Notices

How much did you drink on average

Old 09-27-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

8 beers every night. More at weekends. Also 800mg + of caffeine every day. I couldn't believe how bad the hangover's actualy were when I tried them without caffeine.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
jkb

Kinda feel like a real lightweight here but, I binged 2-3 times per week on 9-12 lite beers. That was enough to make me blackout and pass out.

Jess
Old 09-27-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

7 pints of beer 3-4 times a week. Sometimes more
Old 09-27-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

My motive? That's easy!! I'm scared sh-tless! I want to live a long life and feel I may have shot myself in the foot.

My "comparison" if you want to call it that..is more just trying to get an idea where I rate on the range of drinking. As in..well..if someone drank a Fifth of Jack Daniels a day for a decade(roughly 17-18 beers) and is still alive and did not require a liver transplant..then perhaps I will be ok? Though I guess if Lemmy from Motorhead is still alive after drinking a 5th of hard liquor daily for..what..40 years or more, there is hope for us all.

No motive(if you are thinking this) to say "well I drank less therefore I'm superior than you,etc.". I admit..I am out of control and need help(again).

About 3 years ago, I had my blood tested and my liver enzymes were elevated. The doc said no booze for at least 3 mos(the ammt of time it takes for many peoples enzymes to get back to normal). So..I did..but then resumed drinking

I did manage to take my lab report and find the reference values for elevated liver enzymes. True they were elevated at the time, but thankfully in the lower 1/3 of the range for GGT, ALT/AST. Supposedly there are/were two more ranges to reach to the point where I would have had cirrhosis.

I've also asked people I know and trust to tell me if my skin and/or sclerae of the eye is yellow(jaundice) and they said "no". Thankfully. I have not also had esophageal varices or vomitted blood.

Yes..I do realize that these too are things which I am eligible to have happen if I continue to drink. But ladies and gentleman..fear is a very, very potent motivator!

Thank you all for indulging me. It's good to be among you all.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understood why you posted

the only trouble with caparisons is there's a lot of individual factors at play besides quantity - general health, lifestyle, age, genetics, gender...etc etc

not many of us are Lemmy or Keith Richards.

A few of us, sadly, have been Keith Moon or Bon Scott and have gone too soon.

Most of us are scattered at various points along the curve....

If you want to know the extent of any damage the best thing to do is see your Dr

D
Old 09-27-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I drank about 3-4 times a week. I could easily put down two bottles of wine or 6-8 beers in an evening. Partying with friends I'd usually lose count.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

thanks Dee and readerbaby

Actually another pertinent question that I should ask is..with the volumes that some of you listed..how many *years/months* in duration did you drink this way?

Again..you have my word..no judgement. After all, I'm not one to throw stones..I live in a glass house..
Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

At first I only partied with friends. After a while I started drinking at home, alone. This lasted for about 6-7 years.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, but your question is just impossible to answer. For anyone, even a doctor. It's the equivalent of 'How long is a line'.

What I actually meant when I posted about your motives is I don't believe you've been clear on whether you are now sober and wishing to stay that way, or trying to achieve the goal of getting sober, or just actively drinking.

The other reason folks sometimes ask this question is that they are just trying to figure out how much they can continue to drink excessively and avoid an early alcohol-related death.

I've read all your posts and I can't figure out which category you are in for sure.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada... Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio
M-Wed I drank 8-12 beers. Thurs was karaoke night... so 3 beers before I left the house, 2 pitchers of beer at the bar with anywhere from 3-5 shots (jager or crown)... then Friday-Sunday the usual 8-12...

I don't miss the money spent... at all.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopefulClear View Post
thanks Dee and readerbaby

Actually another pertinent question that I should ask is..with the volumes that some of you listed..how many *years/months* in duration did you drink this way?

Again..you have my word..no judgement. After all, I'm not one to throw stones..I live in a glass house..
I drank a case of beer 4 days a week for about 2 and a half years.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I was in the two bottles of wine a night club, for years. One my husband knew about, one he didn't. Glad that's behind me (now to get out of the two scoops of ice cream club).
Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Near the end I was drinking over a fifth of Captain a day. Man, I don't miss that at all and to think I used to believe the Captain was my friend.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

For the last fifteen years of my addiction, it was about 12-18 beers a day, or beer and cider mixed, plus a couple mixed drinks, maybe some shots, sometimes weed and whatever pills I could muster, usually Percocet.

Sometimes I'd have a bottle of wine with dinner, sometimes I'd feel like juice and drink a half bottle of vodka in screwdrivers, or martinis, then switch to beer.

I once blew a .16 on a breathalyzer , and I was absolutely coherent and reasonable to the police.

This was a normal day, not partying, or hanging out with "friends". On those occasions, I lost track of what I did.

I spent about 12 hours a day drinking, every day of the week.

It's crazy to even think about the tolerance I developed.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

12+ beers or a pint and a half to a fifth of vodka.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

My husband was drinking 1-3 pints of vodka a day with a little Pepsi.

How do I know? Bank Statements don't lie. It's how I found out he bought and drank almost 30 bottles of vodka in 12 days leading up to his motorcycle accident in July. Some days he may have had less and other days, he had more. I do know he didn't get to drink #30 during that binge.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jkb View Post
Kinda feel like a real lightweight here but, I binged 2-3 times per week on 9-12 lite beers. That was enough to make me blackout and pass out.

Jess
Not really, it's better you recognised there was a problem. Unfortunately, I knew I was headed for trouble when I was wanting half a bottle of wine every second day or so, maybe even only once or twice a week...not necessarily a lot at first, but I knew I was pushing it. Something inside me knew I was starting to crave it.

That was 10 years ago, many missed opportunities, hurt loved ones and sad nights since then. Stop it early! That's a win!

It's irrelevant really what I was drinking at the start or the end of those 10 years, only that it was affecting my life, controlling me and I knew it and I wasn't prepared to turn my back on it.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Not really, it's better you recognised there was a problem. Unfortunately, I knew I was headed for trouble when I was wanting half a bottle of wine every second day or so, maybe even only once or twice a week...not necessarily a lot at first, but I knew I was pushing it. Something inside me knew I was starting to crave it.

That was 10 years ago, many missed opportunities, hurt loved ones and sad nights since then. Stop it early! That's a win!

It's irrelevant really what I was drinking at the start or the end of those 10 years, only that it was affecting my life, controlling me and I knew it and I wasn't prepared to turn my back on it.
This is absolutely the right attitude. For the longest time, I would have five or six beers, no big deal, then binge on weekends, or a couple times a week.

It does get worse. A lot worse.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I didn't drink every day, probably once every two weeks, but it would go on for about 3-4 days by the end.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by jkb View Post

Jess
I have no idea how much I drank by the end - enough to be drinking all day from sunup to bedtime...passing out a few times during the day, coming to and starting again....

I've never been one for war stories.
I nearly died - I was lucky...really lucky... to survive my decades of stupidity.

You have my admiration Jess that you decided to stop the madness a lot earlier than I did. You're a total winner in my book

This is one thing where less is definitely more....

D