SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   6 days now... am I out of the woods? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/199874-6-days-now-am-i-out-woods.html)

Doneiam 04-28-2010 02:45 PM

6 days now... am I out of the woods?

My last drink was last Thursday. It been rough and hope it gets better.

I will start with a bit of background. Started drinking at 14 and moved to daily at 19 for the next 10 years. Heavy drinking and all the time. I quit cold turkey when I was 29. I didn't drink for roughly 3 to 4 years after that (can't remember actually). I started back up again with a vengeance 3 years ago. The last year I have been drinking a good 12 to 18 beers daily. I was 189 lbs when I started this latest binge and now 236 lbs.

I have finally had enough. I drank one beer last Thursday and went to a meeting on Friday. It's been 6 days since my last drink.

My blood pressure is alot higher then normal now. It's at 172 / 103. I called my Doctor and he put me on Atenolol to take once daily and he stated it's from alcohol withdrawals. I think it's to lower my blood pressure. I have to take it for 2 weeks then come in the office to be seen.

Is this normal for my blood pressure to go up and stay up 6 days after my last drink? Is that a really high number to be worried about? I don't know much about Blood Pressure numbers to be honest.

I just hope the worst of the physical is over and done with and nothing else goes wrong. I figured I should have hit the peak of withdrawals with almost a week sober.

I go to another meeting on Saturday. This time I am done for good. I hope the physical damage to my body isn't too severe. I will know that soon enough once they start all the tests.

needhelpbutstuk 04-28-2010 04:52 PM

good luck, Doneiam.

I dont have any knowledge on the whole bp thing, so i dont know what to tell you. Your story sounds all too familiar, I am in the same boat.

Good luck, congrats on 6 days, I did that about a month ago...then I went back to the dark side. hang in there

least 04-28-2010 05:58 PM

We cannot give medical advice here. Your best bet would be to call your doctor with your questions. Everyone's reaction to withdrawals is different. At six days sober I would hope you were done with the physical w/d. Best to see your doctor to be safe.:)

Welcome to SR! :grouphug:

CarolD 04-28-2010 06:01 PM

Doneiam.....:wavey:
Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

I'm glad you are keeping your doctor aware
and I'm sure......you can't go wrong by following
his directions. He knows what is best for you.

You might want to begin a healthy eating plan
and begin walking. Your added weight could also
be a factor in your BP ..it often is....:yup:
Be gentle with yourself....you are healing
and overdoing anything is not wise.

AA? certainly has worked great for me
:yup: Keep going....there is much to learn.

All my best

YoungBoy 04-28-2010 10:31 PM

its all an individual basis. what worries me, is after 10years of heavy drinking u went 4 years sober and then u drink again for 3 years. On the other side the positive is that u managed to be sober for 4 years after u were an alcoholic for 10 years.
This leads me to believe that there might be hope for u.
it took me about 5-6 days to get rid of withdraw symptoms, (im on day 35 of sober) but i think u got an a big mountain to climb still, just take 1 day at a time and focus on exercise/eating healthy/rest. add in some hobbies and aa meetings if u need it.
Its up to u ultimately

Catkill23 04-28-2010 10:39 PM

similar situation, my blood pressure was 190 over 140 for a few years at the end. I was trying to control my drinking, by not rinking every hour. My last bottom I had a pint of vodka at 5 am, controlled myself until 2 pm, ambulance picked me up at 3 pm with my lawnmower running, and I was seizing.

They said I didn't have any alchohol in my system, and it was classified as withdraw.

You should be fine if your not drinking now since you got past 6 days. But keep taking the medication. Good luck.

Happier 04-29-2010 08:15 PM

I am not qualified nor do I have any desire to give medical advice. Please discuss your BP with your doctor. In my personal case though, I know that my drinking would raise my BP. Unfortunately I had enough up & down experiences to prove this out in my case. Good new is that I was able to get off the meds and BP fell back into line naturally after I quit. This took more than a few days for me though...more like weeks. Everyone is different though so please check with your health care professional.

AmericanGirl 04-29-2010 09:29 PM

Hi Doneiam. I agree with others -- speak to your doctor a bit more to get clearer information about these concerns. One thing you might ask about is hibiscus tea; not only have I discovered it is a wonderful drinking substitute, but I've also read it may benefit blood pressure. Mine has been up too high for a few years (especially on those doctor visits where I came in hungover . . . yeesh) but I'm hoping it will restore itself now.

CarolD 04-29-2010 09:30 PM

happier....:wavey:

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
Good to know you are feeling better...:yup: