Notices

People who don't get hangovers

Old 12-28-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
totfit

[QUOTE=Cobalt;2809890]

You use an example of somebody drinking an entire liquor bottle or a 24 of beer in a day. Everyone is different, but personally I don't know anyone who could drink that much and still be alive the next day. 24 beers is more than enough to give you alcohol poisoning, and hard liquor is even worse if it's abused severely (it does depend on the amount though). P/QUOTE]

Wow, you didn't hang around a good alcoholic crowd. Actually, there are people that drink 24 beers or the equivalent in liquor most every day. Since I was a binge drinker, I didn't, but I had my case of beer days also.

During a binge, I would not be hung over or at least feel that way as I was never truly sober upon awakening and I would start again. As I recall earlier in my alcoholic career drinking didn't give me major hangovers usually either.

People are different as to how alcohol affects them and how much they can drink. All I can say for sure it that there is nothing better in the world than getting off that merry go round and feeling normal.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I found the best cure of all for hangover was benzo-type drugs. After learning the tricks of the trade from hospital detoxing so frequently . This began my horrible combo of alcohol and prescription drug abuse.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes, benzos are fabulous for dealing with hangovers. Many times I have had a stash of valium on hand to deal with hangovers and nervous situations.

I have been nervous about codeine and morhpine. I love having an atavan stash and a valium stash, but also know that it is dangerous.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ive personally seen people who claim they dont get hangovers but im not sure i beileve them. I rememebr one time i got super wasted one night and had to work the next morning and this girl claimed she got wasted till 3am and she started work at 7am, i asked what she had she said vodka and all types of drinks. I was pounding my head on the breakroom table i was in so much agitation and she was sititing normally watching tv, i was almost in shock. So i guess it depends on the person. You also have to account that some people arent alcoholics like us. If that girl were to of drunk everyday nothing but beer for 8 months straight without a day off like i have before then i bet for sure shed have massive hangovers.

But for me my hangovers have led to irreversable major migraines. A doctor told me that alcohol contributes to migraines so sometimes i suffer from a super migraine/hangover to the point to where im sensitive to light and sound.

Even if i dont drink for 4 and 5 days i sometimes still have mega migraines (as i have a mega migraine atm and makes it hard to concentrate) and if i drink and wake up the next morning well its even worse. But as stated drinking a beer usually cures this but thats just postponing the inevitable. But personally i do not think its possible to not feel anything the next morning after drinking, their just good liars.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Back in the day my hangovers were rather mild considering my high tolerance to the drink. Also I was a drug user so that probability helped ease the morning pain.

As time wore on and my addiction deepened, hangovers would leave me incapacitated for about two days...absolute misery.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
I am one of those people who never got hangovers, and I used to put down a lot of alcohol. Even after binging on alcohol for 3-4 days, I would come out of a bender feeling physically fine. I used to think that it was some great attribute, but now I realize it was more of a curse so to speak. When other people would be sleeping all day and feeling like crap, vowing never to drink again, I would be waking up early, feeling fine, and planning by next session of debauchery.
I was almost the same way, only i still had hangovers. While people i knew were sick and sleeping, i still wanted to drink at 5am. I was also feeling kinda sick and hungover but would eat or drink anwyay just because i still wanted to get drunk. I cant count how many times ive felt like just pasing out because i felt so sick from drinking only to chug some more (though i never throw up for some reason).

So the statement of wanting to drink more while others wanted to sleep isn't valid for everyone as stated for myself, not saying you had hangovers but i know i sure as hell did yet still drunk. One time me and an associate went on a binge drinking night and i passed out. Then i heard my associate friend talking to his girlfriend on the phone early in the am hours and he went to see what i was doing as it was about 6am and i was chugging beer after beer, he was startled and ask "How do you still want to drink after we drunk last night, look at what you're doing."

And i replied "Youre watching me kill myself before your very eyes arent you?" as in he was witnessing a alcoholic at their worst hour and he replied "Basically". as he knew my alcoholic tendencies. I smiled, and continued but it was a fools move because he was right.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I thank God for my wretched hangovers. Had I not had them I might still be drinking.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The other day I was watching How I Met Your Mother, and it showed Marshall and Ted getting wasted in college and then feeling great the next day/goofing around, juxtaposed with them getting wasted as 'adults' and sitting on the couch with a bucket the day after.

And that's my story. When I first started my alcoholic career a long time ago, I never got hangovers. I could drink to the point I puked my guts out and still wake up the next day ready to tackle the world.

Flash forward a decade, and holy cow. Hangovers from hell. Mental fog, aching, shaking, stomach twirling, the whole nine yards.

I'm sure it has to do with the fact my tolerance went up, and the damage I have done to my body by years of drinking. But I can attest to the fact that it is possible to chug 7 or 8 big glasses of wine and not have a hangover. Which is probably what made it easy to progress from 'going a little overboard' to a full fledged drinking problem: no consequences.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I always got the worst hangovers ever. Horrible migraines, nausea, weakness, vomiting. The works. I would vow to never drink again and the next day I was right back at it.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have to agree with anew, if it wasn't for the horrific hangovers, withdrawal symptoms, and having to be medically detoxed, I would probably be getting hammered right now.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Dismember

I am one of those people who almost never got a hangover. I never had one when I was "normal drinking" not even after those nights where I let go and got hammered with my friends.

When I started drinking as an alcoholic does I still never got them. No headaches, never threw up, no weird feelings in my mouth... the only hangover sensation I've ever really gotten was dizziness and mental fog. I take that back, there were times when I definitely got a hangover, but they were extremely rare for me, like honestly less than 5% of the time even after a hard night of drinking.

Lucky? Not really. Lucky were my college friends I drank with who got hangovers but never progressed into any kind of life shattering addiction.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It probably depends on a persons age and health. I didn't even taste alcohol until 21, was always in great shape before that and can clearly remember partying at 24 with drinking half a 40 of vodka at least and getting up the next day to go to a technical support job and not feeling much of any after effects.
Hell, not getting hang overs early on I think made me feel extra invincible towards alcohol and contributed to my downward spiral once it started kicking.
By 32 though my hangovers were lasting all day.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Trying to figure it out

So to answer some folks... the "no hangover" thing doesn't have anything to do with age, fitness, weight, amount you had to drink and least of all hydration.

How do I know? It's genetic in my family. All males on my fathers side were heavy drinkers for most of their lives. Of course they died early (My father at 57, my uncle at 59). Though, neither died of typical alcohol related issues... both died of cancer.

However, they (and I) never got hangovers. EVER. It didn't matter how young they were (both started drinking around age 7) or how old they were. It didn't matter how dehydrated they were... nothing.

So I'm trying to figure out what the actual deal is with this. My friend markets an anti-hangover drink (Which I wont name), and has told me that his research has shown different ethnicities have different reactions to alcohol in general... think "Asian Flush". And that this reaction has a lot to do with the hangover.

I myself am 40 and have always been the last one awake at parties, even though I drank more than anyone else. In the morning... I would get up and shower and feel fine. In some cases, I'd feel exuberant.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thank you.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Jim I was was the same way for a while. I could drink a case a beer and not show any signs of intoxication. I never passed out, in fact alcohol had the opposite effect on me and i could go all night. I would wake up hungry but with no negative symptoms. It wasn't until i tried to quit once then drank again a month in that i had a hangover. from then on sometimes i would get a hangover sometimes i wouldn't, but it had almost nothing to do with amount of alcohol.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Genetics and Polymorphism

I understand... but this doesn't fade with age.

I did some more research and it seems it has to do with polymorphisms with two specific genes.

theorganicsolution.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/the-girl-with-zero-hangovers

It clearly is genetic. As I said... nobody on my fathers side has ever... ever... never ever had a hangover, no matter how old.

Coincidently, these are the same mutations that Ozzy Osbourne was found to have.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I could easily be black out drunk and then go for a 4 mile run the next morning. That is not a lie or a brag by any means, its just how my body works.
Not everyone is the same.
Oddly enough, when I would occasionally get drunk in high school, I had horrendous hangovers.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

This is such an interesting thread! I do think that everyone is different, and it has to do with a variety of factors.

In my 20s and even most of my 30s I could drink quite a bit and still be able to sleep it off and feel relatively ok the next day. Of course there were many times where I drank WAY too much and felt it much more the next day. But it seemed once I hit 40, the "day after" effects got increasingly worse, even if I was drinking the same or less even than usual. I didn't really vomit, never called out of work, always kept up with my responsibilities, but it was TOUGH. And it just kept getting tougher.

For me, drinking itself still seems extremely appealing. I loved the escape and I have been lucky in that I was usually able to control my behavior, never got into trouble or did anything too embarrassing. It's the hangovers pure and simple that I simply cannot have in my life anymore. They were really starting to keep me from enjoying life.

Interesting that I some others feel similarly..like most things about alcohol, I always thought I was the only one
Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I stopped getting "hangovers" once I became physically dependent on alcohol.
By that point, drinking made me feel normal instead of sick...not drinking made me feel sick. Once you cross that line, your body has adjusted to alcohol to the extent that it needs it to function, whereas someone who drinks heavily and gets a traditional "hangover" feels better with some time away from their last drinking episode.

While they say that hangovers are actually a form of withdrawal, I would take a hangover any day over the anguish of severe withdrawal-the anxiety, the elevated blood pressure, racing heart, shaking, seizures, hallucinations..

Fortunately I don't drink now so I don't have to deal with either!:bounce

I have heard that people that are prone to alcoholism may initially experience less severe hangovers than others after drinking heavily before they become physically dependent on it.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Interesting, I'm glad somebody found this old thread. I always had hangovers, though they were not severe. This thread is really interesting to me because my most-likely-alcoholic husband claims he never feels hungover, and it always perturbs me! I want him to feel some of the consequences from drinking so he'll stop! But I realize that's just what I want, we'll see what's actually in the cards.

So from what I'm reading here, maybe he's not lying about hangovers, maybe he truly doesn't get them. For me, I was so used to the death-warmed-over feeling, I forgot there was another way to live.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I drank 18 beers a day in the end. I didn't wake up hungover, but I woke up feeling emotionally and spiritually sick everyday. So glad it is over. Well for this 24 hours. All we have is today.

Maybe I didn't have hangovers cuz I did crack open a beer when I rolled out of bed.

Ok Revamp, yes I had lotsa hangovers , that is why I stopped drinking hard liquor. Beer not so much.