Notices

Showing Up Drunk For A Meeting.....

Old 04-23-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I don't go to AA anymore but when I did, I remember we were all holding hands at the end to do the prayer thing and this kid in his early 20's stumbled in drunk and passed out on the floor right in the middle of us. No one kicked him out. To ME he slipped and, while still drunk, fumbled his way into an AA meeting. I considered this being lost and looking for help... and being an example of what none of us what. I guess everyone else did, too.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I think most of us have been somewhere drunk and made fools of ourselves .

I know I have .
Old 04-23-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

But I didn't start this thread then.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

It happens at maybe 5% of the meetings I attend, which is just enough to keep me fearful and reminded of what it was like to be drunk and miserable. That said, for some reason it always makes me much more anxious and stressed than I feel I should be.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

You know, this may be a really old thread, but I am thankful this was rekindled. I have wondered about this myself, because I am gearing up to go to my first meeting with a friend who has been asking me to go. I thought I wanted to sober up first (which I am trying to do), but if I can go with a few drinks in me, all the better. Because I need to go. Thanks for the responses. I know that I can never drink again once I stop. And I need to.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

If we stop and think about it not many places want a drunk around starting with the hospitals, police, bars, drunks families, friends etc. The only place they are accepted if not unruly is at AA.

BE WELL
Old 10-08-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Each group is attonymous and each group can set their own precident for dealing with wet drunks.. The traditions say that our common welfare comes first, closely followed by our personal recovers.. We all have opinions on what the right course of action should be.. But not at the expense of any individual group conscious... If the group doesn't have a collective precedence on how wet drunks should be handled, then what that means is they should get one.. No outsider can judge.. Not even a home group member can judge if the group hasn't made a vote.. So, first things first.. Get a group conscious..
On a related note; when AA first started having meetings, (usually in people's homes), the term "sponsorship" started. So what that meant was that before a drunk was allowed to go to a meeting, they were taken through the steps by a group member.. Today this is not the practice.. Just anyone can show up at a meeting.. If the original tradition of sponsorship was still practiced today, we would not have as many problems at meetings.. That being said, it's just not the case today.. In my home group for example, service positions are not given to just anyone because they have 6 months sober.. The requirements to obtain a service position in our group is that you have gone through all twelve steps in the big book and that you are actively taking others through the steps.. This may seem like a hard position to take.. But we have a very healthy and thriving group.. Our leaders really are trusted because they have a program.. Personally I'm more inclined to trust a treasurer or secretary or even a coffee maker that has gone through the steps as oppose to someone that just hides behind time sober and that doesn't work steps with anyone.. This precident really does keep our common welfare first.. That's just my two cents..
Old 10-08-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Grateful

Personally I'm more inclined to trust a treasurer or secretary or even a coffee maker that has gone through the steps as oppose to someone that just hides behind time sober and that doesn't work steps with anyone.
[sarcasm] Didn't you know that a "spiritual awakening" is the key to making a great cup of coffee? [/sarcasm]

I found my first sponsor at 2 weeks sober by sticking around after the meeting and "being allowed" to put away chairs and clean the coffee maker. Thank goodness they were willing to "risk" putting that coffee maker in my hands.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
The disruption created by one drunk in an AA meeting pales in comparison to the disruption created by a sober person whining about their sick hamster.

I'll take the drunk anytime.
Hahaha. Yes. Or the hoo haa that some people can make about whether this or that teapot is used for making the tea.

I've only ever seen one very drunk person in a meeting. He was crying outside when some AAers went for a ciggie in the break so they brought him in. I was glad to see he was treated with compassion and respect, but I suppose that I can see the fear that some folk who've liked a more protected life might feel when someone who could behave unpredictably comes into a place they'd considered 'safe' before - and fear, as we know, doesn't usually enhance our spirit or behaviour.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:37 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Richieblue

D
Old 12-04-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Well it was the first time I personally experienced it. I was at a noon AA meeting today. A guy walks in a few minutes late and sits down next to me. He reeked of alcohol. Based on my own experiences from my past I think he was still full of alcohol from last night. He was quiet and did not disrupt the meeting in any way. I felt sorry for him.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Well it was the first time I personally experienced it. I was at a noon AA meeting today. A guy walks in a few minutes late and sits down next to me. He reeked of alcohol. Based on my own experiences from my past I think he was still full of alcohol from last night. He was quiet and did not disrupt the meeting in any way. I felt sorry for him.
I was walking down the parking lot to a meeting today, and got a strong smell of alcohol, so somebody had been drinking. Don't know who it was but was glad that person made it to a meeting. John
Old 12-04-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
~sb

Did you talk with him after the meeting?
Old 12-04-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Did you talk with him after the meeting?
Good point.

When God puts a newcomer right beside me I have to ask myself "why?" Could it be that I am meant to try and help him. Could it be an opportunity for me to enjoy the real beneifts of this way of life. To quote old Dr Paul, nothing happens in God's universe by mistake.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
I am curious as to what your groups do if someone shows up intoxicated?
Usually they are not called on to share and if they just butt in to share they are cut off by the leader. But, they are always welcome to attend.

MB
Old 12-04-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Where else would expect to find a drunk?

As long as they are not being disruptive I make them feel as welcome as possible
Old 12-04-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Rob B;1368156]Thanks for the post Tiburon,
Personally I love to see active drunks at meetings, great place for them to be in. We have a guy in my home group who can't or won't stay sober, I don't know why, every Friday night he wil go up and get a chip, sometimes, it's a 1 month, sometimes 9, it really depends on his mood I guess, A few weeks ago, he got up and got an 11 month chip, fell over at the podium, got back up, and yells "This program really works!" Good stuff!
The only difference between us is that I had a defense against the 1st drink, the wet ones remind me of what I once was, and could easily be again, if I rest on my laurels. As far as getting up while the women who seems to be the "judge" of the club speaks, why bother? Why stoop to petty bullsh#t? People in meetings irritate me all the time, I pray and talk to another drunk about it afterwards, if I'm really disturbed I'll write 4 column inventory, pain in the butt, but it always set me free. Good Post, thanks for the reminder.[/QUOTE

That's pretty darn classic!!!

KIR
Old 12-04-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

While reading this thread, I was reminded of an old fella in Charleston, SC who used to come in almost every night smelling of alcohol. He never made sound, always sat in the back with a cup of coffee and usually ended up falling asleep during the meeting. This was in 1984. The last I heard in about 2005 he had almost 20 years sober. We just never know. One of the most profound experiences I had was talking to a drunk before a meeting one night, smelling that smell, trying to understand his slurred speech and remembering I could just as easily be him if I let up on my spiritual program and stopped seeking the will of my Higher Power. God puts people in my path for a reason. As long as I don't cop an attitude, I learn something.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Keepnitreal;5674783]
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post

A few weeks ago, he got up and got an 11 month chip,
I haven't seen one of those.
Mountainman
Old 12-04-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Another vote for as long as they aren't disruptive it`s all good.

Unfortunately, half the time they insist on sharing and that`s when problems start.