to how it was in the past. Sometimes it doesn't really seem like I'm making any progress on a day to day basis but when I look back, the changes are huge! :)

I usually take a friend out for supper to mark each month of sobriety - still amazed that I am a sober dude, loving life! :)

marni 01-18-2011 10:49 PM

Congratulations on 1 year sober, :c029:

I celebrated my 1 year by going out for a candlelit dinner with my husband.
He chose the restaurant, we dressed up and had a wonderful night. I figure he deserved to celebrate as much as l did after offering endless support through my first year of recovery.

The first step towards change is acceptance.
Once you accept yourself you open the door to change.
Change is not something you do, it's something you allow.
Will Garcia.

AmericanGirl 01-19-2011 08:46 AM

Hi L! I have three months until mine. It will nearly coincide with my 30th birthday. I'm thinking -- weekend getaway. We shall see. :) Definitely tell us what you end up doing!

Upstairs 01-19-2011 09:46 AM

Congrats on the one year! I'll be there in 2012, I hope. Course that is supposed to be the year the world ends.

smacked 01-19-2011 11:29 AM

I didn't.. other than a little internal 'woohoo!'. My husband wanted to go out to dinner and things like that but to me, it's not something I need a parade in my honor for. I did what I had to do to get my **** together and live my life..I do not need to be congratulated for it, I live it every day. My second year went by with even less fanfare inside.. other than some reflection about how wonderful my life is now, and then I went about my day. To me it's not like I'm doing something extra special and fantastic, I'm just living healthy.

That's just me tho :)

loveon2legs 01-19-2011 03:58 PM

I'm not sure what I will be doing! I like to honour milestones (just me) I have always loved a reason to celebrate!!!! :)

I'll let you guys know!! :)

DayTrader 01-19-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by BullDog777 (Post 2835614)
i bought myself a new car

Should-a bought a new dishwasher.

ba-da...bump!

AWOL 01-19-2011 08:33 PM

I celebrate my one year next week -- attending a wedding on a wine farm. There will be champagne corks popping, wine pouring, beer flowing. There will be punch and aperitiffs, cocktails and irish coffees, kalulas and contreaus. The extraordinary thing is that if I was attending the same wedding a year ago, right now I would already be enthusiastically looking forward to the French champagne, the vintage wine, a half dozen beers, oblivion, and the obligatory jack-hammer head the next day. This time round, I'm looking forward to sharing the joy of the couple getting married.
Wow, I can't wait!