Notices

I need advice

Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need advice

I am getting ready to go into detox, but I feel great aprehension and fear. I have been reading other members' experiences and this only compounds the fear I have of the possibility of dying in the process.

What I want to do before entering the detox clinic, is to use the previous three days reducing my alcohol consumption, hydrating my body as much as possible, taking vitamins and eating nutritious meals. I suffer from panic disorder so I am very anxious about what lies ahead.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Do you think you will be able to reduce your alcohol consumption over 3 days? Also, is it a "medical" detox facility where you are going?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANGELINA243 View Post
Do you think you will be able to reduce your alcohol consumption over 3 days? Also, is it a "medical" detox facility where you are going?

I suspect that I can reduce the quantity. The facility is a medical establishment.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our community

You are being wise to do your de tox in a clinic.
That way you can be both safe and sober.

All the things you mentioned sound positive to me.
Of course you are concerned...Hug

I can tell you this ...for me
my new sober life far exceeds anything I expected.

Keep positive ...you are doing a marvelous thing!
Old 03-21-2008, 01:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

The reason I ask is because I entered a "non-medical" detox facility and knew if i picked up a drink--I wouldn't stop drinking. I couldn't taper off beforehand. My dr. prescribed alcohol withdrawal meds for me to take while there. I too suffer from anxiety/panic attacks. those meds got me through those 2 weeks while there. Some non-medical facilities will have you go to the hospital first before going there--to be checked out>make sure you are not in danger--beore entering the facility.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANGELINA243 View Post
The reason I ask is because I entered a "non-medical" detox facility and knew if i picked up a drink--I wouldn't stop drinking. I couldn't taper off beforehand. My dr. prescribed alcohol withdrawal meds for me to take while there. I too suffer from anxiety/panic attacks. those meds got me through those 2 weeks while there. Some non-medical facilities will have you go to the hospital first before going there--to be checked out>make sure you are not in danger--beore entering the facility.
How did the medication help with the tendency to have panic attacks? That's one of the things that worry me because, if I feel such intense panic attacks without going through detox, I can only imagine what they will be during detox.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

The med my DR prescribed can be used for either alcohol withdrawal or panic attacks. I still take them as needed for panic attacks. Now only really take them once a week. I had to take them daily for the first week--but I have a deep history of severe withdrawal symptoms which my dr. was aware of before I went into treatment. If it is a medical detox facility--they should have a DR there (I would think). You might want to ask them some questions and tell them your situation beforehand. If they don't you may want to see a doctor someplace else first.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The difference between going to a medical clinic
and being alone when you de tox....

The staff there will know exactly what to do
if you need assistance.

That is certainly the wiser choice.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

They will know how to take care of you - they've had to deal with people who are in precisely the same position as you and far worse. Let Go, Let God...you will be taken care of - I echo what Carold said - my sober life far exceeds my wildest dreams! Rehab for me was a HUGE turning point - natural to be scared - go with the flow, you'll be absolutely fine.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

cathy31
x
Old 03-21-2008, 03:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Do a medical detox. They give you medication (librium, often) to reduce the anxiety-inducing symptoms of detoxing and they monitor your blood pressure every couple of hours to make sure you are stabilizing. They also give you vitamins and make sure you eat properly. I did five days in a detox. They tell you when it's safe for you to leave.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

A medical detox is the safest way to detox, that is what I went through.

The second I got checked in they started out giving me vitamins, blood pressure medication, anti-anxiety meds, and anti-siezure meds. I was monitored by the staff around the clock, when ever something changed, like my blood pressure or I started shaking they would contact the doctor there and adjust my medications.

I was in pretty much of a deep mental fog the first 3 days, the fog slowly lifted for months after that, every one is different I saw and felt improvements mentally and physically for over a year.

Trust me when I say if you stay sober and work on your self as a person you will be very happy you sobered up.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As I mentioned in my first post, I spent three days prior to my entry into the clinic preparing myself. I took vitamins, hydrated myself, tried to eat well and, as much as possible, tried set my mind to the task ahead and reduced my alcohol intake. I felt anxious going in. I was immediately given the medication prespcribed by my psychiatrist (who monitored my state daily) I was sedated and my blood pressure was controlled. I slept a lot. I ate well. I walked like Frankenstein and my mind was in a constant fog. I felt absolutely no cravings for alcohol, rather I craved smoking, which I couldn't do during my stay. I left the clinic with some some prescribed meds. My balance is still off but improving. My mental fog has not lifted altogether. But I feel no cravings. It has now been eight days since my last drink. I can't say that I'm feeling ecstatic, but I sure am feeling much better than what I had expected. No shakes, no hallucinations, no DTs. Addiction becomes one's modus vivendi for such a long time that there remains a kind of void in which one experiences some uncertainty facing daily life. I have had the fortune to have very caring people around me during the process. I hope never to relapse.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Congrats! Glad to hear you are doing well. 8 days is great!:ghug2
Old 04-05-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you checked back in with us...
Well done on your progress.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Update:

I have now reached fifteen days without drinking. I still feel no cravings. I take my medication three times a day and sleep soundly (something I hadn't done for years.) I have a psychiatrist monitoring my progress; he told me he was quite surprised that my detox had been so easy. Still, I am quite aware that staying sober from now on will be a permanent challenge. One thing I will surely miss is a good dinner with a couple of glasses of wine. But oh well, the cookie crumbles thus. I will now try to give AA a try, although -to be honest- I feel a bit skeptical about its methods and spiritual premises. We'll see. Wish me luck.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Good to hear!

You’ll get out of AA what you put into AA, and probably more (if you give it your all). And if you really put it all into AA, I bet you won’t miss those glasses of wine with dinner. Those glasses of wine with dinner and in front of the fireplace, etc. are an illusion for an alcoholic. We always wind up under the dinner table or in the fireplace (figuratively speaking) or even worse.

May I suggest posting a thread in the 12 Step section.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good to see you are still planning for a better healthy future.

Think of AA as classrooms for living sober.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congratulations on your sober time! Going to AA could be a big help to you. I've gotten phone numbers of people I can call when I feel desperate/lonely/scared. It's hard to do this when I feel alone, but with the help of my friends in AA and on this site, I'm doing very well now with 15 days sober. Keep coming back here. There are very kind and supportive people here. Strength in numbers, ya know!:ghug3
Old 04-18-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Update:

I have reached my twenty-third day sober. I sleep like I had not slept in years and I am gradually becoming "adapted" to the absence of alcohol in my daily life. As mentioned before, I have not had cravings; still, there is, for lack of a better word, a "void" in my daily routine that is a bit unsettling, namely, the inclusion of drinking through the day mixed into anything else I do. Thank you for your support and advice, I read all posts daily with great pleasure.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)