Notices

Pets

Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pets

How many of you have pets that you love? My dog that's in my avatar passed away on April 25. This hit me like a ton of bricks, but it was expected. He had cancer. We had known for a couple months prior to his passing that it was inevitable. I still haven't gotten over this, and this dog was a "prodigy". I've had dogs all my life, but this one was INCREDIBLY intelligent. He knew everything you were saying. Anyway, his sickness and death were instrumental in my sobriety. It's safe to say that, if he hadn't died, I'd probably still be drinking. My wife doesn't want us to get another dog, but I often think it would help.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sorry for your loss.

I have a chocolate lab named Kirby that is the light of my life. We don't have kids, so he is like my child.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i'm sorry for your loss. we had one who got cancer and died in less than 6 months. it was so incredibily sad. for one month i was crying day and night. then we brought another one. now lion our new pekingese has 6 months and he is the joy of my life. we don't have kids and he is like our son. i suggest bring another one. it will be a big help.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

I had to put my cat to sleep about 5yrs ago. (cancer) I had her 16 yrs. I thought I wouldn't get any more cats, but after 3wks of walking around the house subconsciously looking for her....I now have 2 cats I love to death. They are my family. Maybe you should get another dog.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss... I have always had a dog in my home and would feel incomplete without one. In my early recovery I volunteered at an animal shelter for 4 years it enriched my life incredibly
Old 07-15-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss
I have a Quaker Parrot. He ain't much to look at, but he can talk up a storm.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss....altho no other pet will "replace" your wonderful dog, I think it would be a great benefit for you to get another pet. We are farmers, so we have tons of animals, even some of the sheep have become pets. We lost a horse last year and it was incredibly painful. Animals are very peaceful and love unconditionally. If you could rescue a dog from a shelter, you would be doing a wonderful thing for yourself and your new pet!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I lost one of my dogs to cancer in February of this year, so I understand the pain. I am so sorry.

I've always had a dog or two in my life, plus cats, and they are a huge part of my recovery.

:ghug2
Old 07-15-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep, sorry for your loss.

I got posibly the worlds dumbest cat, Hes got hardly any teeth after I presume being hit by a car and hes got a wonky tail from somewhere. We got him from a cat shelter.
He lives with my ex now
Old 07-15-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with you getting another dog from a shelter. You would be honoring the memory of your dog by giving a good life to another dog who needs a family.

I have two dogs and four cats. THey are my 'kids' since my own kids are nearly grown up. I can't imagine life without my dogs.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss. Pets may as well be children.

My mother gets her animals cremated. I always get a chuckle at her stack of three little wooden boxes in her living room. My blue heeler currently lives w/ her. (She agreed to "watch her" for me when I got married, bc we moved into an apartment. Blue heelers are not apartment dogs). I had planned on taking her back when we got a house, but they've become so attached, I think it would break her heart.

Sorry for my little ramble. My heart goes out to you, I do really understand how much it hurts. I do agree with Least. I think that would be an excellent way to honor your pet's memory. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got a puppy right around the time I got sober. It helps immensely. I honestly am not sure I would be sober now if it wasn't for my little muffin. I have also read a lot of scientific studies that say the same thing.

I'm so sorry for your loss. This is my first animal and I can't imagine going through that.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had a yellow Lab " A boy named Sue" I had him trained and hunted and ran hunt test and feild trails with him he was a special animal. When he wasn't on the trainers truck we spent every minute together. I love that dog he was with me through my worst drinking and he still loved me. After he was gone I didnt want another dog I knew I would always compare it to him. A few years later I got a english bull not a lab and then another came along I must admit they are no Sue but I love em both and they love me. My male is the one in my avatar. Spoiled ? Noway not Brutus!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

haze dog. best dog for me, hands down. she is my sweet muffinface, and i used to drive her around in blackouts... now i drive her to go hiking or play with her other pup pals and i'm lucid the whole time. AND she gets to the vet and gets heartworm pills and fish oil, trader joe's dog chow and baths, and lots and lots of love... sober.

plus, my vet's in the rooms! so that rocks.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I was given a dog in early recovery, my daughter named her Annie cuz she reminded her of Little Orphan Annie's dog. She died in a tragic accident a year later, we still miss her and my kids like to have photos of her around.

A couple years ago my fiancee blessed us with another pup, a miniature pincer named Missy. She can jump incredibly high, gets into trouble anytime we turn our back on her, I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Pets can be wonderful recovery companions, they love us unconditionally and probably need our love as much as we need theirs.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
mergirl

I've got 5 rescue dogs at the moment (pics are in my profile), and that's a 10 year low for me. 2 are not going to see Christmas probably. Nothing in the world compares to the love of a pet I think.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

pets that die can be a terrible loss...im sorry to hear that.

brings a lump to my throat because my jake is sick at the moment..we have just got back from the vet...
they are unsure of the problem at the moment......and have given him a antibiotic shot and something to bring his temp down.

his temp was above 104....

jake is a ten years old ridgeback and has sat with me when i was drinking last.
he was always there for me......its very difficult to watch my best pal very sick....man it hurts..

he is a big strong dog its terrible to see him like a kitten......
Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I currently have 4 dogs, which I have now set as my limit.

2 Belgian Sheepdogs, one of which is my Avitar. A Shepherd/Husky cross and a 'We don't know" mix.

I have always had an affinity for animals, would prefer to be with them rather than humans. I have been involved in fostering, and wolf hybrid rescue. The Wolf dog that leaps out of my signature is my beloved Kita, who went to the Bridge on 4/24/07.

So yes, I have fur babies.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
pets that die can be a terrible loss...im sorry to hear that.

brings a lump to my throat because my jake is sick at the moment..we have just got back from the vet...
they are unsure of the problem at the moment......and have given him a antibiotic shot and something to bring his temp down.

his temp was above 104....

jake is a ten years old ridgeback and has sat with me when i was drinking last.
he was always there for me......its very difficult to watch my best pal very sick....man it hurts..

he is a big strong dog its terrible to see him like a kitten......
Sorry to hear this. I hope your dog will recover.....
Old 07-15-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You all are a great bunch of folks! Thanks.....