Notices

2 questions

Old 12-24-2008, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 questions

1.) For me this will be the first holiday season (Thanksgiving to New Years Day) that I made it through completely sober since I can remember. Anybody else joining the club this year?

2.) Over Christmas + New Years i usually get a lot of visitors and was debating whether or not I should get beer + liquor for company. I was going to do this today when I go shopping but am having second thoughts about it. Do you guys stock up for company or do you think it's a bad idea?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

1. This will be my 3rd sober holiday season and they have all been awesome!!!!

2. Now this is just me, but I am an alcoholic, my real friends know I am a recovering alcoholic, as a result when they come over they do not expect me to provide them with booze, if they want to drink when they visit me they BYOB and then take what is left with them. Funny thing, but none of my friends bring booze when they visit because they are real friends and not alcoholics unless they are in recovery.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well Taz I havn't really told anyone yet as it hasn't been that long for me. I know that to most people this sounds like a silly problem but I'm actually sitting here debating whether I shouild stock up or not. I'm pretty sure I could avoid the temptation.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

1. I'm with you BTSO. First sober holiday season in 32 years.

I'm not saying it's all great but at least I don't have to worry about if I'm going to sneak a drink or deal with withdrawals this year. Sober holidays, what a noval idea.

2. We are having Christmas at home this year and I don't expect anyone to be drinking but if they do no one in there right mind is going to be expecting me to have any on hand. It's not a problem this year.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

BTSO it may be the perfect time to simply say either "I quit drinking" or "I didn't feel like drinking this year so I didn't even think about buying any." You may learn who your real friends are and who your drinking buddies are. If your friends are not alcoholics they could care less if you have booze in the house or not.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think your right Taz, it won't be the end of the world if they have to drink soda. It will be a new experience as all of my relatives are heavy drinkers. (Catholic)
Old 12-24-2008, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have never heard of any one who is not physically addicted to alcohol suffering any ill effects by not drinking! LOL
Old 12-24-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

This will be my first sober holiday season as well.

I usually go elsewhere for any get togethers, but if I did have company, I wouldn't be comfortable serving alcohol, atleast not where I'm at right now. But, I'd be happy to offer them an O'Douls or a glass of Martinelli's Sparkling Cider.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

1) This will sober holiday season number seven. They have been both good and bad but the only thing missing is the illusion that alcohol made the holidays better. For me, it didn't.

2) I would not stock up on alcohol for other people. It's been over six years since I have walked up to the counter of liquor store or hoisted a case of beer onto the supermarket checkout and today it would feel weird to do it. I want to keep that feeling of weirdness. Of course, this is easy for me to say because I don't really socialize with people who drink these days and my only surviving family member knows all about my alcoholism and would not expect me to stock up for her.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd wait a little while, maybe next year. I don't stock up but I don't get a lot of drinking company. Not so much that it's a function of time, but of step work, at least IMHO.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

my 20th sober Christmas in a row

I never stock up or buy booze for visitors or family
they know I do not drink,if they want booze,they can buy their own.
I do provide plenty of food.I put the money I used to spend on booze for Christmas presents and some extra in the AA basket
Old 12-24-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

1: my first sober holiday season too.

2: I couldn't walk into a liquor store right now without fiending like crazy.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

1.This is my 19th sober holiday season.

2. I have served alcohol in my home on many occasions ( only to people I believe are not alcoholic). I am planning on having a party for work this coming spring, there will be booze there ( I'll be buying it). I just had close friends over tonight for dinner, there was no alcohol because all were in AA. The thing I have to ask myself when I consider alcohol in my home.
A) AM I on solid spiritual ground? ( I consider what the Big Book says about solid
spiritual ground, if I ain't there, then no booze can be near me, if I am there, no
booze can harm me)
if I am on solid spiritual ground ( practicing the 12 steps as a way of life) then nothing can harm me...
Old 12-24-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

1. This is my first holiday season to not drink. I didn't usually spend the holidays DRUNK, but I definitely drank. It's very weird not drinking AT ALL right now.

2. At this point in my sobriety, I don't think I could stock up for company. Maybe years down the road I will be at that point, but not right now. Thankfully the only person I have coming over tomorrow is my dad and he doesn't drink. I'll worry about New Year's Eve next week... I'm kinda worried about that one. Anyway, back to the question... I suppose if friends who drink were to come over and want to drink, I would be ok with it if they brought their own stuff. But I won't be providing the open bar anymore like I used to do.

Best Wishes!!!

p.s. If I WERE to provide the open bar for friends, no way in h3ll could I be the one to go in the liquor store and buy it. Not and stay sober.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We just had our first "totally sober" Christmas in years....even the non-alcoholics didn't drink and the best time was had thanks to Wii and tournaments........where there is a will, there is a way, and if they are not alcoholic....it shouldn't RUIN their holiday :o)
Old 12-26-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I celebrated my 5th sober Christmas. The past two years we have had it at my sister's house. My brother in law has a beer ever so often and I am used to seeing and dealing with that. Last night nobody drank and it was cool!

I do not buy alcohol to serve guests. Heck my husband and I (both in recovery) got married last September and didn't buy alcohol for the reception. In the past, if someone wants to bring their own stuff with them that is fine but they MUST take whatever is left home with them! This has only happened a couple of times as most normal people can take it or leave it.

Hope your holiday went very well and congrats on your First sober Christmas!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 12-26-2008, 09:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

In early recovery its not a good idea. If you have a strong foundation in recovery and you want to drink at my place bring your own. And if you get a little tipsy, and you don’t have an alternate driver your not leaving my place until you sober up.

Personally, all my friends are in recovery so it’s not a situation put my self in.

Ivan
Old 12-27-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

If they're not alcoholics, they shouldn't even notice the lack of booze.

I wouldn't cater to it, personally. Not this early.. (and not ever, but that's just me).
Old 12-28-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

!. I quit drinking this time in April '89

2. I immediately declared my apatment
to be a non drinking zone.
Some people drifted away...my friends honored my request.

I've never changed that policy...nor will I.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This was my 1st christmas not drinking.
And i was aware of sitting in church christmas day, not being sick and trying
to look happy and well.
i remember year's past, sitting in the pew, sick, my head aching and my whole body feeling awful.
This year, i was aware of sitting there not feeling sick. That was a cool moment.

I was at my son's basketball game yesterday, and as i was talking to another dad (at 3pm), i could smell liquor on his breath. he wasn't drunk, and i wouldn't have known except for the smell. i don't know if he's alcoholic or not, but i'm sure glad i wasn't sneaking out for drinks. it's a lot of work staying constantly medicated :-)

happy holidays to you.

Last edited by AcceptingChange; 12-28-2008 at 01:52 PM.