Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Former or current alcoholics, how do you hide your drinking?

Notices

Former or current alcoholics, how do you hide your drinking?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

As others have said, the best part of being sober is not having to worry about hiding/covering up your problem. That is a huge weight off of my shoulders.

I used to stash bottles all over my house. To this day (I'm 6 months into my sobriety) I will come across an empty that I hid; either up above the ceiling tiles or out in the garage or some similar place. When I find one I just laugh, and remind myself of what awful times those were.

Have faith, Wilbur. Things will get better if you want them to.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Something just occurred to me about hiding my bottles. After a few years of sobriety I was still finding them. I guess I hid them really well. Just can't figure out why I hid one in the wheel well of my car....
Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I live alone and I still hid my bottles. I'd be drinking, go get the bottle out to fix another bucket of Bacardi & Coke (meaning I used the big, insulated mugs) then hide it again. I was so ashamed that I was drinking that I hid the bottles just in case someone came over. At that time, I really had no friends left who would be just stopping by either. So who was I trying to hide this from? When I think about this, the true insanity of this disease really makes itself known. I'd be rip roaring drunk, carrying a big drink around in a mug with me, spilling it here and there, falling down and I worried about if someone came over and saw my bottle. Wow.

But thank God that was then and this is now.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I lived alone.....never hid my bottles
I had a stocked bar in my apartment.

however....
I did attempt to keep my drinking out of my job

That did not work ...I often reeked of booze at work.
:

It's my observation and experience that "secret" drinkers
are only convinceing themselves of their secret.

Don't forget the odor...the red blotchy skin...the blank
spots in your memory you try to cover up to another...
.dull lifeless hair and eyes....erratic mood swings...spider veins
Geez! alcohol is a toxin for everyone...not only alcoholics.

Get sober....a healthy joy filled future can be yours too.

Last edited by CarolD; 06-02-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was a home alone drunk and had a million very effective ways to hide the act of drinking, the alcohol itself, and the evidence, none of which I will share here. Hiding drinking and the evidence of drinking is the easist thing in the world. Hiding my drunkenness was impossible when I drank as much as I wanted to.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am so glad I am not scheming, planning and hiding my drinking anymore. If I put that much effort into other parts of my life, I am sure I would be retired on a tropical island by now!!!
And you are all correct everyone knew, I was kidding myself, no one else
Old 06-03-2009, 03:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I used (can I say that after only 23 days sober?)to hide cans (never been a spirit drinker) all over the house and in the garden. I would tell my wife I am going to the cashpoint, buy a can for on the way, have a pint in a pub while there and a can on the way back. Tell DP I was just getting 4 cans for the night. Buy 6 and manage to drink 2 on the way back.

No wonder she does not trust me anymore.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm single and have one room mate. I don't hide it from him, but I always hide the bottles. When one bottle is empty I'll usually remove some trash from the bin and then put the bottle in and cover it up so it can't be seen. When I come home with a new bottle; if he's home I'll leave it in my car and wait impatiently for a chance to bring it in unseen. One time a dog got into my trash and my neighbor decided to be nice and clean it up for me. I was so embarrassed because I knew he was picking up my big empty rum bottles that were scattered in the yard. I couldn't stop wondering what he was thinking at that time. I am so ashamed of my drinking and that shame and the constant lying is just one of the things that's motivating me right now to find help. I'm going to detox as soon as I can find out where to go.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Chris.....Hmmm...
call your doctor about de toxing.
Go to an AA meeting....ask people there
Call the Salvation Army in your area....they have free de tox centers.
Teaching hospitals are usually knowledgeable about de toxing.

See what info is here....

National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Referral Routing Service available at
1-800-662-HELP

This service can provide you with information about treatment programs in your local community and allow you to speak with someone about alcohol problems

Please reach out in person for assistance....
Old 06-03-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spen71 View Post
I used (can I say that after only 23 days sober?)to hide cans (never been a spirit drinker) all over the house and in the garden. I would tell my wife I am going to the cashpoint, buy a can for on the way, have a pint in a pub while there and a can on the way back. Tell DP I was just getting 4 cans for the night. Buy 6 and manage to drink 2 on the way back.

No wonder she does not trust me anymore.
Should have said 3 days, sorry that was a typo.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I used to hide them in my trunk.
When that started filling up too fast I bought a van.
When that started filling up too fast I bought a Peterbilt with a 53 foot trailer.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I sure don't miss the lying and shame, posts like this remind me why I don't want to drink! One day I may find that big pile of beer bottles I dumped in the woods.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
ever closer...

reading over this thread I got a little chuckle thinking...rinse and repeat
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It really is amazing reading these posts and realizing that I'm not the only one. From the hiding of the bottles, to lying to the spouse to get out of the house to buy more, to having a rotating stable of liquor stores to visit. Been there, done that. Hopefully never again.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, I drank beer. I only like beer to be ice cold, so I couldn't exactly hide them. I was somewhat embarrassed though on trash day when the cans in the bag would all clink when I put the trash out.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

I always went to different stores so the people working at them wouldn't get the idea that I had a problem. As far as in home drinking, I'd just drink a lot more than was obvious. Hide cans and carry them off when no one was at home. Replaced what I had drank with about half of what was there..........
Old 06-04-2009, 02:50 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Well, I drank beer. I only like beer to be ice cold, so I couldn't exactly hide them. I was somewhat embarrassed though on trash day when the cans in the bag would all clink when I put the trash out.
I put out our recycling today and could not believe how many empty cans where there. Thank god I have decided to stop.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:59 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I know how hard it is, I dont hide I have before though. Ive used bushes sheds all sorts.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

I never hid any of my bottles or cans. I was pretty much a "Yes, I am an alcoholic and I am going to drink this person." Although, as Suki mentioned trash day was pretty embarrasing. The entire garbage can sized recyle bin full of nothing but cans, bottles, and boxes from wine. I definitely do not miss any of that.

Now that I think of it I do remember a time I hid how much alcohol I had drank. I was visiting my Mother and bought a bottle of Jameson. I drank pretty much the entire thing in one night and filled it with water so she didn't see how much of it I could actually drink.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I will be very honest and say that if this post were the equivalent in an eating disorder forum, it would sound like a "how to" post and be flagged as triggering to those fighting an ED. I know it probably wasn't meant that way, but at the same time, I would reply saying, I sure did hide stuff but I am SO glad that I came clean, dumped everything, and I don't have to worry about that any more.

Hugs,
s