Notices

Chemical Dependency Evaluation

Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Chemical Dependency Evaluation

I had a psych evaluation back in November to get on mental health disability (OCD and anxiety being the primary issue, although I had a complete emotional breakdown during the evaluation and almost got myself involuntarily committed), which I passed with flying colors, lol... well, now, since I was honest about my self-medicating and addiction history, I get to have a chemical dependency evaluation. I'm having it done at the treatment center here in my little town, which from what my social worker tells me, is pretty old school in their philosophy. So, there is a possibility that he (it's a one man show) may recommend some kind of treatment, and if I choose to do it locally, it will be 12-Step...
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

If treatment is recommended, are you OBLIGATED to go through with it, or is this a voluntary thing? Is the 12-step local option your ONLY option?

Even with all that out there... this is a good thing, no? Never hurts to have a little more support, I'd think.

((DK))
Old 01-09-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I am obligated to follow through with whatever treatment is recommended, however, my therapist (L.C.S.W.), who I see weekly, could possibly trump that decision if she feels that it would be antagonistic for me. It's an hour commute to go anywhere else. But, you're right, some kind of facilitated group might not necessarily be a bad thing, especially since so little f2f support is available here. And it could be fun...
Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad your exploring local support. ...
and perhaps to get on disability your going to have to go.

I'm not sure as I never tried to get disability.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can only say that whatever 'option' you have to/choose to explore, do it with as open a mind as you can muster. I threw a big fit when I went to rehab last year (all three times) cause I can't stand being told what to do and when and where, and can't stand so much 'structured' time... but in the end, it was worth it. It didn't end up keeping me sober tho, I had to finally want that for myself - glad I finally did!

I hope it turns out well for you, no matter what you decide to do. I know how you feel about 12 step things so just take what you need and leave the rest.

:ghug3 I will keep you in my thoughts.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
And it could be fun...
See, that's the attitude! At the very least it could be fun for me to listen to your stories about it...
Old 01-10-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I'm glad your exploring local support. ...
and perhaps to get on disability your going to have to go.

I'm not sure as I never tried to get disability.
They didn't have any problem accepting me for disability, but I do have to stay active in my mental health treatment to keep it, including chemical dependency if they deem it necessary. But, my therapist has the biggest say in what that treatment consists of, and what is in my best interest, and of course she will take my belief system into consideration. It's also possible that the CD evaluator may not recommend anything in addition to the CBT, medication, and f2f meetings that I'm already doing, unless I express a desire for it. So, ultimately, I think this is gonna be my decision, and I'm trying to figure out what is best for me.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by least View Post
I can only say that whatever 'option' you have to/choose to explore, do it with as open a mind as you can muster. I threw a big fit when I went to rehab last year (all three times) cause I can't stand being told what to do and when and where, and can't stand so much 'structured' time... but in the end, it was worth it. It didn't end up keeping me sober tho, I had to finally want that for myself - glad I finally did!
I went to inpatient treatment in 2001 on my own accord and stayed sober for almost 60 days. Then I was forced to do IOP and aftercare a couple of years later because of a DUI, and relapsed through the whole thing. I've made many attempts at sobriety since, and right now I've been sober longer than I ever have before. Even though my treatment (which was Choice Theory based) didn't keep me sober, I did learn some stuff to use for future trials, and it gave me a pretty good taste of living sober. Now it's a matter of wanting it, puting forth the effort, and using all the resources available to me.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
See, that's the attitude! At the very least it could be fun for me to listen to your stories about it...
They're gonna *love* me...
Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What's not to love?:ghug3
Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

So, ultimately, I think this is gonna be my decision, and I'm trying to figure out what is best for me.
See now you have a great opportunity being put before you. The only decision you really have to make is do as they suggest and keep an open mind. It is not forever, it is only One Day At A Time, TODAY.

You've been given another opportunity to find some peace and serenity which I know you have been looking for, for a long time now Paul, so I say GO FOR IT whatever it turns out to be.

I am glad you are getting help Paul!!!!! I really am.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-11-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I so admire you for having the guts to stick this out. So many people would just be sure that it wouldn't work so they wouldn't even try it.

We're gonna have to have Details on your f2f meetings, if they happen, because I have no doubt you'll be setting them straight!

Oh....and if they love you half as much as we do, I'd say you're a lucky man.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Day 74.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

YAY!!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'm guessing there are no DRA meetings to go to because of the small town deal. Maybe think of starting one if that's feasible. Or incorporate DRA's approach for those that don't accept religious or spiritual beliefs as part of your AA experience.

WTG! day 74
Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Zen, I'm actually suprised there aren't any DRA meetings in Spokane. Davenport sports one AA meeting that gets about 4-6 people (I hear), so no suprise there... Actually, I've been thinking about trying to start a LifeRing meeting in Spokane. I had them sorta going in Wenatchee a couple times and Spokane is much bigger and I'm way more stable in sobriety than I ever was in Wenatchee. I'm pretty sure that some of the folks at the agnostic & atheist AA meeting I go to would be interested. I wonder if the Alano Club would let me host it there...
Old 01-12-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

That evaluation is tomorrow morning...
Old 01-12-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I say go for it. I don't see why the Alano Club would object to a recovery group meeting. After all open mindedness works both ways

I too have thought of starting some sort of secular meeting here in Oxnard. LifeRing would be a good choice.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
That evaluation is tomorrow morning...
Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

((((DK))))
Old 01-13-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I'm totally drained from questionaires, paperwork, etc., which we didn't quite make it through... but it went really well. We got along great and I turned him on to SR, LifeRing & SMART. Also, he's familiar with the Choice Theory philosophy that my prior treatment was based on. I have to schedule another session for next week to finish the paperwork, but I'll probably be going to his aftercare group for a while.