Notices

I am on Day 6 without ANY alcohol. Again.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up I am on Day 6 without ANY alcohol. Again.

I made it to day 7 last time without drinking and then I caved.

I declined all plans this weekend and stayed at home.

It was weird, because I had random "sprees" where I had motivation, and then the motivation was lost and I had to nap. I would clean the kitchen, do the laundry, but then I would fall over from being so tired.

Did anyone find that in the beginning you slept a lot, and sometimes had that

"what the hell do i do with myself" feeling? Sometimes even watching television isn't enough to satisfy the boredom. (EXCEPT WHEN LOST IS ON! Love that show!)

Also something kind of weird, I haven't been drinking, but I wake up still feeling hungover. What is THAT about? Is this normal? I mean it has been almost a week since I have had anything to drink. Maybe it's just waking up tired, not really hungover.

Things that are still problematic:
-long lasting motivation
-severe boredom
-sleep disturbances - hard to get deep sleep, takes 2 hours to fall asleep (i've read Carol's web site about tips...none of them work for me)

I'm not really experiencing much depression because, well, I'm on a cocktail of anti-depressants and I have been for about a year. I take the generic forms of Celexa and Wellbutrin, and for anxiety I take Klonopin.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you in a recovery program?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I see a therapist weekly about it. (and about my depression) I went to a few AA meetings and I didn't really like it. I think I need to find a group that I fit in with. I didn't fit in.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

chiquen,

does the physician who prescribed klonopin to you know that you are seeking sobriety? it is hard to believe an md would knowingly give a benzo to a recovery alcoholic....
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Wow me too. Good job.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi chiquen, all the things you say in your first post sound like common symptoms of early sobriety. I get tired (sober 6wks this time!) but its getting better. I'm trying to stick to a daily schedule (sort of) in an effort to get some order into my life. Its a slow progress as I'm not an organised person by nature. I've tried to make my schedule take into account of the fact I haven't alot of long term energy right now. One thing I've had to learn - thats acceptance - I have to accept that my energy is limited right now and adapt my day to that. Same with sleep. My sleep is still all over the place. Again, I try to adapt my day so that I can take a rest and catch up on any sleep during it. Its not ideal but it gets me through the day.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When going dry it is extremely important that you make an appointment with your medical doctor ASAP. Then, once at the doctor, be completely honest with him/her. Tell them how much you drank, and how long you have been sober.

Remember, doctors must be confidential so it's not like they are going to broadcast how much you drank. The first step is being honest with yourself.

I suggest you check out a recovery program. I personally am in AA.

Tom
Old 02-18-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate about the enegry swings, My Dr said it was anxiety, depression and basically your body trying to level out. Just be sure to talk to your Dr as others have said, they can give you medication that will help,in the meantime don't drink...:ghug
Old 02-18-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job Chiquen. I am experiencing the same things you are, especially sleep disturbances. I've had to tranquilize and knock myself out to get to sleep the last few days.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

tranquelizing in order to go to sleep may not be the best advice for an alcoholic. When I got sober I couldn't sleep either. I average 2 to 3 hours a night total sleep for about a month. It passed, as does all the problems we face while newly sober, and I am stronger for it. Just hang in there. It all gets better.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I put the plug in the jug all sorts of wonderful things happened. I was all over the place, sleep issues, hot and cold sweats, and my mind raced at a 1000 miles an hour. As hard as I tried I couldn’t keep focused on the here and now and because of the pleasure alcohol initially brought me it was really hard to not take that first drink.

Some of my symptoms were really serious and I needed medical attention but I had to face facts alcohol was causing me more trouble at the present time than anything else.

So one day I made a decision to get off the merry go round and get busy in Alcoholics Anonymous. I got a Big Book to read and a sponsor to call. I started working the steps, attended meetings, and I focused on not drinking 24 hours at a time. Today life is not perfect but it is far better than it ever has been.

I do know one person in Alcoholics Anonymous that is licensed to practice medicine and has his own prescription pad, that person isn’t me.