Notices

Having Fun

Old 02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Having Fun

In the early stages of recovery I've encouraged people to try and do something that is fun. Most people don't know what to do with themselves once they quit using/drinking. What are some ways of having good clean?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My first AA home group was in Washington . D.C.
and most of us were single .

We did all sorts of events/activities outside of meetings.
You could always find a few members interested in whatever

Plays- Dances-Sport events-Concerts-Cards-Hikes ...Movies and
dining out was a favorite for everyone.....

We had a sober blast!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Movies, Music (more Music!!), Cycling, Skiing, Reading, Fly Fishing.

oh yea...SR

Mark
Old 02-25-2010, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
never again--one day at a time

My idea of "fun" changed a lot after I quit drinking. Today my favorite things are reading and knitting. When I was using I was always too loaded or sick to concentrate on something so involved. I also couldn't stand to sit still with my thoughts. Today I really treasure just being quiet.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
In the early stages of recovery I've encouraged people to try and do something that is fun. Most people don't know what to do with themselves once they quit using/drinking. What are some ways of having good clean?
This is how I filled my time when I was newly sober.

Taking the dog for a walk.
Jigsaw puzzles.
Nintendo Wii.
Reading AA literature.
Reading other books.
I got HBO and Cinemax and enjoy staying up late watching movies sober.
Dink around on SR.
Watch Intervention on A&E.
Watch Addiction of HBO.
Watch Celebrity Rehab.
Hmmm, I think that is about it.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I iunderstand the struggle,

I have been:

Cooking
Reading
Listen to Music
Watching sports with my son
doing things I have put off

anything but drinking,

Good Luck,
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

For me, right now my days consist of working full time during the day, then either an AA meeting (I'm doing 90 in 90) or an outpatient meeting two days a week at night. That pretty much takes up a bunch of time during the week.

I'm interested in seeing what others have to say as I honestly have no idea how to have fun sober. In fact, I caught myself about two weeks ago actually and honestly laughing. I quickly caught myself and then felt guilty and I had to check myself to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm trying to think of something I do that isn't fun!

The AA club I attend has an ongoing line-up of activities. Partys, BBQ's, dances, hikes, bicycle rides, round-ups, retreats, etc.

But I don't have to hang out with just AA'ers to have fun. Every other weekend I play paintball with my son and a group of people, we have a blast. My wife and I ride motorcycles (just a little safer riding sober, eh?) and do a lot of stuff outdoors.

Hmmm, I still haven't thought of anything that isn't fun. Maybe going to the dentist?
Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I'm trying to think of something I do that isn't fun!

The AA club I attend has an ongoing line-up of activities. Partys, BBQ's, dances, hikes, bicycle rides, round-ups, retreats, etc.

But I don't have to hang out with just AA'ers to have fun. Every other weekend I play paintball with my son and a group of people, we have a blast. My wife and I ride motorcycles (just a little safer riding sober, eh?) and do a lot of stuff outdoors.

Hmmm, I still haven't thought of anything that isn't fun. Maybe going to the dentist?
Old 02-26-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepcominback View Post
Fun, when I can't think of things I do to have fun, it means, I am not having much fun! I find myself in this frame of mind reading your thread!

Oh my, I need to do something about this!

I think the most fun I had recently though was just going out with my child, and spending some time together. He wanted to listen to Christmas songs in the car, and I said sure why not! So here we are driving around in February, listening to Santa Claus is coming to town.

Then we went to the video store, and to a outdoor mall with a water/light show, and we also saw a beautiful cloud formation in the sky that looked exactly like a stairway going up to heaven...it was a very good time.

I will work on ways to include more "fun" in our lives! I will post back as I come up with ideas to try! Thank you for this suggestion to include fun in my life!

Fun: Light-hearted amusement...definition from my dictionary! Scary I actually went and looked it up! LOL!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

i Really Enjoy Going To The Shooting Range (Sober) i Enjoy Hiking Down Along The Big Lake.. A.A. Meetings (My Home Group) Hell.. i Even Enjoy Going To Work Now!:rotfxko
Old 02-26-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey spawn good post.. IM new here but dig whats goin on, i got a big drink problem i
need to sort out no doubt... have been checkin out this place for awhile,lot of good
folk here, but am reluctant to give out to much info to anyone on myself an life story
as i know through life, many can use and turn against you your honest statements
word for word! ive seen so many honourable good freind turn turk on me! hope i can
contribute more.. as i really wanna beat this beast that controls...LOL, THANKS GUYS.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kerbcrawler View Post
Hey spawn good post.. IM new here but dig whats goin on, i got a big drink problem i
need to sort out no doubt... have been checkin out this place for awhile,lot of good
folk here, but am reluctant to give out to much info to anyone on myself an life story
as i know through life, many can use and turn against you your honest statements
word for word! ive seen so many honourable good freind turn turk on me! hope i can
contribute more.. as i really wanna beat this beast that controls...LOL, THANKS GUYS.
This is why I call myself Spawn
Old 02-26-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Like it, way to go....Thanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kerbcrawler...

Welcome to SR and to our Alcoholism Forum
Thanks for joining with us...
Old 02-26-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Zizanie mentioned knitting, I'm so glad it's not just me, my best hobby ever, something I haven't done for years, I knit & knit all the hours I can, I have so many lovely things that I have made, and no I'm not some old fuddy duddy, knitting is trendy now days.

I'm making up for all the years I lost and wasted while drinking and destroying my life, I have swapped one addiction for another, but I know which one I prefer. There is a brilliant knitting site called Ravelry.com with different groups to join, some I belong to are friends of Bill W, friends of Lois & Sober Knitters, yes we're there as well, check it out, you'll love it.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

caitlyn ....Welcome to SR and to our Alcoholism Forum

I'm glad you decided to join us....
Old 02-27-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Smile Hobbies

I like building model cars,..........this one took almost 2 years.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Trying to lose weight- counting carbs, working out, grocery shopping for healthy foods, hang out with my girlfriend and giving her the attention she has deserved all this time

watch movies late at night, read on SR, watch concert DVDs of favorite bands, talk on the phone with friends/family and remember the conversations, and lately watch the olympics!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Losing weight is a nice one... though then I get sugar cravings... video games, I WOULD go outside more but this ... freaking WEATHER... it's too cold and snowy...