Notices

Early signs of liver damage?

Old 11-30-2006, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Early signs of liver damage?

Hello

Thanks to all who responded to my "First Post" yesterday. I'm curious as to whether there are any definite physical signs that your liver has been damaged. I look up liver damage on websites and many of them say there may be no signs at all, which scares me as I think/hope that this would add another wakeup call to quit this madness. Anyone have any experience?

I seem to be most positive about quitiing in the morning. Then I pump myself up knowing I am going to do it, but as the day progresses I decide it can wait a bit. Last evening it was because my son is home on R&R from Iraq, and I felt I didn't really want to interrupt my normal pleasurable routine til he goes back so I would be in good spirits while he's home. He leaves tommorrow. Pretty sad eh.....am I really thinking of him or me here? I suppose tommorrow night it will be because I don't want to have anything else on my mind the day he leaves.....etc.,etc.,etc.

Damn.....I'm sick of this!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

an upfront and honest doctor's visit would be able to answer your question?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only a doctor can order the test to give you an exact answer. The good news is most people that post here that have had the tests done report that things get back to normal soon after the drinking stops.

There is always an excuse to drink, dont I know it! Sooner or later you will get sick and tired of being sick and tired. I can understand your not wanting to rock the boat while your son is home (Theres a good reason to stop right there, being the proud parent of one of our finest!).

Stick around and keep reading here, you will learn a lot. I know I have, and now I understand myself, my problem, and why I need to quit.

Best!
Steve
Old 11-30-2006, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Ozark I drank for 40 years before I finally hit my bottom, I had fatty liver which thank God is reversable by not drinking, but fatty liver will eventually lead to cirrossis of the liver which is irreversable.

My liver had been enlarged for years and tender to pressure for over 25 years, for the last 10 years of my drinking I had a noticeable "Beer Gut"! Funny thing, I quit drinking, the beer gut has turned into a tiny pooch and my liver is no longer tender in less then 3 months.

Ozark there have been an awful lot of alcoholics that have managed to come up with enough excuses to hold off on quitting to wind up in an early grave.

If you are sick of it then you need to stop coming up with excuses and do something about it, every time you drink all it does it make your disease stronger and the will to quit before something catastrophic happens even weaker, you see the problem, but you have not accepted the fact that it could ruin the life you know now and kill you.

I swear to you that if you quit every day will be better then the day before, you will be happier then you have been in years and when you look in the mirror you will see someone you like which makes it a lot easier for other people to like you.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As said...a simple blood test will answer your concerns.

I think what happens to your brain is more disturbing.
Brain..check this out

http://www.alcohol-drug.com/neuropsych.htm

I will add you and your brave son to my prayers
Old 12-15-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ozark: "am I thinking about him here, or myself?"

Hey man, I hear where you're coming from. Reading your post was like reading my own diary. I think i'm at the same point in acknowledging there's something wrong as you are. I hope things turn out well for us both...
Old 12-15-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

fuzzylogic...
Welcome to SR and our Alcholism Forum

Glad to see a new member
How can we help you?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

go to a clinic and get a blood test done, your doctor can even recommend a place and tell them what to test for...but it can take a real bashing as taz is proof of!

Carol touched on a good point in that we seem to be quite misinformed about the ill effects of alcohol on our bodies and there are a multitude of ailments that will kill you before your liver packs up!

Good news is that it is the only organ that regenerates so as taz says better get quitting as planned, good luck:-)
Old 12-16-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Man, I could find a reason to drink on any given day at any given time. It's a tough cycle...
"I don't want to do this tomorrow" at night
"I don't want to do that again today" in the morning
And then drinking anyway

Day after day after day... Don't let it eat at you too much. Just find a way to end the cycle. I kind of pick on myself using the word "resolve". Like, "c'mon man, don't you have the resolve to skip drinking for one day!!" Kind of like challenging myself to be the man I want to be, not the man whose life revolves around the next beer. Do whatever it takes to just not drink today, and see how you feel tomorrow. You'll be amazed at the good spirits you will be in when you can say, "I didn't drink today and I feel good"
Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Unhappy Concerned about liver but I just quit

I'm sure the test results won't be good so I'm going to detox myself before I see the doc. Tazman53? How often did you drink? Was it everyday for 40 years or off and on? On an average over the time how much did you drink?

I've had bumps come up on me while the time I was drinking and I thought it was bedsheets but now I know I was stressing out my li8ver and toxins were most likely building up in my skin. I'm so pissed at myself for not seeing the damage I've been doing to myself. Thank goodness my eyes aren't yellow and jaundice. Crap!

I've been drinking everyday last 6 years from 6 to 12 hefeweizens a day. I stopped for 3 months once but went to a UFC event and the drinking started all over again. I'm quitting for sure this time and never touching the crap again or I'll die.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

masahiko....welcome to SR...

The only way you will get a definite answer to your
health concerns is from your doctor.

Please have an honest discussion with a professional
before you try a de tox alone. That's a medical
issue and can be dangerous.

Do call for a check with your doctor...
be smart...safe and sober.

Let us know how you are doing...
Old 01-29-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well it's day #5 and it hasn't been hard to quit seeing how badly the disease treats the liver. Just a little sweating and anxiousness but I already feel 3x better.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry...I misread your post...
I thought you were just beginning your de tox.

However ...only a doctor can do the tests
for whatever damage you did do by drinking.

Best of luck...I'm glad you have quit.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

As everyone said, please go to your doctor and be honest about your drinking history.

Alcohol affects more than just the liver.......also the heart, esophagus, kidneys, brain, pancreas.....to name a few.

Again, please see a doctor.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know that basically the physical symptoms for early liver damage are none, sometimes nausea but since that can come from so many things....My doctor told me that once you get jaundiced and all those other things people typically associate with liver damage that those are much later stages and that is not good. So you need to have a blood test. That is why when you take certain medicines metabolized in the liver you have to have blood tests monthly because there are no physical symptoms of liver damage. However, I think while my doctor was explaining all this to me that the upside was that early liver damage is reversible as someone else said above, the liver can heal itself, basically you don't want to get to a point where you are having physical symptoms of liver damage— that is where it is more dangerous because you are past the point of no return. But I am certainly not a doctor nor a substitute for a doctor and a liver blood test is quick and easy and a far better option than playing Russian roulette with your body.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

dont even need to go to the doctor just go for a blood lab and they will do the test and send the results where you want:-)
Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hope it's ok for me to post here, I usually post in the friends and family forum, sometimes I browse here though. I wanted to share something with you though regarding this thread.

My brother is in hospital at the moment, this is his second time for alcohol related symptoms, the last time was September last year.

First time was for jaundice, hepatitis and kidney infection, fluid in his stomach (other stuff too that I can't remember) his liver was fine then. He and we asked and were told it was surprisingly good.

Monday he went to see his GP, who sent him straight to the accident and emergency of the local hospital. He has jaundice, hepatitis, kidney infection, fluid and infection in his stomach and has also been told he needs a liver transplant.

That's less than six months, his liver was fine, now he needs a new one to live.
He said he'd cut down his drinking, but it obviously wasn't enough.

I guess I just want to say I wish you all well, and please listen to your bodies if you can.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes Lucy...
you are welcome to use our Alcoholism Forum anytime.

Praers going out for your brother and all concerned
during this sad time.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Damn, here's an update guys. I'm still drinking. Can't beleive I posted that in early 2009. How's everyone else been doing so far. =\
Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If you've looked at liver damage symptoms, then you might have seen a picture that shows exactly where the liver is located. Take a look at everything else in the same general area.

There is SOOOO much in that area and all can give relatively the same type of symptoms, with the possible exception of the kidneys, which are lower and somewhat to the posterior.

The point I'm trying to make is that you need to get definitively diagnosed by a qualified diagnostician. That being a doctor. Even the doctor will require tests to be done, regardless of how excellent a discription of the symptoms is given. Get your tush into a doctor !! Even if we were doctors, which we're not, we don't have labs and MRIs