Notices

anybody else...

Old 02-23-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anybody else...

all alone? seriously, i don't have friends - not close w/ my family. i'm married to a man who's done me wrong, but tells me i am so lucky & he's the best thing ever to me (but, if you knew the things he's done to me... ~ & he just can't understand why i can't get over it ...i really can't) so, how do you recover? just you & yourself all alone?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't have anyone when I sobered up - but then I found SR - I really give thanks for the support I've found here.

Groups like AA are good for meeting new sober people too sweepee?

D
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

You're never alone, unless you want to be.

Like Dee says, SR is a great place - 24/7. I'm in AA, and there is always someone you can talk to there, before and after the meeting. I give and take phone numbers often, and I use them. I make coffee dates with some of the guys and we talk recovery, talk about life, or whatever it is that we need to connect. But even you being here and posting...that's making connections. And we all get it

Old 02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi sweepee,

Sorry to hear of your situation. Is it possible to exit the relationship you are in, sice it has caused you such pain? If so, that would be a good start.
If it is not possible, try to get involved with any and all activities that place you in a social environment (religion, community activism, volunteerism) where you will, at the very least, have contact with other people.

It is hard, but very much worth it. You deserve to be happy!

BH
Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sweepee I'm sorry you feel so alone. Come here often and find support from the people here who really do care and really really do understand. I have heard people say that you need to love yourself first and I suspect that when you do you will only accept that from others as well. I agree with the AA support too. I was so afraid to go the first time and it is such a sense of comfort and kinship for me now.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweepee View Post
all alone? seriously, i don't have friends - not close w/ my family. i'm married to a man who's done me wrong, but tells me i am so lucky & he's the best thing ever to me (but, if you knew the things he's done to me... ~ & he just can't understand why i can't get over it ...i really can't) so, how do you recover? just you & yourself all alone?
Hi Sweepee,

ALL ALONE? Not anymore, you have Sober Recovery and the many experiences of the members here to help you get through the pain you are dealing with.

Hate to say this Sweepee, but when a man tells you " you are so lucky to have him and he is the best thing ever for you" EHHHHHH---NOT SO MUCH!!!

IMOO that is a very manipulative thing to say and is usually said by "very controlling, sometimes abusive men". They want you to feel no one else could possibly care for you--you are lucky to have them. Their job is to make you stay for fear no one else wants you--your self worth is being controlled by HIM. You have "Nobody" because your Husband wants it that way--no support system means he can have full control. It's an really ugly thing he is doing.--IMOO!

If you can it would also be a good idea to seek professional counseling. This is something that may go beyond just having someone to talk to.

In the meantime Sober Recovery are your new friends

Trix
Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I isolated a LOT when I was drinking. Going to a daily AA meeting got me back out into the world again. I met people who understood what I was going through, who had my back and cared what happened to me.

And so far as your relationship with your husband is concerned, no, we don't know what he has "done to you" but it's very difficult to improve our lives as long as we keep drinking.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I could not stay sober on my own. I needed help! I had isolated myself so much that I believed my own BS and needed other sober people to point out when I was out of line. My AA group became my family of choice. I cannot pick my relatives but I can pick my friends.