SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Cravings - how long on average until they go away totally? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/203165-cravings-how-long-average-until-they-go-away-totally.html)

Retro_Girl 06-15-2010 06:51 PM

Cravings - how long on average until they go away totally?

I've been trying to quit drinking on and off and can't seem to get past the third or fourth day because of the nagging cravings.

Now on day 1 again.......read that for some they go away completely after a longer period of time, can you all tell me what your experiences have been?

Seems like your brain has to rewire itself to stop asking....

Thanks! :-)

artsoul 06-15-2010 08:02 PM

I'm not very far into this (just 46 days), but I found that the cravings were the worst the first week, then just here and there after that. It helped me to read alot at SR and know that they were coming. Sometimes it was just a matter of waiting them out (I think the longest one lastest a couple hours, but that was because I was dealing with some emotions over something and it would have been normal for me to drink over it).

Most of the time they didn't last past about 5 or 10 minutes, It helped to come here or turn my attention to something else.

Good luck - we all know what it's like!:ring

Retro_Girl 06-15-2010 08:19 PM

Thank you, Artsoul for the info. I like the sound of that and at least it does get easier. I'm tired of being controlled by alcohol!

mercurial me 06-15-2010 08:38 PM

I've got a little over a week in and it is getting easier. My cravings are caused by either anxiety that comes with life or my routine (always drank beer mowing the grass, bbq's w. friends, always going to the liquor store after work, etc.).

Stay strong :)

aqua4017 06-15-2010 09:09 PM

For me they got better and better each day-now at almost 5 months I don't even remember the last time I had one. In the beginning though, they were very intense and ALL day long (not to mention all I dreamed about at night too). Once I caught myself thinking about it I did whatever it took to divert my attention. Just keep going...it honestly does get better.

Retro_Girl 06-15-2010 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by aqua4017 (Post 2626644)
For me they got better and better each day-now at almost 5 months I don't even remember the last time I had one. In the beginning though, they were very intense and ALL day long (not to mention all I dreamed about at night too). Once I caught myself thinking about it I did whatever it took to divert my attention. Just keep going...it honestly does get better.

That sounds like me, I only drink at night with dinnner and when I'm trying to quit they start around noon and are intense and nagging until after I eat dinner. Then it starts the same way the next day. Also they are situational, like when visiting family. Thank you for the encouragement!!!

loveon2legs 06-15-2010 09:44 PM

I agree with aqua!! I'm almost 5 months and rarely have them anymore...hang in there!! it does get better!! :)

yeahgr8 06-15-2010 09:52 PM

The physical cravings went after a few days the mental went straight away...plenty of times i tried to quit before when the mental never went though, in hindsight its all about action and change:-)

Taking5 06-15-2010 10:45 PM

The next time you get a craving, don't drink. They will never go away if you give in to alcohol every 4 days or so.

There are also some drugs, Naltrexone and Campral, that many people swear by, that help with cravings. See your Dr. if you are interested.

polaris 06-16-2010 09:05 AM

I don't know, as others have said it does seem to get somewhat easier after about a week in my experience. Im definitely not an authority on this though.

My dad is a recovered alcoholic (quit drinking before I was born), and he always seemed to be perfectly at ease around alcohol and people that are drinking.

We have all had a time that we enjoyed things without alcohol, I suppose there really isnt any reason that we cant return to that state.

1lastchance 06-16-2010 10:24 AM

I will only be at day 7 tomorrow. I know how you feel the cravings are like clock work everyday at 3pm my body starts the hardcore cravings they get so intense that I can taste it and the desire is unreal I can turn into a real monster but I know if I can just make it past 5pm just 2 little hours I will be fine.
I found that coming here helps a lot also I grab my Rotti and we go for a walk he thinks he went to heaven:) we can beat this! I have began to look at booze in a differant way its the enemy I say to myself this booze doesn't have a brain I do and I will not let it beat me and I know in time the cravings will lessen. last Thursday we killed every bottle in the house starting with the liquor cabinet then the cases in the fridge we used them as target practice and I put the kegerator up for sale the decision was made it is no longer welcome in my home or my life period! get mean about it show it who's boss!
sorry if I get carried away I am just so pissed at how these substances can destroy so many lives and it deserves the death penalty it has no sympathy here.

Retro_Girl 06-16-2010 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by polaris (Post 2627017)
We have all had a time that we enjoyed things without alcohol, I suppose there really isnt any reason that we cant return to that state.

This is true - when we were kids we were content without alcohol....

Retro_Girl 06-16-2010 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1lastchance (Post 2627092)
I will only be at day 7 tomorrow. I know how you feel the cravings are like clock work everyday at 3pm my body starts the hardcore cravings they get so intense that I can taste it and the desire is unreal I can turn into a real monster but I know if I can just make it past 5pm just 2 little hours I will be fine.

Yes - its hard right now on day 2. I also have obsessive/anxiety tendancies -It can be uncomfortable and drinking got rid of these for the time I was drunk. I'm guessing my brain will figure out another way of dealing with them. Also - right now I feel like I'm being deprived, like the weather is so nice & I wanna go sit in the backyard and drink. I guess I have to just do the things I enjoy without drinking....

least 06-16-2010 04:25 PM

The next time you get a craving, don't drink. They will never go away if you give in to alcohol every 4 days or so.
Very true. They do go away after some time but you have to be sober. Giving in to the cravings only prolongs the addiction and leaves you vulnerable to the risks that drinking brings. Not to mention, going thru withdrawals over and over makes them get worse, I know...:(

I rarely get them now after six months and when I do they're easily dismissed. But the first couple months was rough and I had to really hold myself accountable for my sobriety. Now I'm glad I stayed strong and sober.:) Hang in there and JUST DON'T DRINK!!

artsoul 06-16-2010 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Retro_Girl (Post 2627326)
Yes - its hard right now on day 2. I also have obsessive/anxiety tendancies -It can be uncomfortable and drinking got rid of these for the time I was drunk. I'm guessing my brain will figure out another way of dealing with them. Also - right now I feel like I'm being deprived, like the weather is so nice & I wanna go sit in the backyard and drink. I guess I have to just do the things I enjoy without drinking....

You may find in another couple days that your anxiety is much less, as well. So that's another thing to look forward to.

You mentioned in another post that the cravings aren't so bad after you've had something to eat. When our blood sugar goes down (as it does during withdrawals or if we haven't eaten in a while), the cravings can get bad. It's really, really, helpful (I'd say important) to eat something. People carry hard candy or drink fruit juice for this purpose.

Alot of people also recommend B vitamins and lots of water. Hang in there - you can do this!

Retro_Girl 06-16-2010 06:25 PM

I'll have to see about the anxieties, maybe with a clearer head, things wont seem so bad that I need to go drink.....hmmm that would be nice. I'll make sure not to be hungry too. I also found that chamomile tea with a sweetener is good in the evening as a drinking substitute. Didn't drink today! Thank you all for your support!!

lucky1s 03-17-2013 02:13 PM

Iknow this is an old thread but I just did a google on how long it takes for the cravings to go away and this popped. So I just wanted to say thanks, it really helped.

Dee74 03-17-2013 02:24 PM

welcome to SR lucky1s :)

D

sparky78 03-17-2013 05:58 PM

I realize that this is an older thread but I've noticed that the longer you go without feeding the beast, the less cravings come both in frequency & intensity. I think that is why it is so hard to stop drinking after a relapse.

Although its a different substance, I read that the worst thing that you can do to an enemy is give them 1 cigarette a day- it keeps them in a constant state of withdrawal both physically and mentally.

Wookie85 03-18-2013 03:10 PM

been sober for 17 months and I still get mental cravings from time to time, usually a few times a month. they don't last much longer than a 1/2 hour. "playing the tape" in my mind helps me get through them.