Notices

Anyone lose weight after quitting drinking

Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your pregnancy Chanel1125! Do we have many 'recovery's babies among us?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:51 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nolaspiral View Post
Oh gawd, I went through Twizzlers, Mike & Ike's, M&M's (peanut, dammit), and a ton of REAL Coke. Thing is, I was never a fan of sweets at any time in my life, even when I was very young and not a raging drunk. I've been told that it's your body trying to reach out for all of those carbs that drinking provided once those drinks metabolized as a sugar. I meant to Google it, but it does make perfect sense.

Thing is, a huge cheeseburger could have been in front of me, and I'd scooch it aside to get to a bag of M&M's. That's changed now that the initial shock is done with, and I'm back to not caring about sweets at all.

Alcohol, ONTOH, I obsess over constantly.
you are exactly right! when I stopped drinking my body did miss the constant supply of sugar. I quit drinking only 12 days ago and I have been having dizzy spells daily along with craving sugar to replace the sugar that I am no longer consuming though alcohol I was taking in about 3000 calories with just booze daily and consuming junk when I did eat. and now that I have stopped my drinking I crave freezer pops which I guess is ok there only about 10 calories each and I have one daily other than that I have been eating better than ever it seems when I got sober I began to care about myself and without really even thinking about it I just started eating really well. I have not stepped on a scale but I can feel the bloat is gone and my rings are too big and either I have gotten shorter or my jeans have gotten longer and I have even started shaving my legs again lol.
for me being sober has given me a new found self respect that I did not have when I was drinking. I am really loving how I feel now
Old 06-22-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Bochuck,
Around 8 years ago I stop drinking for a long time and I lost lots of weight... that I did not need to lose. I could not eat. I do not know why, while when drinking I had lots of unconscious eating plus booze.

Since then, although i started drinking again I was following a very decent healthy diet. During pregnancy and breastfeeding I put on an incredible amount of weight both times. However, I was not eating much more. I have put on a bit of weight this week. I eat very healthily (cereals and fruit in the morning, some more fruits and small sandwich of wholegrain bread at luch and for instance yesterday, steamed salmon and spinach for dinner).
I think some of us put on weight when we do not drink. My guess - have not done any 'research' on this, is that my liver or the rest of my body does not take the nutrients of food while drinking. Do not worry about the weight right now. It will come off. This is transition time. I guess only after a few months sober you can assess what is really going on
Old 06-22-2010, 03:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I've been working out pretty hardcore with weights and doing some running, but I can't get rid of my gut. I can feel the stomach muscles getting harder and my stomach exercises are becoming easier and I'm building up the reps, but it's still there...no change. Maybe I permanently did something. It's not all hard either, it's jiggly and fatty.
ARGGHH!!! I don't have enough cash for liposuction.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I quit wine 12 days ago and I am sooo....bloated can't fit into my clothes. gained 7lbs. frustrating. I eat only fish chicken lots of water. I hope this goes away I thought I would be losing.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:53 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bochuck View Post
I quit wine 12 days ago and I am sooo....bloated can't fit into my clothes. gained 7lbs. frustrating. I eat only fish chicken lots of water. I hope this goes away I thought I would be losing.
I think its gonna take a while for your body to adjust. are you consuming sugar to replace the sugar you were getting from the wine?
when I was drinking I would only eat once a day all junk and now I find myself
eating tiny ammounts all day long but I stocked up on fresh vegi's and fruits so it makes it easyier to grab the good stuff.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For our newly sober members.....

Check with your doctor about following an eating plan for hypoglycemia.

I did the one in the book "Under The Influence"
by Milam & Ketcham for about 6 months ..good results

I also used the vitamin supplements recommended there.
I walked daily...to AA and work.

By the end of 2 months ...I was back in healthy
balance mentally and physically.
My cravings had been short and manageable.

Please give yourself time to heal.....and move forward.
Congratulations to our newest winnners....
Old 06-23-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

88 lbs so far or about 20 lbs a year.
I am just now hitting my BMI perfectly.
One of the many many benefits of sobriety is weight loss.
Best.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I drank over 2000 calories a day in vodka but I gained 55lbs when I got sober.
I was underweight when drinking and I am a cocaine addict so that probably had something to do with it. I'd given myself ulcers from drinking and was throwing up all the time, when I got sober the ulcers made me incredibly hungry and I became slightly overweight.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm 6'4", and I dropped ~20 lbs (280 to 260) in the 3.5 months since I've quit drinking. Also eating healthier (more seafood and salads, less pastas and greasy food). Pants are looser now - will need to invest in some new threads.

Have not been exercising - that is next. Amazing what happens when you don't dump >1000 worthless calories down the hatch every night!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm 3 days sober and have lost 5lbs, I eat only veggies, meats are chicken breast or fish. Starting to run and life weights
Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

When I decided to get serious about getting sober I gave myself permission to eat and drink whatever sugar infused foods I wanted.

I drank an awful lot of lemonade and ate dozens of cookies in the first several weeks. I didn't care about the sugar from food, I just wanted to stop drinking. The sugar cravings for me were strongest over the first four months. But the cookie/lemonade combo helped me establish some new behaviors and routines.

I definitely gained weight, but now my body seems to have adjusted. My sugar cravings are gone; my sugar intake has dramatically been reduced. I'm eating healthier and am on my way to losing the 7 - 9 lbs I need to lose.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

i gained weight. i will gladly take my 202lb clean and sober weight over my 153lb alcohol drinkin, crack smokin weight any day.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

Up until I had to start this medication for management of a long term condition I found out about after I quit drinking (started it at the end of January of 2012 - the medication that is), I lost 76 lbs from February of 2011 to January of 2012.
From January of 2012 to now, I've lost an additional 6 lbs, that's all. This med is notorious for gaining weight, however.

The weight loss is from no exercise, merely the loss from calories. I was drinking 10-15 ice beers every night, 150 calories each, 7 days a week.

Looooots of calories........

Wasn't a motivator in the least but one heckuvan awesome bonus!

Lots more to lose....those kinds of calories over 6 years packs the weight on....
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I am in question of whats going on with myself as well. Ive drank for many years, mostly beers every night and finally decided I was going to lose weight. Firrst thing I should have done is quit drinking but I didnt. I started a regimen of weight workouts and a strict diet. I also restricted myself to only super low card beer, yet still I had many a night. I did lose weight, I lost up wards of 50 to 60 pounds in 5 or 6 months. After awhile I decided Id cut the carbs out but continue to drink and just downed vodka instead.
Things of course got worse, but it didnt hinder my weight loss goals really due to eating so little and so healthy. Still I had gotten to a fifth a day by the time I stopped. I never really grew any muscle over the period of about 2 years of constant muscle workouts. Alcohol had made gains impossible and i didnt get enough nutritious calories to build anyway. So the last month and a half have been wild, Ive felt like i am going through a growth spert at 31 years old. I gained about 15 to 20 pounds within this time. It would be foolish for me to call it all muscle but idk. I track every calorie I intake as well as burn and have not had an excess to create lots of growth in either fat or muscle. Ive looked for info on this specific subject and have found nothing. I guess not to many people worked out everyday and worried about what they ate while downing a fifth everyday. I feel a lot better but i dont wanna get fat. Already do 4 to 5 muscle workouts a week and 45 to an hour of cardio a day as well. If anyone has a good idea, let me know.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no info Hepcat081....but I'm glad you quit alcohol as we all know
it's certainly an unhealthy toxic liquid...

Welcome to our recovery community....
Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I gained about 30 pounds. Funny when you barf up the few things you bother eating and have explosive diareah with the rest the pounds just shed right away.

For me my digestive system was pretty much in shock and eating was low priority. What I did eat I think my body was too busy trying to rid itself of toxins to absorb any nutrition from.

I have yet to be arrested for driving with a fat arse though so it's all good.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Like many others, I compensating by eatings lots of sugars and simple carbs during my first few weeks sober. I couldn't drink enough pop, energy drinks, or eat enough chips and chocolate. Slowly I started cutting down on the sugar, and began exercising a few times a week (yay karate!). It took a few months and then suddenly the fat just fell off me, and I lost about 10 pounds. I was already pretty tiny to begin with, so losing that much weight has definitely made a huge difference in my appearance. It's been kinda a pain because my clothing doesn't really fit anymore, but I gotta say I'm looking pretty damn good these days!

Funnily enough, I didn't realize this, but apparently I carried my last few pounds in my bust. I swear I've lost at least a cup size! I'm definitely not complaining, as I've always felt a bit too busty for 5'2".
Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

in my drinking career, i've quit a few times...each time i've dropped weight, drastically. Im 5'8 female and was at 165-170 and when I quit drinking and started exercising, i dropped down to 132 and was very fit and toned. i felt great! then i started drinking again and it all came back, and then some. my highest was 190. did this at least two more times.

currently i've got 19 days and have dropped 7 lbs and that's even with muscle weight. i was drinking an excess of probably 500-1000 calories a day, and would just eat less if i knew it was a long drinking night. switched to vodka and soda for less calories, but still too much.

if it was a pizza and wine night i would easily consume 2000 extra calories. yikes, and i don't even want to drink a non-diet soda now!!!

i feel healthier already and i am going to stick to it this time.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

true

Originally Posted by Overman View Post
I think it depends on what one's dietary habits were when using.

For example, one of my favorite drunken activities was creating huge, full-course gourmet meals. I loved to eat when I was drinking. They just seemed to naturally go together. Add the thousands of calories that alcohol creates, and the blimp was flying.

Otoh, others eat very little to nothing when drinking, so they gain weight after quitting. This seems to be more common among women, from my observations.
You are very right. For me I'd start at 11am and didn't eat all day so I wouldn't ruin my buzz. I heard hepatitis and diabetes is linked to drinking on an empty stomach. I am on my first day of being sober and I hope I can keep it up and lose some weight in the process.