Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Just recently I started having terrible hangovers...advice?

Notices

Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yea ... stop drinking.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I came to AA because I Can't stop DRINKING!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yep, stop drinking.. you'll never have a hangover again!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Do you people hate me? Is that what this is?

Is it pick on McGowdog day? I'm the newbie. I get it.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good God! We can't stop drinking. We're Alcoholics!! If we could just stop drinking we wouldn't have an alcoholism board to suggest it on. None of this would be necessary.
For what it's worth. AA done correctly will remove your obsession with alcohol and desire to drink. Unless you like those hangovers.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Welcome to SR.

If you decide you need help to stop here is a list of recovery programs:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

I also agree, it wouldn't hurt to talk to your Doctor and have some tests run.

It definitely sounds like your body is not reacting well to alcohol and from your posts I got the impression you weren't sure if you were alcoholic but I say better safe than sorry. It's better to stop early rather than keep going on this road. If you make the decision that you are not an alcoholic in the long-term than this period of abstinence will only benefit you so you can get a bearing on where you are.

For me there was a time where I knew I was starting to cross into the territory of problem drinking. Had I stopped then I would have avoided then next couple of years that followed that were hell on Earth. Also, had I stopped in a few years or whatever time I might still have been able to drink on a social level. Now because I chose the path I did I can never have another drink and for me that actually feels really good to know and is a weight off my shoulders.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

We are invisible, Pink. Dog paddle over to the deep end of recovery.

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
Good God! We can't stop drinking...
Old 04-20-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

I'm obviously going to stop drinking now, not only because those kind of hangovers aren't worth it, but because this bad hangover thing seems like it could be a sign of a health problem since I've not been drinking more than usual, and in these last three cases, have probably had less than usual.

Hi Pete, I agree with you and think its wise to stop drinking. I also agree with the people here who say go to the doctor. If you are an alcoholic and find you cannot stop drinking there is plenty of help for you. But getting back to your question......I have a relative who gets sick each time he drinks and suffers terrible hangovers. He discovered he had stomach problems when he went to the doctor. He has some sort of re action to alcohol and it makes him very ill. He is still getting tests done to check everything but since he quit alcohol he has not been ill. He is not an alcoholic and had no problem quitting.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

alcoholism is progressive, incurable, and fatal. It only gets worse.. I could drink like a champion until a certain point in my life; and since then, I have only gotten sicker and sicker. I can't go back to drinking, no matter how long I have sober; if I do then I will be just as sick as I was when I quit. You can turn a cucumber into a pickle, but you can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

McGowdog,

Don't take it personally...some folks are not ready for the message of recovery, some are and some just need to put the bottle down for awhile. It all works out my friend, really.

R
Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

When i first saw this post i thought....is this post for real.

Then i remembered the level of denial i was in when drinking.

i can remember being flat out in detox.......after 4/5 days i was starting to come round and thinking..."if i ate while i drank i wouldnt be here"...lol..

Im not a doctor but i would suggest that your drinking is causing your hangovers.

I suggest you attempt to stop after consulting a doctor... or the chances are its gonna get a whole lot worse.

keep us posted on how your doing................trucker
Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was having terrible hangovers too, it was actually alcohol withdrawal. I've had no trouble since I quit drinking completely. I would suggest you quit also before it gets worse, and yes, it will get a lot worse if you keep on drinking.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RufusACanal View Post
McGowdog,

Don't take it personally...some folks are not ready for the message of recovery, some are and some just need to put the bottle down for awhile. It all works out my friend, really.

R
Well thanks.

Then alrighty. So just don't drink. Stop. Can they attempt to moderate their drinking and stop at one or two? Some non-alkies and hard drinkers can do this... so I hear.