Notices

Anyone lose weight after quitting drinking

Old 07-27-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Yes. I lost 30 lbs in one year without even trying. I was drinking about 1,500-1,800 calories a day.

During my drinking I gained 70 lbs and went from slender and healthy to obese.

Now that I'm a non-drinker I am on way back to healthy and slender.

I'll never forget my doctor telling me that I needed to lose some weight because my BMI was verging on "obese" at the end of my drinking. She recommended an 1,800 calorie a day diet. My first thought was, well I drink that much in alcohol every day.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Red face Started losing weight.

Hello. I have been sober for just over 2 months I am 25. I gained waight from drinking and waigh 175 up on till two weeks ago when I started to lose lots now I'm at 163 and most likely will keep dropping. Up until I was 22 I was always 125 -130 lbs then I got into drinkng "about 6 pac a day" up on till Jan 1 2016 when I quit. I didnt lose waight for the firat 2 mounths. Now the punds are flying off. I was worried I was loosing wa ight to fast until I read some of the other posts about waight loss on this forum. I'm assured that since I have went back to full time work in a phisicly demanding job 3 weeks ago that maybe I'm just burning off water waight or beer gut. I was laid off for about 6 months so there was alot of couch time. Now I'm back at it and I can't be leve how fast the pounds are coming off.. it's nice knowing I'm not the only one. Cheers.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I am a 55 yo male approx 6 foot tall. Stopped my daily drinking in late October 2015 so it's been almost 5 months. During this time I have lost about 12 pounds. Started at 195 and am now around 183. I avoid sugar and white flower products and I exercise moderately. As others have said it depends on your personal situation but for me the weight loss is an added bonus to sobriety.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I put on 70 lbs from drinking! I used to be very thin. Now I am trying to lose lbs. Ideally I would like to lose 50lbs. I'm not fixating on the weight though...just trying to eat healthy and exercise.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I managed to get one month of sobriety down in January and gained 13 to 15 lbs in two weeks. I had been starving myself though by only drinking and eating very little (long story, in law lives with us and I hate going downstairs) Once the withdrawal symptoms calmed, I started craving everything, and oddly enough sweets too as others have said, which I usually don't like - also loads of Pepsi. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon and am back on day one yet again here today, but my family is fed up and husband is no longer going to be gone on second shift, which is when my drinking really increased. I hope by having him home, it will help. He won't let me go to the store alone and I won't be so lonely and dr. depresso, plus we will also make and eat dinner again for the first time in two years. He will also be available to drive me to AA. Best of luck to everyone. I decided I'd let myself eat and drink (not alcohol of course) what I feel like for a short while again, then knock off the sweets and soda, as my regular diet is fairly healthy once I get back on track. Happy weekend, all.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi
6'4 and 245 when I quit in the fall.
I hope to break under 200 lbs by my 48th birthday next week...., 3 lbs. to go!!!!
Weight fell off at first but then slowed as I began eating more healthily.
I'm not obsessing over it but count this as one of the gifts of sobriety.
Blood pressure went from high to muddle normal and blood sugar from ore-diabetic to completely normal.
I eat healthily and walk and..... Don't drink.
Jonathan
Old 03-23-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I've gained about 50 pounds from drinking. I'm only 5"3 and before i started drinking on a daily basis i was always around 120. I stopped drinking a few days ago and I've been eating healthy/exercising. I feel better but I'm hoping it will work.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I was 240 lbs when I started cutting back 6 months ago, lost a few pounds almost every week, and I'm still losing weight, down to 210 last I checked. I also exercised a lot when I was drinking a lot and I always ate pretty well too, so the extra 1000 calories a day of beer really worked against me. I haven't seen my abs since I was 21 and I'm starting to show a two-pack haha! Had to buy new jeans, new shirts, practically a whole new wardrobe. Good stuff!
Old 03-23-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Went from 227 lbs (103kg) to 185lbs (84kg) and staying there without trying too much since I quit 3 years ago.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I've been sober 72 days and one of the things I really wanted to do was drop the 25 lbs or so of booze weight I'd put on. At 5'4" I like to keep it around 130ish, give or take. But I'd bumped up into the high 150s.

It has taken a TON of effort, but I've lost 10 lbs so far. Oh, well. Slow and steady wins the race...I hope! :-)
Old 03-23-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Slow and steady :)

I am at 82 days today and about 10 pounds down. I was hoping for more too but I will take it! I was consistently gaining so .....
Old 03-23-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Of course! I went down 35 pounds in 90 days! I gave up sugar too because beer (alcohol) is processed as a sugar and was stored as fat!

Intro!
Old 03-26-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

doesn't make sense...

73 days sober.
Counting every calorie and every step via fit bit. Always have a calorie deficit.
Why oh why am I not Losing a pound?
Not fair. 😡
Still better to be sober but c'mon man!
Holly.🎋
Old 03-26-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

My AH is terrified of losing weight if he quits drinking. Therefore drinking is an incentive to not being skinny. He fears that once he stops drinking, he will wind up too thin. He has a bad habit of not eating and getting full off his beer consumption. He often eats one meal a day which is dinner. I'm 5'3 and 115 pounds and eat more than him. He is 6'3.
Food to him is not as pleasurable as it is to most of us.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Introspectator

I was hopeful that I would lose weight after I stopped, so far it's been 4 months...no weight loss. It's not like I replaced the beer calories with food either...hmmm. Oh well, I am going to start riding my bike again so it will come off, or turn back to muscle...

Introspectator
Old 09-05-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I figured I would have dropped a few pounds. No beer or whiskey for 10 days plus on my bike each of those ten days. Eating healthy...... maybe my portion sizes are too much. Still eight beers a night, 26 of whiskey and 2 litter of coke.... man thats a lot of calories.

Doesnt matter. Being sober is the most important.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I started Weight Watchers at the same time as when I stopped drinking, I decided that this would be my year to get my health back. I have lost 40 pounds in nine months. I would like to lose another nine, but I am good with where I am. It is much nicer trying on clothes!

My next goal is more toning exercises, I have been walking and doing weights, but need to be more consistent with other toning.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I've lost around 40 lbs maybe over the last year, with 8 months sober. My drinking added a lot of extra calories to my diet which have been removed now.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I've lost 19 pounds since Feb...combination of low carb and quitting alcohol. It was about 45 days after quitting alcohol before I could see a difference on the scales. I started at 213...today at 194. I walk for exercise. Sober since mid June.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
sober style

I've lost a total of 51 lbs since February due to being sober, my current streak of 90 days plus an earlier one of 75. I was drinking 3000-4000 calories in beer every single day before that. Historically I'm a lean person, now with the alcohol gone I'll be a lean person again. Feels great, remembering who I really am.