Notices

People who don't get hangovers

Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

consider your hangovers a big blessing

Originally Posted by Rift View Post

Anybody know people like this or know why certain people do not get hangovers at all?

BTW, hangovers are one of the main things that is keeping me from drinking currently.
I'm not sure why
but
during my over 40 years of heavy drinking
I almost never had a hangover
only on a very few occasions did I suffer with one
believe me this was more like a curse
for I could drink hard until 1 or 2 in the mornings at times
then get up at 5am so as to get ready for work
sometimes in the morning shower with a couple of tall cans of beer
then trying to drive to work and stay between the freeway lines

please
consider your hangovers a big blessing

onehigherpower
Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

It is nice that somebody 'bumped' this old thread.

I personally only got 'hangovers' very early in my drinking. When I look back now, I see why. By the time I was in my '20's I never totally 'detoxed'. I drank every day and, of course, the amount continued to increase to the point I lost 'everything' and I lived on the streets of Hollywood my last 1 1/2 years of drinking.

Never 'allowed' the alcohol level to get low enough in my body that a hangover would result.

My 'detox' is a story in itself, lol

Love and hugs,
Old 04-13-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I rarely got what I would call a "hangover". That's probably one of the reasons why I drank daily for 10 years. Towards the end I started to get terrible withdrawl symptoms (shakes, crushing anxiety, etc) and that's what finally got me to quit.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I would get the most horrible hangovers even when I didn't have all that much the night before (or what I considered "all that much" at the time, lol). I would either get the splitting headache/awfully dry mouth/throat type of hangovers or just the type where I wouldn't feel those symptoms as much but just feel disoriented and agitated as hell. It really started affecting my judgement and eventually my performance at work which really got me thinking I really should quit.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I think everyone will get a hangover if they drink to a certain extent. For example, I know people who can have 10 -12 drinks in a night, not get sick, and feel fine the next day.

But if someone drinks to the point they get extremely sick, they will without a doubt get a hangover the next day.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I'm with Soph. They'd hit me after being awake for a couple of hours. Or, it was mostly half and half... some mornings I would wake up feeling like I should be, and could actually be the walking dead. Other mornings I'd wake and think, "yes!!! maybe I should do what I did last night and just not mix a ton of different types of alcohol." Silly me. They'd come up and bite me on the butt... I'd be as sick as sick could be all day, and lay on the couch for hours straight.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I tend not to believe people who say they don't get hangovers, fair enough if you've only had 1 or two drinks, but drink enough(say 30-40 units) and i can't believe there is anyone who wouldn't feel rough! Just my opinion.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I just don't understand why certain people say that they never get hangovers or never used to get hangovers when they drank.

if you drink a whole bottle of liquor or a 24 pack of beer in a night wouldn't just about anybody get a hangover from that? Alcohol can and will dehydrate anyone and that is the main cause of hangovers. I just find it hard to believe.

Anybody know people like this or know why certain people do not get hangovers at all?

BTW, hangovers are one of the main things that is keeping me from drinking currently. I'm sure it is a BIG reason for most of us.
They'e bullshitting you. Nobody drinks that much and doesn't get hangovers. This is the lie they tell you when you ask "wouldn't it be nice to not feel so rough in the morning"?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

My alcoholic grandfather told me when I complained of a hangover that I just "wasn't used to it yet" and that he never gets hangovers anymore. My alcoholic father told me later that his father was lying: absolutely everyone gets a hangover if they drink enough (some people just learn to hide it better than others).

I want to add that being tired is a hangover symptom... a hangover doesn't necessarily mean you're throwing up all morning or have a migraine. There's different levels of it but once someone has drank "enough" alcohol theres no getting around it after the body withdrawls. That's what I believe anyway.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Being honest, I suffered (mild?) hangovers for my whole twenty odd year drinking habit because I drank too much all the time. I was very good at powering through them. I was also very good at holding whatever I poured into myself, getting home, keeping a job, paying bills etc.

Here's the question I find myself asking about hangovers in particular and drinking in general:If I was so good at working and living through drinking and hangovers, what could I have accomplished without it? Would I remember something about that morning in Paris besides the hangover? Would I have said the right thing to a stranger one morning in NYC that would have made me a million dollars? I know a few days of work that would have been a lot less miserable!

It is this line of questions that made me quit drinking. The wasted potential was driving me crazy. Hangovers suck. I'm so glad that I don't have one now!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I have to say I'm surprised at this thread. I am one of those who used to say I didn't get hangovers and I am surprised that more people aren't the same because I thought that was a sure sign of being an alcoholic. I used to get pounding headaches as a kid but when I was drinking every day I never felt rough. It wasn't so much that hangovers didn't exist for me, more that it was normal though. Towards the end of my drinking though things got a lot worse and I would get crippling anxiety and aches all over. But it was a state of being rather than a hangover.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
~sb

My female friend claims to never have had a hangover.

She's had to detox in the hospital the last 3 detoxes as her blood alcohol was very high and the doctor didn't want her to have any problems.

I guess she didn't have a hangover cause she was constantly maintaining a certain blood alcohol content. (I am ONLY talking about my friend and not making an assumption about all people who don't have a hangover)
Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I can honestly say I never get them anymore. Used to get them BAD. I can't remember the last time I've had one and I drink plenty to make it happen. Not real bright eyed and bushy tailed some mornings, but I get up in the morning (5 oclcok) and at like I havent' had a drink the day before.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I think that over time the feelings and sensations of a hangover became more normal for me. Somewhere the hangovers stopped and the new norm set in.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

This thread reminds me of this, the first panel to be more specific.

Indeed, there is no way to drink heavily without consequences. If nothing else, alcohol disturbs your sleep so you won't be too rested the next day. However, if you feel the same after spending the night drinking as you would after spending the night reading, is it really a hangover?

Personally, I found that what I drank had more impact than how much I drank. I can drink vodka by the bottle and be more or less fine the next day. On the other hand, I used to brew mead and, delicious though it was, the next day would be brutal if I drank more than 2 or 3 glasses.

I also found that smoking pot and overeating made the hangover worse.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I recently started drinking, February 2013. The first time I drank I chugged 3 beers in 5 minutes, drank 1 over 10 minutes, then chugged 3 more, drank one, chugged half of someone else's beer by accident, chugged 2 more, drank 1, chugged 3, and drank one more. All in about an hour to maybe an hour of and a half. Plus a few ounces of apple pie. I had not eaten in the last 4 hours, and I had maybe 8 ounces of water a couple hours before I started drinking. So like 14.5 beers. I went to bed and slept for a couple hours. I woke up went to the bathroom, kind of passed out and started shaking, from dehydration I guess, got up and went back to bed for 5 hours. Did not wake up with a hangover. My head did not hurt at any point. I also didnt get black out drunk. The next weekend I drank over half a large bottle of rum, half of that straight. I was extremely drunk. I remember almost none of thy night. I peed in a hamper full of clothes. A guitar was broken over my back, and I had next to nothing to eat, and no water. Woke up. No hangover. I have one other friend who is similar to me, neither of us ever get hangovers, and we are always the biggest drinkers at any party, probably because we don't get the hangover that stops most people. I'm not just bragging or lieing or anything, I wouldn't bother lieing online. I m just trying to figure out why I don't and some of my friends do.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Slayther, one of the things this thread has reminded me of is that hangovers are but ONE of the many negative consequences of drinking...

Welcome to SR!