Notices

Attempting a sober life for the first time

Old 01-15-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attempting a sober life for the first time

Well it was a week ago that I found these SR forums and at that time I had planned on that being my “day 1” but I couldn’t even pull that off, I didn't even get a full sober day in. I continued my daily habit of 12 or so beers a day all week, including last night.

Today I've spent most of my time reading here on SR and I've convenienced myself to give this another go. This is a great community you all have going here and I need to get in on this. My best guess is I haven’t had a sober day in over 5years, so I clearly have a problem and have now admitted to myself that I'm a full on alcoholic. When I woke up today I was impressed that I actually woke up and was alive, that's how bad my drinking is and where alcohol has lead me.

The urge to drink is already here and it sounds like I'll being going through a lot of withdrawal symptoms

I do however, have a positive attitude going at the moment so hopefully I can keep that going. This site alone has given me so much encouragement and I feel much more comfortable about taking on the mess I have ahead of me. I just have to keep telling myself to take it one day at a time, well one hour at a time right now, and make it on the next day.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi Rez

You haven't failed to quit
you just learned you can't do it alone is all.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Rez, you have the one thing that is needed for membership...the desire too quit. Lots of great people here. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rez....the last thing you should do is beat yourself up for drinking when you want to stop.

I couldn't get sober on my own so I called AA and found a local meeting. It was the support of other alcoholics that carried me through the early days as I've helped others today. Some people can simply stop drinking on their own, I'm not one of them.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 2, which has been harder than Day 1...but when I get the urge I just visualize how I will become and I hate the picture in my head...like a mother who is not really there for the kids and the kids are so young they don't really realize what is going on. I think my drinking was selfish now because I was only really there for myself, no one else...I dunno, it's really hard...but I find the posts here inspiring and it makes me feel less of a freak when I read such similar stories...hang in there! I went sober 3 days after finding this site but not drinking, I find myself clenching my jar a lot which hopefully will go away...
Old 01-15-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back congratulations for chooseing sobriety....

It's always a wise idea to check with your doctor about how
best to de tox safely.

Please read this link...it has useful info for you.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Keep posting with us...many of us are winning over alcohol ..so can you!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're giving it another go. I've been sober over a year now and don't regret a minute of it. Sobriety rocks!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I used to quit every morning and relapse every afternoon so I know what its like. Don't beat yourself...hang out here...check with your Doc about detox and get f2f support if you meed it.

A sober life is a joyful life!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

Today is my start on day #2. Sad to admit but this is the longest I've been sober in years, I managed to get through yesterday and last night. Feeling pretty good about myself right now and seem to be doing good mentally and physically so far.

I picked up some vitamins yesterday and went out and stocked my fridge with tons and tons of healthy food, that with a lot of water I think kept the cravings down. It took about 6hours to fall asleep last night but i stayed in bed to try and let my body rest, I got a few hours, but otherwise I'm good. It was nice to wake up sober and even with little sleep its still waaay better then the hangovers and morning drinking on the normal sunday.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Rez572, Your doing great and Congrats on day 2. This is Huge progress already whether you realize it or not. It does feel nice without a hangover in the morning doesn't it! I'm coming up on 2 years sober and it's the best 2 years of my life.

Hey, I'm going to let you on to a secret that some one told me early in my recovery but please this is just between you and me, It's three things that help me so much and the first one is easy because you have already did it by coming here to SR, so you can check that off.

1) The first thing you need to do is ask for help. check

2) the second thing you need to do is accept it.

3) The third thing you need to do is practice a program of recovery, it will help you see how amazing sobriety is and help you start a new life.

You're not alone Rez572, Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roadr440 View Post
Hi Rez572, Your doing great and Congrats on day 2. This is Huge progress already whether you realize it or not. It does feel nice without a hangover in the morning doesn't it! I'm coming up on 2 years sober and it's the best 2 years of my life.

Hey, I'm going to let you on to a secret that some one told me early in my recovery but please this is just between you and me, It's three things that help me so much and the first one is easy because you have already did it by coming here to SR, so you can check that off.

1) The first thing you need to do is ask for help. check

2) the second thing you need to do is accept it.

3) The third thing you need to do is practice a program of recovery, it will help you see how amazing sobriety is and help you start a new life.

You're not alone Rez572, Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks for the secret Roadr440! I'll be sure not to let it get out!

Thank you for the tips and the kinds words, oh and confgrats on 2yrs! I can't wait to say those words out loud about myself, 2years from now that is . I'm happy your doing well, gives us new guys hope in a big way. Do you go to AA?

I think it is somehting I'll be checking out. I took a drove earlier and found the location of a open speaker sunday meeting but it would have been half hour into the meeting by the time I found the place. That and I don't know if I've fully brought up the confidence I need yet. I did go through that sticky CarolD had witht the link about what to expect the first time.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your welcome for the tips Rez572, Did I go to AA? Wow I must be a nice guy today to let all my secrets out. Yes I went and still do go to AA. I drank for a long time, 30 + years and dug myself into a big hole and could not find my way out of it, and one of my tools I found to get out of this hell was AA. I was told you just have to have a desire to stop drinking, try it Rez and start your recovery .

And stay the course Rez and continue poking around here. This place is full of love, support, wisdom, experience, and friendship.

Road