Notices

yellow eyes

Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Assuming alcohol is the culprit, the pancreas will usually fail before the liver, which is why so many alcoholics are also diabetics.

The liver is one tough organ. Alcoholics can certainly rejoice in that fact!
Old 07-05-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by rhnorment View Post
Assuming alcohol is the culprit, the pancreas will usually fail before the liver, which is why so many alcoholics are also diabetics.

The liver is one tough organ. Alcoholics can certainly rejoice in that fact!
if it can re-grow and re-heal itself ,why cant they just grow me a new one in a dish or testtube
Old 07-05-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Glad to hear you are going to see your doc.

Lots of good info in this thread....thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
catch-22

Originally Posted by baldjim View Post
yes buddy had my liver enzymes checked they were 149 instead of 44
my enzymes were 194 and never had yellow eyes! 149 is not that bad and you will recover for sure. It took me a couple of months to get back to normal. The liver is an amazing organ... keep it up!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I hadn't noticed much how bad my eyes looked except for during and after an especially bad drunk (and after I overdosed and burned a hole in my liver) but I think that's because I avoided looking at myself.... last fall when I'd been sober for around a year I started noticing how BRIGHT and clear my eyes were! When I was younger people had always commented on my eyes but that hadn't happened in many years but in the past 6 months once again strangers or new acquaintances have started commenting on my eyes; so for me it took about 12-15 months for my eyes to be bright and clear again--the fact that I'm over 50 might have made the change slower I don't know.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey baldjim,

Well for you, Monday the workday is over...did you make an appointment to see your Dr.? Since we are not Dr.'s who have posted, we have only shared our experience with you regarding yellow eyes.

I like others here and Joedris did not have yellow eyes, nor did I go bald, but my Dr. wanted to see me every 6 weeks for a year after I stopped drinking and my enzyme count was only slightly elevated, thankfully.

Did you ask your Dr. 5 weeks ago about your eye colour? did he notice them and offer a possible reason. Just looking out for you...
Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
Hey baldjim,

Well for you, Monday the workday is over...did you make an appointment to see your Dr.? Since we are not Dr.'s who have posted, we have only shared our experience with you regarding yellow eyes.

I like others here and Joedris did not have yellow eyes, nor did I go bald, but my Dr. wanted to see me every 6 weeks for a year after I stopped drinking and my enzyme count was only slightly elevated, thankfully.

Did you ask your Dr. 5 weeks ago about your eye colour? did he notice them and offer a possible reason. Just looking out for you...
thanks for your reply gerry

i have another blood test lined up for Wednesday i have been 1000% healthy since the 3rd of June ,raw cabbage,red meat once a week you name it i,ve done it

i'm gona get healthy even if it kills me

i will ask about the eyes on wed
Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Lots of cabbage will certainly make you healthy in more ways than one.

Great attitude Jim and glad that you are taking care of things.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Double post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
Double post
you can say that again buddy
Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Test

I was just wondering which liver enzyme test you're all referring to. My lab sheet had several (AST, ALT, Bilirubin, Albumin, etc.). Which one is the important one?

Thanks,

c
Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

The yellowing is caused by abnormally high levels of bilirubin, Calynn. That is a primary cause of jaundice.

It's good for all of us to get a thorough check, and re-checks along our sober paths.. we've done a LOT of damage inside.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
The yellowing is caused by abnormally high levels of bilirubin, Calynn. That is a primary cause of jaundice.

It's good for all of us to get a thorough check, and re-checks along our sober paths.. we've done a LOT of damage inside.
thank you tomorrow is d day the blood test
Old 07-07-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post

Thanks Flutter - guess I still don't understand. My Bilirubin was .03 and in earlier posts they were mentioning numbers in the 100's. The only result I had over 100 was Alkaline Phosphatase & it was 102. Could that be the test they're all referring to? I'm just curious.

Thanks again,

c
Old 07-07-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Heathen

Calynn, smaller should clear up if you stay away from liquor. We're far from docs here.. maybe get another test done, and have em explain it to you?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Calynn, smaller should clear up if you stay away from liquor. We're far from docs here.. maybe get another test done, and have em explain it to you?
Thanks Smacked - I was just curious about which test everyone was talking about. Mine were all in the normal (but high normal range). I just had the tests done a couple months ago. Again, I'm not yellow or anything but I was just curious about what everyone was talking about. My doc isn't great about explaining things or calling me back for that matter. Still looking for a new one...

c
Old 07-08-2009, 01:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
catch-22

I think mine was ALT... I live in the UK, so I'm not sure if it's measured in the same way...

Liver Function Tests

liver function tests & blood tests
Old 07-08-2009, 02:17 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
jimbo

thanks catch22

i'm off to get my blood done and i will ask exactly what is high and with your brilliant post i can see what is going wrong with me
Old 07-08-2009, 02:23 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
catch-22

Pleasure and good luck!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by catch-22 View Post
Pleasure and good luck!

ALT SERUM is too high ???

my other thing the bilirubin thing was 18 and top normal is 17 so not too bad

i'g going to track down the facts not just for me but for a newbie who will join this forum one day with yellow eyes and a high liver enzyme and wonder what the hell is going on with them

fear not newbie jimbo is on the case