Notices

Another who's restless at night

Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Another who's restless at night

Hi folks! When I'm ready to make it a go, I'll need to chat/message whoever can, into the night. I get really restless in the later hours (and feel that's one big reason I drink at night) and feel like I'm alone in the wee hours when I try not to drink.
In the past month I've had several lighter nights (less drinks). Mainly would start later (after 11pm.... usually it's by 10pm) and hope to get tired before it's real late (doesn't usually work). While happy I'm making steps, I want to go a step further and have more zero-drink nights. Probably better to try that again when I don't have to work the next day. The last time I had zero (4 weeks ago) I was up til 7:15am, had to be up by 9:30, max......I was pissed! (note to my British friends....pissed in the US means angry). So tonight I'll have a few, it's 11pm and haven't opened one yet, but will in the next half hour or so.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

PS.....when I was up til 7:15 am, I took benedryl, melatonin, 3 cups of chamomile tea. Just tossed and turned! Get on the edge of sleep, mind churned.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sleeplessness is no excuse to keep drinking. It's part of the withdrawal for some. It should level out. But as long as you drink, even a little, you are chained to the alcohol. So quit, anticipate that you are going to have a rough few nights, and plan for it.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I came around to AA it was said that lack of sleep never killed anyone. Today I believe it. I didn't like it as I wanted to be happy joyous and free by the second day. I was told "remember the pain" as you never have to go through it again IF you don't pick up the first drink. profound. BE WELL
Old 04-24-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I guess you're right. I'll start that on a night I don't have to work the next day. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have trouble sleeping myself alot. My mind just turns and turns and I cant seem to drift off. I will literally lay awake all night long driving myself ******* crazy.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It gets better. I was having horrendous insomnia at first. Now I'm sleeping like a baby and am much more relaxed.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

I had sleep issues before the alcohol took over and I still do. My doc prescribed Ambien but that was weird. I woke up one morning in different pajamas than what I went to bed in and I was sober. Scared me. Reading before going to bed helps me. Swimming is a sure fire way for me to be ready to sleep (but a couple hours before bed). Taking a walk in the evening too.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had the worst insomnia for like two weeks and then what little sleep I got I had really weird nightmares after I quit the last time. I assure you the symptoms will subside, just hang in there!!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am starting day 1, again. Drank greatly reduced amounts the past couple of days resulting in 2 hours last night and close to 5 hours tonight. Made it through a 15+ hour workday on a 5 hour yesterday and was out by 9:30 last night. Woke up at 2AM and now typing this as of 4AM. Probably done for the night. I am gonna log in remotely and get a little work done and then probably get ready for another long day. I did take Ambien on my recent 14 day sober stint and slept well. No weird stuff. Maybe I will call my doc later today and see. 14 days and then I went back to it. What a moron I am.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It happens. I've had so many day 1's. Just keep on tryin.

U can do it.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Readysteady, I found exercise really improves my quality of sleep. Just not 2 close 2 bedtime tho for me.