Notices

alcoholism and disability

Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The problem with the American healthcare system is the HMO/PPO system. If you don't have insurance, you sometimes have no resources unless you really look. So I really feel for you here Bluberry. I've haven't had formal insurance for almost 5 years and I've had to rely on walk in clinics.

When I got sober, it wasn't until I had spent almost everything I had on the places that advertise before anyone clued me into the resources that WERE available.

This is gonna sound really weird, but my best advice is to book an hour or two of time with a drug offense or criminal attorney. For some reason, they know all the free or discounted resources to get medical and physchological help. The places that can help don't advertise because they can't afford it, they spend all their money on helping.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

thank you sara, yes I do feel panicked. I don't think that is something a lot of the people posting realize. I have gotten the impression that people feel I do not want to work, that i'm just looking for a free ride. when really, i am looking for a solution to my insurance problem. I kind of feel insulted really. I have found, however, through these posts and just time thinking about it that disability is not what i am seeking. by the way, i have contacted catholic charities and they offer no support on diabetes supplies (such as blood test strips, syrenges) but i have found a clinic that offers help, it just takes 6 weeks to become effective. so what do i do for those 6 weeks? How will i give my insulin without syrenges? I'm sure that i will find some way. if i found some way to use while i was broke i'm sure i can find a way to get medical supplies without any money. I just dont want to have to steal or pan handle to have to do this. Well, I just want to say thank you to the people that were helpful in their posts, rather than being insensitive like a lot of people were about my inquiry.
I do understand the fear. Sorry, I thugh Catholic Charities still did all the diabetic needs and not just the Insulin.

Here's a 'google search' to start with:

Assistance getting medication - Google Search

Also use the one posted by Sara.

Many of the drug companies now help those that have no finances.

Look who the manufacturers are of the what you are using. I know for a fact when I was at the end of my savings and no SS yet that Accu Chek supplied me with my test strips and my 'stickers' free of charge.

So check your meter manufacturer and then go to their web site. Search the site for their 'assistance' information. Same thing with the syringes. Also your Insulin manufactuer.

There is also a site where Doctors can request assistance for a patient:

https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php

This site may also be helpful to you.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for your help! I appreciate it. Ahhh... I got 3 more days till I leave. I will be gone for 30 days, possibly more. I'm scared ******** to sober up. Theres a lot I have to face, asside from my financial and medical problems. Any advice on what to do while I'm gone besides trying to get assistance for my diabetes supplies?
Old 04-19-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sober up and do the steps?

"When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically." pg 77.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Originally Posted by Bluberry View Post
Thanks to all for your help! I appreciate it. Ahhh... I got 3 more days till I leave. I will be gone for 30 days, possibly more. I'm scared ******** to sober up. Theres a lot I have to face, asside from my financial and medical problems. Any advice on what to do while I'm gone besides trying to get assistance for my diabetes supplies?
3 more days until a new start and a new life! It's completely normal to be scared but you are doing the best possible thing you can for yourself and your future. Please be safe over the next 3 days. It never hurts to go to a meeting and stick close to SR. Anything to keep yourself occupied in a positive way to reduce your chance of accidently harming yourself before you leave. Feel free to PM me if you want someone to chat with.

As far as advice for when you are in rehab the main thing to focus on is yourself and gaining the tools you need to live a sober lifestyle. I don't think you really need to worry about what you need to be doing because your program will be structured to get you started on the road to recovery and the main part of that will be life after you leave rehab. Someone else mentioned a Sober Living Facility for when you complete treatment which will give you further support and extra tools but this will be a decision to make with your treatment team.

Have you considered calling the facility you are going to or seeing if they have online website you can visit to get an idea of the general structure? Maybe having a basic idea will help lower your anxiety levels.

Congrats on your decision to get sober.