Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Possibility of Successful relationships with Recovering Alcoholics

Notices

Possibility of Successful relationships with Recovering Alcoholics

Old 05-30-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SS234 View Post
Felt like he basically used me for 1.5 years which was somewhat my fault for allowing it to go on so long.

Why do I still think about him all the time?
Of course it's possible to have a kind, loving and honest relationship with someone in recovery, assuming BOTH parties are in recovery, i.e. Alanon for you. His selfishness and unwillingness to make a committment, and your selfishness in expecting him to do things your way is what kept the relationship going for 1.5 years. You hung in there because you wanted what you wanted and kept making excuses for his refusal to commit. If you ever decide to get involved with another person in recovery, get into recovery yourself, so you won't fall for his crap.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi ...my two cents, you are in the stage of grieving over the end of a relationship (and disappointment that he turned out to be less than you had hoped for). He sounds very much like some of the toxic relationships I went through before finding the right guy. The alcohol is a side issue, if you ask me...he sounds like bad news, alcohol or not. You're thinking about him all the time right now because you are in the stages of getting over a relationship. I finally had enough of such guys...my standard became "If I don't feel good about myself after spending time with him, he is not for me." Don't put up with anyone who makes you miserable (I tell this to my son, as well as my daughter, by the way).
Old 05-30-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joelle View Post
Don't put up with anyone who makes you miserable
We teach people how to treat us. Nobody can make me miserable unless I allow them to. If I expect anything of anyone, I'm setting myself up for a letdown. Expectations are nothing more than premeditated resentments.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What's an OP ?- i'm somewhat new here - probably a stupid question . . . .
Old 05-30-2008, 11:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

original poster = you LOL
D