SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   yellow eyes (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/179811-yellow-eyes.html)

baldjim 07-05-2009 05:19 AM

yellow eyes

one of the very few things that gave away i was a big drinker apart from the empty wallet was yellow whites of my eyes

i did notice other peoples eye whites were much whiter than mine

although my skin is much better and the red nose is all but gone i dont see much improvement in that area

how long before it gets better any one else notice this ,i know this is not a major problem but any improvement is all encouragement that my new booze free life is getting better and better

Bamboozle 07-05-2009 05:30 AM

Have you gone to the doctor about this? If not, please go very soon...very very soon.

Get your liver enzymes and whatnot checked out. Please.

Dee74 07-05-2009 05:41 AM

I second this Jim.
It may be nothing serious, but best be safe mate...

D

baldjim 07-05-2009 05:44 AM

yes buddy had my liver enzymes checked they were 149 instead of 44

my skin looks better wondered how long my eyes would be before they got better :c032:

come on people some one knows the answers ... snap to it my mates are all up the pub and i'm bored lol

slimjim30 07-05-2009 06:37 AM

It will depend on how long it takes your liver enzymes to go back to normal.

My liver tests were all back to normal (except for one slightly over) by 2 months. I'd say you may start looking better between 2 and 4 months.

littlebluedog 07-05-2009 06:40 AM

Hmmm, mine we're never yellow, just kind of cloudy and bloodshot. I used to swear my contacts were bugging me( never dawned on me it was all the stinkin' vodka). After 35 days, they're back to normal. You could even say they have that "sparkle" again. ;)

Sorry that didn't answer your question. I even tried to google it for you. Thought maybe there would be some situation similar to yours somewhere out there. Didn't come up with squat.

So anyway, sorry for the massive non-answer. ;)

Bamboozle 07-05-2009 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by baldjim (Post 2286191)
yes buddy had my liver enzymes checked they were 149 instead of 44

my skin looks better wondered how long my eyes would be before they got better :c032:

come on people some one knows the answers ... snap to it my mates are all up the pub and i'm bored lol

Sorry, jim...your post scared me.

CarolD 07-05-2009 07:28 AM

Google for info and then call your doctor for another assestment.

There is simply no absolute time line that we can give you.
My eyes were never yellow...my liver function tests
came back ok....and I am an alcoholic.

Since you are boared ....check out our Follies Forum
or join the on going games in Cafe...:)

littlefish 07-05-2009 08:14 AM

I would check with your doc: liver disfunction does not always have to be related to alcohol.
What did your doctor say about your eyes?

shaun00 07-05-2009 08:15 AM

you had liver function test at the docs jim?

good idea to mate if you can......be on the safe side.

my whites were yellow could see it a bit in my face and finger nails.

my liver was swollen a bit and i had tests for about a year till it fully repaired itself.

month maybe to clear my eyes.....but then again i smoke and work nights so they always look like a road map anyway..lol

get up the docs mate........simple blood works.............job done.

smacked 07-05-2009 08:23 AM

"I know this is not a major problem"... please reconsider that thought.

Based on your liver tests, sounds like the familiar liver condition, hepatic jaundice.. Google the word(s). My only experience about this was in a friend of mine who was suffering from organ failure, and a friend with acute Hepatitis .. it's not a funny thing. Please see a doctor (again).

My eyes never got yellow, and my liver enzymes were miraculously normal for drinking a fifth of vodka a day. I don't have personal experience on that, sorry. I did just remember, though.. I towards the end of my drinking career, I did used to wake up and check my eyes for any yellow as a guage for how sick I was, and how far 'gone' my liver might be. I was terrified to see yellow, because of what it can indicate. Amazing how sick the addicted mind can be.

Obviously none of us here are doctors, but you'll get plenty of clear information if you do some searching around for 'yellow eyes', etc.

baldjim 07-05-2009 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bamboozle (Post 2286234)
Sorry, jim...your post scared me.

too be honest you post scared the crap outa me :a108:

i just thought all you guys would have had yellow eyes

hmmm that has got me thinking ,i have normal kidney function ans my cholesterol was high i'm only allowed red meat once a week ,i have to lose 3 stone about 50 lbs at least

i have fibromyalgia as well i wonder if that has anything to do with it :tapping

i think i'll give the doc a call in the morning

Bamboozle 07-05-2009 09:09 AM

Nah, never had yellow eyes...but if I did I'd go to the emergency room.

Good to read you're contacting your doctor. :)

FightingIrish 07-05-2009 09:13 AM

yeah i never had yellow eyes either after 20 years of drinking. liver functions were also normal before i stopped. blood pressure was high and cholesterol was high too.

i read somewhere that coffee may have a protective effect on the liver among people who drink...don't quote me, but i drank a ****-ton of coffee my whole life.

gerryP 07-05-2009 09:24 AM

Hey Jim,

Yellow eyes is not a good sign. Don't be afraid, just get an appointment with your Dr.as many have suggested. Yellow eyes are normally indicative of a liver problem, not necessarily having everything to do with a high enzyme count and may not have anything to do with alcohol abuse.

Sooner you have it looked at, the sooner you can fix it.

baldjim 07-05-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by gerryP (Post 2286388)
Hey Jim,

Yellow eyes is not a good sign. Don't be afraid, just get an appointment with your Dr.as many have suggested. Yellow eyes are normally indicative of a liver problem, not necessarily having everything to do with a high enzyme count and may not have anything to do with alcohol abuse.

Sooner you have it looked at, the sooner you can fix it.

i had my liver checked about 5 weeks ago ,i have a fatty liver?? said the quack it is not hurting any more when i first stopped drinking it swelled right up and even seemed to push my lower ribs out at the back ,that has gone down now and my urine is a more normal colour

i shall pester my doc:c014::c014:

rhnorment 07-05-2009 11:56 AM

The good is that you only have a "fatty liver." This is the first stage of alcoholic liver disease and the liver will usually heal itself to function 100% normally if you abstain from alcohol (assuming there are not other problems with your liver, e.g., too much Tylenol).

I had "alcoholic hepatitis," the second phase of alcoholic liver disease, and my enzymes were over 700. But when I abstained, the enzyme count went back to normal, but I still have a fatty liver. It will take a bit more time for the fat to completely leave my liver. Jaundice, which causes yellow eyes and skin, is a symptom at this stage.

Statistically, only 15% of alcoholics ever get to the final stage, cirrhosis, which is good news. My grandfather died of it and it was painful to watch and I know painful for him to live with for 5 years.

baldjim 07-05-2009 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by rhnorment (Post 2286471)
The good is that you only have a "fatty liver." This is the first stage of alcoholic liver disease and the liver will usually heal itself to function 100% normally if you abstain from alcohol (assuming there are not other problems with your liver, e.g., too much Tylenol).

I had "alcoholic hepatitis," the second phase of alcoholic liver disease, and my enzymes were over 700. But when I abstained, the enzyme count went back to normal, but I still have a fatty liver. It will take a bit more time for the fat to completely leave my liver. Jaundice, which causes yellow eyes and skin, is a symptom at this stage.

Statistically, only 15% of alcoholics ever get to the final stage, cirrhosis, which is good news. My grandfather died of it and it was painful to watch and I know painful for him to live with for 5 years.

thank you very much for your post ,saved me from a sleepless night:You_Rock_

the doctor said i should recover ,i just assumed everyone who drank loads had yellow eyes ,most of the heavy drinkers i know have yellow or bloodshot eyes but in england getting stupid fall down drunk is not only a way of life its expected of you,you are considered less of a man if you dont :c004:

joedris 07-05-2009 12:50 PM

Sorry Jimbo, My eyes never turned yellow nor did my hair fall out. Must be a Brit thing. My guess is that when your liver returns to normal so will your eyes. But it's always good to have a second opinion on that, so see your doctor. And who knows? Maybe they'll stay that way forever. The yellowed eyed, bald guy.....Hmmmm.

baldjim 07-05-2009 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by joedris (Post 2286504)
Sorry Jimbo, My eyes never turned yellow nor did my hair fall out. Must be a Brit thing. My guess is that when your liver returns to normal so will your eyes. But it's always good to have a second opinion on that, so see your doctor. And who knows? Maybe they'll stay that way forever. The yellowed eyed, bald guy.....Hmmmm.

its the sexy homer look :c033::c033: