Notices

Almost Didn't Make It

Old 05-14-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost Didn't Make It

My step son asked his brother, my wife and I to give him some time alone tonight with his girlfriend. We agreed to accommodate. I had class from 5:00 - 8:00, the other kid went to New York to see his dad, and my wife went to a funeral of a friend we recently lost to cancer. So, I left class at 8:00 and made my way home without a thought of drinking. The cell phone rings at 8:05 and my step son says, "Hey, can you go to the tavern for an hour?" I hesitate and express I planned on coming straight home. He replies, "Just for half an hour". This was enough to convince me. I pull over telling myself I will only have a beer and then go home. I try calling my wife but get no answer. As I am walking into the tavern the phone rings again and he states, "Don't go, you made too much progress" I turned around and immediately drove home. I managed to avoid that drink but it is apparent I have a long way to go.

I still haven't attended an AA meeting. The local meetings are inconvenient with my work and school schedule. Plus, I am still reluctant to publicly express my alcoholism. It made me realize the value of a sponsor. I have no one else to call at this point and I am easily convinced that a drink will be ok. Its only been a little over a week. Just needed to tell this to someone.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Support is very important. I really think making the time to go to a meeting, get some phone numbers and of course a sponsor can be beneficial for many - but especially if and when you're struggling.

It really will be time well spent H4R.

D
Old 05-14-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job, Hope4! I think some people would call that a bit of "God Shot." For me, it would be a sign from the Universe I don't need to be drinking. Either way, I'm glad you didn't go.

Support is very important, as Dee said. Also, having a plan is important too.

Next time you get a call to meet someone in a slippery place, could you suggest a near-by coffee shop? Some place that doesn't serve alcohol? Might be good to have a back up!

Love,

Lenina
Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that feeling (desire) will last for a long time. Atleast it is for me. I have it all the time. But when the desire is over and I persavered(? spelling) I feel a great sense of accomplishment and am proud of myself. I feel you should let him know that going to the tavern is not an option. Good Job.

It is Friday night, my children are gone for the weekend, I am single and alone. What do you think I want to do? Go to the bar? Right, but I'm not. The feeling of failure tomorrow will be horrible.

This is my first chat, post ever(I don't even know what to call it). It is from the heart and I just want to help. How did I do? Did I help?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I found an AA group that met before I went to work.
There are also some that met at lunch hour.

Hope4!.....glad you remained sober!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

schem9......
Welcome to our recovery community