Notices

Detox in hospital - what actually happens?

Old 05-14-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Keep in mind

The one thing that you have to remember, is that your so afraid of detox and that really is the easy part. Its not easy in a sense but it will pass if you stay clean. What is really a struggle is the after care. In any detox or rehab program most of the nurses and doctors are there to help you because that is their life work and they try to teach you the life skills of staying sober. Once you get out your on your own unless you attend meetings, rehab or visit here its easy to go back and have to detox again. So don't be afraid to detox, thats the easy part.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

I really hate how people get involved in these sorts of threads, yet i cannot escape them. So many have a copy-paste approach, standardized response to this sort of inquiries that to me it is shocking how they can drop wiki-like responses without any regard to the level of fear and anxiety that the people that come with these sorts of questions and almost giving a prognosis - knowing that this is very individual to each personīs health state / condition / etc. Sharing detoxing experiences, in my humble opinion, does little of help and can only increase fear. In fact, i am thankful that i have come to SR for recovery and support - not during any of my many detox sessions.

Now, my two cents. Hi Jack. Nice meeting you.

I have no idea why would anyone deny themselves from getting professional help in order to detox or even on early stages of rehabilitation. I personally, donīt have any money. I am still paying due bills, still working hard to get my life going on once again. Here, in my city, you need to be deep down on a coma, then they might consider to assist you (that if you have a really good health insurance: if not then you are in the hands of whatever high power you believe in). I even had a bad episode once and the Emergency people came 4 hours later, gave me ONE Valium and a pat in the back. Rehab centers are few, from what i have heard pretty ****** and as expensive as in any other country. I need to wait until July now to see the psych i was assigned (which is not free, my insurance only cover a part of it). And forget about detoxing at a hospital (or any free rehab program) - our health system is in such a decay that is not even funny. And every single doctor, no matter how honest i was with my drinking and pretty much disregarding my addictive history and only taking a few bits of my health history, just prescribe whatever they feel like prescribing: as long at it is a drug that they get payed to push.

It all can be an excuse, but it is not. I just continue fighting this as i can.

So, if i had the chance (and i were drinking as i was by the end of last year), i would just go, chill at a hospital, get the right amount of drugs i need to get the alcohol safely out of my system, then check myself into a rehab center and begin recovery. It is sort of a "starving children in Africa" comparison (not my intention) but i cannot help it - some people need help and they cannot get it, they donīt even get it once they are dead.

So please, if you have a chance, go bore yourself your arse off with the assistance of professionals if you have the chance I wish i could be bored, learning and progressing, dealing with my addictions and my problematic in a safe place. For now i try my best with what i can and donīt deny any sort of help: anything else, i truly know, is just another excuse.

Be well and sorry for the long response. Sending the last pieces of strength for the day (getting an green tea nightcap and reading my Faulkner until sleep).

I like the summary someone made once here: Get Help. Detox. Stay Off The Boards In The Meantime.

Then come back
to this wonderful place of support called SR. It is indeed a miracle.

All the best!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Everybody's already given great advice, best of which is do a medical detox. It really isn't nearly as bad (as posted above) as going through it at home. I've gone through it inpatient in the hospital, in a few different free detox clinics, and at home cold turkey throughout my struggle to get sober. After the first time in medical detox I always went back to detox medically, even in the 3rd rate free place. I was MUCH more comfortable and it made it much easier to get sober. Even if I didn't stay for the 30 day inpatient program I detoxed there, it was just so much easier. I'd highly recommend it. It's not nearly as scary as you think.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Im sorry to here that

Alka,

The boards are here for recovery, did you think you were here for something else?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Stay off the boards in the mean time

Do you really have the right to say that to some one? Are you an official?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I did not post that my friend did

I am sooo sorry, but she thinks she knows everything. I'm gonna go but I am so sorry.