Notices

4 months sober and very tired

Old 01-28-2009, 01:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 months sober and very tired

Ok this is sort of simple and basically all I really want someone to say is that they felt this way too, that it is somewhat normal. I am four months sober a couple of days ago and I am just so tired by which I mean physically. Sometimes it is hard to keep my eyes open and I do not lead a stressful life or particularly busy. I was just wondering if the physical after-effects of being a drinker for so long can leave your body in recovery for such a long time or more likely the emotional energy expended by your body/mind in recovery is just really taxing. I mean it is not that I want to sleep 12 hours a day but I would not mind 10. I don't know. Again it is not worrying me so much. But I really would like to hear other people's "fatigue timelines"
Old 01-28-2009, 02:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you talked to your doctor about it? The fatigue may not be alcohol-related at all. Another idea may be that you are just bored. Tasks always seemed a little bit easier for me with a drink in hand (that, of course, was just an illusion). Anyway, maybe you should find some activity to add some excitement and intensity to your life. Just brainstorming here.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only way to be sure is to see a doctor - apart from drink more coffee.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whats wrong with ten hours?Sometimes your body may need that. I agree with faulkner you should talk to your doctor it could be non related. Or it could be that you are bored. i have some days that i sleep more than others and some days that i sleep less. i know in early recovery its hard to find things to do that are constructive but as time goes on you may revisit hobbies that you enjoyed before you started drinking or learn new things that drinking prevented you from pursuing. this may keep you more occupied and more lively. Also it isnt a bad idea to take a nap at some point throughout your day. an hour or so usually helps me. just keep pressin on youll be fine.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

im tired too a lot of the time, been sober 3 and a bit months but i hope that is the meds i am on the anti-depressants so prob not the same as what you mean...i hope its the meds!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went through periods of fatigue as well the first 6 months or so. I was told that I had abused my body for so long that *things* were bound to happen as it repaired itself. I was also told to "listen to my body" and if it told me to sleep 16 hours, sleep 16 hours. One final thing that may help is to make sure to drink lots and lots of water. I usually keep a glass of water next to me and when I finish it, I refill it. That helped me.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I can sure relate, initially for the first 3-4 months I seemed to only have energy to go to work, to meetings and to my sponsors once a week. I did then and still do take a multivitamin & a B+Complex daily and try to eat healthy.

A lot of it seemed to have actually been related to mental rather then physical. If I made myself start something I had the energy. This went on for quite a while and I still have spells of it.

I would suggest talking to a doctor first just to be on the safe side, take vitamins, eat right and another thing I find gives me energy is exercise.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
problem with authority

My doctor told me that many alcoholics have temporary blood sugar control problems because of the amount of alcohol (empty sugar) they consumed over a long period of time.

In my first year or so of sobriety, I had bouts of energy alternating with daytime sleepiness, I had weeks where I would spring out of bed at 5am and go to the gym alternating with weeks where it was a struggle to get out of bed before 1pm.

I also had a ravenous appetite and essentially doubled my food intake at every meal.

Of course, just because my doctor said this doesn't mean it's true for you, so you should get checked out in case it is something serious.

I eventually got to a point where I feel equilibrium in my body and am able to exercise and sleep on a regular schedule. Just go easy on yourself and realize your body healing can be a slow and varying process.

M
Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have suffered this problem in sobriety too.

Just being so bone achingly weary that i could barely get off the sofa.

I've been to my doctor about it many times and had lots of blood tests for anaemia, diabetes thyroid troubles etc

These all came back clear and eventually I went onto anti depressents to counteract the physical symptoms, this worked to a certain extent but i understand it is not an option for everyone.

I feel for you as I know how awful it can make you feel, don't give up on the sobriety because of it though. x
Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am just 18 days into this but I am definitely needing more sleep. I am usually an early riser (5:00-ish) but I am learning to sleep in. I feel like my body really needs the rest and it actually feels so good.

From the other posts here it sure sounds like lots of people go through something like you are going through.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum

congratulations on your sober time...
Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I too, was this way and my sponsor finally convinced me to see her regular doctor. He did blood work and some other tests and we quickly found out that I was 'all off' lol

I was low on vital vitamins and minerals, my B12 was practically none existent (fixed by weekly shots, then every 2 weeks and then once a month) all sorts of interesting things I had done to my body over the years of boozing.

You really do need to see your Dr. Some of it may be 'depression caused by PAWS' also. We don't know, so please get checked out.

Congrats on your 4 months, that is AWESOME!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 01-28-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
Ok this is sort of simple and basically all I really want someone to say is that they felt this way too, that it is somewhat normal. I am four months sober a couple of days ago and I am just so tired by which I mean physically. Sometimes it is hard to keep my eyes open and I do not lead a stressful life or particularly busy. I was just wondering if the physical after-effects of being a drinker for so long can leave your body in recovery for such a long time or more likely the emotional energy expended by your body/mind in recovery is just really taxing. I mean it is not that I want to sleep 12 hours a day but I would not mind 10. I don't know. Again it is not worrying me so much. But I really would like to hear other people's "fatigue timelines"
I felt this way, too. It's normal.

It takes months for your body to heal the effects of chronic alcohol abuse. You will experience sleep disturbances, mood disturbances, and physical symptoms for about 1 year to 2 years after you quit drinking.

Get enough sleep. Get some exercise. Eat healthy. Take care of yourself. You'll start to feel better.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One thing I've found is that regular exercise actually KEEPS me energized during the day, but it also helps me sleep at night. On the contrary, on days when you just lounge around the house and watch TV, all that "doing nothing" just makes you feel more lazy and sleepy. Just my experiences.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

congrats on 4 months, that is great. I am still to new to this, but my first thought was if the time of year may also be playing a part. Being dark for so long, the winter, cold... (I do not know where you live) but this time of year I am always tired.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Sober 7 months here....and dang I sleep hard! 10 hours when I can get them.

And I was so worried when I quit drinking I wouldn't be able to sleep w/o the beer!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I have had blood work/talked to dr. and it is all good. I am not unbearably tired, I think sometimes I just thought I would be bursting with energy and I am not. But I am glad that other people experienced some similar fatigue. Change is taxing at the end of the day I guess. But at least I can sleep through the night now. Booze used to wake me up so early....
Old 01-14-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

6 months for me, and I feel like garbage. The doc says I have fatty liver and not to worry about it being cirrhosis, but the reality is I can't stop thinking they missed something.

The scary part about anxiety is it has the same symtoms if cirrhosis (tired, no appetite, mental fog). Some days I'm convinced I'm dying, but I know it's the anxiety.

But what you are going through is what I am going through and it could be mental for you like it is for me. So it may not even really because of drinking, you have have anxiety that has been triggered by quitting and not realise it.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm also 4 months sober from two years of constant heavy drinking....
Especially the first month, I had absolutely no energy. Housework wouldn't get done, daily tasks were hard. I started taking vitamins and forcing myself to clean up, shower, walk the dog... It's been getting easier and easier.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had battled insomnia for the first few months and then it was like turning off a light. I couldn't sleep enough. Sometimes I'd sleep in on a saturday morning and aftter going to bed at midnight or so, i'd sleep till 9-10am...i'd get up get some breakfast then go lay down on the couch and nap for another 3 hours or so...i'd finally get some stuff done but it wasn't abnormal for me to take another nap before bedtime.

I fought a 20 year war with booze. My body was tired, my brain was tired...i slept sooooo much those few next months...then it was back to insomnia for a few more. It ebbs and flows.

I'm almost 2 years sober now and i'm on another sleep tear. Full night of rest, then 2 naps during the day and I'm 100% healthy.

I'm fine with it. For 20+ years i slept like s#it...if i gotta play catch up...cool. no biggie.