Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

why do recovering alcoholics drink so much coffee?

Notices

Old 12-12-2007, 05:59 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Well of course you can go the even cheaper route and buy a cheap water bottle, and fill it with tap water. The tap water in my area is pretty decent, and of course safe to drink. I guess it's my alcoholic ego that makes me have to have the nicest bottle, and filter water that really doesent need filtering. Oh well. Either way it is still cheaper than buying bottled water.

I don't really help the landfill much with all the Mountain Dew I drink, so I guess using a water bottle helps balance the damage I'm doing throwing away all the Mountain Dew bottles. But I feel better have a trash can of pop bottles and cans instead of beer bottles and cans.

Tom
Old 12-12-2007, 06:35 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Originally Posted by Signal30 View Post
Well of course you can go the even cheaper route and buy a cheap water bottle, and fill it with tap water. The tap water in my area is pretty decent, and of course safe to drink. I guess it's my alcoholic ego that makes me have to have the nicest bottle, and filter water that really doesent need filtering. Oh well. Either way it is still cheaper than buying bottled water.

I don't really help the landfill much with all the Mountain Dew I drink, so I guess using a water bottle helps balance the damage I'm doing throwing away all the Mountain Dew bottles. But I feel better have a trash can of pop bottles and cans instead of beer bottles and cans.

Tom
In England, the large supermarkets sell water filter jugs and the filters much cheaper than the brand names like Brita. I used to drink tap water when I lived up in Northern England, but in the south it is horrible! You can see the 'scum' floating on the top of the water. Its not bad for you, but it really puts me off drinking it unfiltered!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

my nalgene is my BFF. a gift from a friend, covered in his stickers, it makes me miss him every time i drink out of it. but-i drink eight glasses a day because of it!

it's floating in a sea of dirty dishes right now... must rescue it after work.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

It's the chemistry

If you look at the effect that caffeine has on brain receptors, it is very similar to alcohol in that it increases the "feel good" seratonin. I hate coffee but take energy pills with caffeine. When I first quit drinking and got past the shaking and withdrawals, caffeine kept me from drinking. Yesterday I googled "caffeine overdose addiction" and got several good articles on the chemistry of caffeine. It was very interesting and made perfect sense.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Some of us masturbate a lot as well. But I guess that's a different topic.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:24 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sober Mother

I drink a lot of tea - it's our national drink!
I also love Diet Cherry Coke.

If I don't have a drink on the go, I feel a bit odd and I think it's definitely a 'hangover' from my drinking days when I always had a glass of wine nearby.

I like the acts of picking it up, sipping (or gulping! - I'm not a natural sipper), swallowing it down, feeling it coursing down to my stomach. The warmth of tea or the fizz of Coke. Lovely.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

And the Topic is....

Old 12-14-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Zanthos -

I think it was nolonger that hit it - a good delivery system for the sugar.

When I was drinking - I never touched coffee. Got all the sugar a body could want through the booze and mixers.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:01 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Lol, I just googled this, while I was making a cup of coffee. I might have one cup at the meeting, but I drink more at home when I am reading or watching television.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I was a Coffee Achiever® well before I was an alcoholic.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:15 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I drink one large cup of coffee every morning and then I am done for the day.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Grateful

I'm a coffee binger to some extent. I'll go on a 2 or 3 month period where I'll drink several cups a day and then go several months to a year without drinking any. I got a really nice Keurig single serve coffee maker the Christmas before last and I haven't used it in probably 9 months or so. I seem to be lucky that abruptly stopping caffeine after a prolonged period has no effect on me.

My drink of choice lately has been different variants of cranberry juice over crushed ice.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Heck, I think I had my first cup of coffee at an AA meeting as a teenager 30 some years ago. They also let you smoke back then and a non-smoking meeting was the exception then or they just had a table on one side of the room for NS, like that helped. Rooms were a haze of smoke. Coffee and cigs, mmmmm.

The message was the same though.

I heard that 3 cups of coffee a day was good for you now, some study done recently.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

gotta drink something, right?

I like to drink coffee in my sober times and even when I did drink, but nothing beats a big glass of ice water for me.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I didn't start drinking coffee until I had been sober for several years.

I drink a pot in the morning and that's it for the day.

Then I switch to diet soft drinks and carbonated waters and real water.

And then, of course, diet root beer and cream soda after dinner.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Just weird I remember the first 3-4 months I could drink an absurd amount. It was like it would not effect my brain the way it was supposed to. Really interesting worth looking into. Kind of like adhd drinking coffee and being able to concentrate by overloading the parts too active. That might actually be it since after you quit parts of your brain are like a live exposed wire.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I always felt lIke a weirdo at meetings because I never drank coffee

But like others have mentioned I think it sparks certain areas in our brains, most people like it whether or not they are alcoholic, and it is handed out for free at 12 step meetings. Free stuff always tastes better doesnt it?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Google this for a possible (partial) explanation:

Coffee contains opioid receptor antagonists
Old 01-18-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
I need all the help I can get

I never actually thought about it. Ever since I became sober ive totally fell in love with coffee. 4-5 cups in the morning and maybe even a few cups of decaf at night!!

I also read that coffee is good for your liver too. I hope there is truth to that after the many years of torturing the poor thing.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I think this coffee drinking is a sort of illusion. Most people probably develop tolerance for most coffee effects (and side effects) in as little as 2 days of regular drinking. It then just becomes a habit, the smell and warmth of coffee...