Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Depression and mild anxiety AFTER quitting drinking

Notices

Depression and mild anxiety AFTER quitting drinking

Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Brandonlee
I noticed with some concern that the people you called didn't get back to you. May I suggest you contact a doctor? It's really important you reach out to someone you trust.
Depression isn't funny but there are some excellent ways of treating it. At least your doc would be a positive start to helping yourself. I know that often when you're depressed, you don't see the forest for the trees, but you need to take the first step to get out of the woods.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I know this is an old post, but I found it very helpful for me.

I'm at day 83 and the depression and panic attacks are unbearable. Started on an ssri 4 days ago and can't wait for it to kick in.
I don't think depression was an issue for me prior to drinking, but towards the end of my 25 year career I was drinking 15 beers/night, definately depressed and suffered a major panic attack while drinking my last beer 83 days ago.

I just hope the ssri will end my depression and panic attacks so that I can move forward with living my life!

I'm pretty sure that this is Paws, but I've decided I need some help.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Absolutely! It's very common. It takes many months to detox. And the shift from daily drinking to sobriety was scary ... I didn't feel comfortable in my new skin for months. I didn't know who I was. But it stabilizes the longer you stay sober, you feel more grounded and the emotions level out.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

maintainin....

You just described me to a 'T'. Before almost taking out my liver for good, I had actually 'calmed down' quite a bit on my drinking. It had been years since I had any blackouts. I had given up hard liquor for beer. Most days I wouldn't drink until the evening, and then I'd 'just have' 4 or 5. Of course, I'd drink all day on the weekends, but I had earned that. And of course I'd get ****-faced whenever life threw me a curve-ball, but everyone does that, right? (haha... my sick mind!)

Regardless, even as the actual quantity of alcohol consumed had decreased, my problems increased. Sadly, I never related the two. Sometimes we're so focused on looking for the problems that alcohol might cause in our life, that we fail to understand that the dynamics are reversed. What we should be focused on is what is wrong in our life that causes us to turn to alcohol.

If you're like me, you have two sources of depression in your life right now. One is the physiological... your mind has adapted & changed due to abuse, and needs some time to heal. The second is emotional... you've been avoiding dealing with your issues up 'till now, and now you have no bottle to hide behind.

If you had asked me back in my hard-partying days if I was depressed, I would have laughed in your face. I didn't have a care in the world. I see now that I had fooled myself the entire time. I had plenty of cares. I just chose to put them away in a dark corner where they wouldn't bother me anymore.

So long as you don't have other outstanding mental health issues, the clinical depression will lift. And if you give yourself a chance, you'll find you become capable of experiencing the kind of joy you may not have felt since childhood. Any depression that's left is there for a reason: it's to tell you there's something in your life that needs to be fixed.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi this is my 1st post! Reading this thread has given me a lift. I quit alcohol (regular binge drinker) 16 days ago and the depression kicked in about 5 days after. It seems to be getting a real grip of me and becoming more intense as time goes by. I would not say it is unbearable; It's tough but I know why it is happening, it is just a case of living with it while my brain chemistry adapts itself.
Other than this thread (which has been a big comfort) I have done some other reading around and it seems that the depression is caused because of a depletion in dopamine receptors in the brain due to sustained alcohol abuse. It takes time for the brain to heal and for these receptors to return. In the mean-time a sense of hopelessness, lack of motivation and low mood are typical.
Personally I am not a fan of AD's. I took them once before and found they cut me off from my emotions so I am hoping that i can manage it from day to day and keep the faith that it will lift in the coming months.
Good luck to the thread starter and everyone who is experiencing depression as a result of quitting the drink. I have faith it will get easier and happiness will return.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR zenowl

D
Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
instant

My moods, sleep, energy etc were all over the place for months when I stopped drinking. It helped to see it as the start of a new adventure. The daily practice of gratitude started to train me on the positive not the negative. It is really helping me.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maintainin View Post
Hi all, new poster here. Anybody who whas quit drinking, did you experience depression and anxiety in the months after you quit? I used to drink everyday. Not a huge amount, maybe 4-5 beers, enough to give me a nice little buzz for as long as I can remember. I'd also usually get pretty hammered on a Friday or Saturday night. I stopped a couple months ago and I must say I've been depressed and had some mild anxiety ever since. Feelings of hopelessness about the future, no motivation, some anxiety about stuff that never bothered me before. I dont crave a drink, but I'm just down in the dumps. I've never suffered depression before this and I must say it sucks. I've been to the doctor for it and he prescribed me some Lexapro but I have yet to take it because I keep on hoping this will go away and am scared to death of AD medication.

Anybody else experienced this and how long did it take you to get better? I'm assuming its the quitting drinking thats causing it. I never felt depressed when I drank and I never felt the need to drink because I was depressed, but maybe subconciously I was and the drinking masked that? I dont know, I'm just confused and down right now. I take great care of myself. Work out, take vitamins, eat reasonably well. Any insight would be appreciated.
What you are going through is normal.

" going to meetings helped me with these side affects "
Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR zenowl! Glad you are here!

(this post began in 2007, maintainin had 10 posts that year, the last one being on 8-27-2007)

The topic is still relevant. zenowl, in really simple terms, what goes up, must come down, then it all evens out in time. Most of us didn't get here overnight, so it will take time for our receptors to become "normal" again! (basically the same thing you wrote, zenowl!)
Old 04-09-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks sugarbear & dee.

I have to say that after coming back from a meeting tonight, that what spawn said above is so true. Meetings really help with the depression.
The simple act of listening and empathising and connecting seems to make my depression vanish.
There is no doubt something in the scientific explanation but i am beginning to see how the solution is spiritual.
Feel a definite sense of gratitude right now.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
~sb

I need to add that reaching out to help someone with less time than you is also something that will get you out of your own head and help you and not just the other person. So please say hello to all newcomers at a meeting! Make them feel welcome!

Use that telephone to reach out and ask how other people are doing. It's kind of 12 step work. Just because we are already in the program doesn't mean we don't need others to care about us. It will also help one's own depression. It helped me get out of my own way!

Help others in general in the public. Grocery store, mall, wherever you are. It makes your day and theirs so much brighter! Even over the phone when making a work-related call or personal business call, that is a real human on the other side.... I try to put a smile on other people's face all of the time!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soidog View Post
I can relate to some (though not all) of these patterns. I used to drink a lot out of boredom. The alcoholic buzz was enough to stimulate me in that sense. After doing it for years, that buzz became a serious dependency. The rest is a story you all know.

I have heard/read of similar types of people who are just hard wired to "need" greater or more stimulus than others. In some cases, that can be easily achieved through drugs or alcohol. I'm not a neurologist or shrink, so I don't know what the science is, but I have often considered myself to have those sorts of pre-dispositions.

In recovery, I think the challenge becomes finding other forms of stimulus to occupy our time and interest. Like you, I also find refuge in regular exercise, which is a great, positive way to spend one's time.

Related to the OP's original question...I also think that depression is a common experience after quitting. I know it was for me. I think this has to do with the initial disorientation after quitting, the challenge of basically having to adjust back into society, coping with your new found "independence" (from the bottle that is), and related things. For me at least, I know a big part of why I also drank was to remove myself from having to be around other people. I think a lot of us have to work on the social piece quite a bit as a big initial part of early recovery.

For me, the key to recovery is keeping in mind that its not just about non-drinking. It's about living.
This was awesome to hear, thanks you two. I have the same issue with boredom and is, I think, a major part of my dependency on Alcohol. Instead of TV, it's video games. I love to get off work, stop by the LQ and get a 12 pack and just sit and play video games, drink and smoke. When I do that I don't think about the day or really anything but the game. So, I think finding other forms of stimulus is the key. For me, I think staying outside of the apartment after work maybe at the gym or fishing or maybe joining a softball league, just something so I don't even have an opportunity to get bored at home.

OP - Yes, I know how you are feeling, I feel the same way. I never drank at all for some years before my early to mid twenties and I seem to remember being much more excited about everyday things and the future, then I started drinking and now at 30, got to the point of drinking just about everyday, I'm trying to quit hoping I can get my old self back. I think what you eat has a lot to do with feeling good, eat as naturally as you can, vitamins, get to the gym, run and no smoking, don't read into the bad news of the day too much, and just do what makes you happy (not the drink though).
Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Being sober put me more in touch with my feelings & emotions...one of which was depression. I did take a AD for the first 3 months of being sober, then my health insurance ran out & chalked that up to being a sign to get off them. I still get down at times, too often it seems. But then I realize I am getting depressed by what I am allowing myself to react to....One day at a Time is all well & good BUT it sure takes time & effort to learn how to do this. I keep working on living in the moment and "thy will not mine be done"...I keep going to meetings because it is there I find serenity & guidance to living life on life's terms.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread - this is the first time i have ever entered a chat room - i stopped drinking about 7 weeks ago and was admitted to a psychiatric hospital 4 days ago - i am out after a 72hr observation period for depression/anxiety and depersonalisation - i have just had the worse days of my life and it didn't even cross my mind it could have had anything to do with alcohol withdrawl. I have suffered major depression for most of my life and been on ADs for years - i was off them about a year when i decided to quit drinking because my ALT was up (routine middle aged screen) and i was worried re my liver (that's right- not that i was drunk every night and i have lost everyone i have cared for through drink - that's a different story). Anyway i had a massive depressive/anxiety laden episode starting about 2 weeks ago - lots of potential life stressors of course as there always will be but i did not think of the fact i have just stopped drinking a few months (almost ) ago. My ex girlfriend (lost because of drink of course) was driving me home from the Psych clinic and asked if i thought it was something to do with alcohol withdrawl- i said no no that's all DTs etc and would be over by now!! i am clear of alcohol now!! no worries!! I saw my GP this AM - (i was/am suicidal - have not slept for 52 hrs- I am "depersonalised" which is something i have only ever experienced as a child and could well be the worse experience i have ever had) - and she also mentioned this possibility - go i googled alcohol withdrawl and depression and found you guys. Sorry if this is a rant i am a bit manic at present (i am not bipolar but the cocktail i am on has put me into a seratonergic sydrome state and i am going as fast as a rocket) - i just wanted to say thanks - thanks a zillion - i think this may have saved my bacon - i now think i understand why my "stable life" which i thought should have been getting better after the drinking stopped seems to be spiralling down the tubules- i think now i have a chance becuase I have an idea of why it's happening (knowledge/power etc) okay i have a new wind now- i have direction - i can't believe the decades of drinking are still screwing with my life but i am not going to let it take me under. No way. Okay ranting again- sorry and thanks again :-)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome

May I suggest starting a new thread so that folks don't miss you.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maintainin View Post
Hi all, new poster here. Anybody who whas quit drinking, did you experience depression and anxiety in the months after you quit? I used to drink everyday. Not a huge amount, maybe 4-5 beers, enough to give me a nice little buzz for as long as I can remember. I'd also usually get pretty hammered on a Friday or Saturday night. I stopped a couple months ago and I must say I've been depressed and had some mild anxiety ever since. Feelings of hopelessness about the future, no motivation, some anxiety about stuff that never bothered me before. I dont crave a drink, but I'm just down in the dumps. I've never suffered depression before this and I must say it sucks. I've been to the doctor for it and he prescribed me some Lexapro but I have yet to take it because I keep on hoping this will go away and am scared to death of AD medication.

Anybody else experienced this and how long did it take you to get better? I'm assuming its the quitting drinking thats causing it. I never felt depressed when I drank and I never felt the need to drink because I was depressed, but maybe subconciously I was and the drinking masked that? I dont know, I'm just confused and down right now. I take great care of myself. Work out, take vitamins, eat reasonably well. Any insight would be appreciated.
I am kinda going through this right now because I fell off a bit ago. Going to the gym and working out hard really helps me when I get really down, but its always going to be a little bit difficult
Old 04-02-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I had really bad mood swings up until a week ago. The Dr put me on Citalopram and Depakote and it has made a WORLD of difference.

I mean a complete night and day difference.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I went on antidepressants for the first time in my life at 9 months sober. It was 18 months before I could fall asleep easily at night and the worst of the anxiety settled down.

Today, I take nothing (unless required), drink a lot less caffeine, meditate semi-regularly and practice a Spiritual Program of Recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous. 4 years sober and I sleep like a baby. This too shall pass!

P
Old 05-11-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

When I read this thread I thought to myself "wow that's my story too" I recently gave up drinking and smoking weed after a 4-5 year period of almost daily using. The anxiety isn't as bad as it was the first 2 weeks, but I still find myself overly worrying about the most random things. (especially in the morning) I was prescribed Zoloft and have been taking it now for 3 days, but I know it takes a couple weeks to kick in. In the time being the best thing that works for me to get out of my own head is exercise! I can not stress that enough, also some supplements that also help with the anxiety/depression are Magnesium, Vitamin C, B-12 Complex and some stuff called 'Alive men's 50+ ultra potency" which you can find at Wal-Mart for around 8 bucks. I have absolute no desire to start drinking, in fact the thought alone makes me gag. Just keep your head up and know things will get better. Time heals all!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Totally Normal! It will get better. Been there done that; felt great/normal and balanced around month 3. Right now on day 17 I'm still an anxiety ridden zombie to an extent, but getting better... Your mileage will of course vary... If you haven't the PAWS link on the first page is verrrry good. Good Luck and stick around (Luck is the residue of Design and I like the Design of SR).