Notices

Step 3 and Islam

Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step 3 and Islam

In my continuing journey of a concept of God i am now reading the Quran. To my surprise it is an excellent read, the English, not the Arabic version :-)

I have never had a problem with accepting that spiritual connection to my inner self, but am at odds with the AA concept of a higher power not being with your self. I have read much on Buddhism and this concept, how it relates to the 12 steps, there is some interesting stuff out there. I have also read the Gnostic gospels, which are highly recommended for those of a belief of the inner concept of God.

Being brought up a strict Christian and leaving it at a young adult age, i have always viewed other holy books as almost untouchable. Over xmas i thought what the hell! and ordered the Quran from Amazon.

There is alot in there about submitting to God, perhaps even more so than the bible. It speaks of God being evrywhere, "from the east to the west", it also says that anyone who does good acts is righteous is God's eyes. Those good acts in reference those that need it.

I have got alot from reading some of the books in the Quran and wondered if anyone else has read it? Or even whether anyone has converted to become a Muslim, as i know there are many that turn to religion through the AA.

Paul
Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Inner concept of God:

"Actually we were fooling ourselves, for deep down in every man, woman and child, is the fundamental idea of God."

"We found the Great Reality deep down within us. In the last analysis it is only there that He may be found. It was so with us."

Alcoholics Anonymous pp.55

Over and over - the book tells me that this "higher power" is found within...

I know I was told to look within and there my answer would be found. I cannot tie back AA stating that a higher power is not found within oneself.

I know plenty of Buddhists who I think of as solid AA's = no trouble relying on a power greater than themselves, and even refer to this power as God. Some have books, mp3's available. If you are interested, PM me or just google buddhism and 12 steps.

Big Book references taken from 1st edition.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I was raised christian and sort of abandoned organized religion as I grew older. I went back to the bible in recovery more out of curiosity. I was looking for my HP and I thought I would start my search with something I was already familiar.

I didn't get much out of the bible itself. But I learned that the search is just as important.

I've thought of checking out other texts, again mostly out of curiosity. But haven't yet taken the time.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have found the spiritual principles in AA's 12 steps and 12 traditons to be universal and therefore, present in every world religion and path to God. I became a practicing Hindu 11 years ago, and had no trouble with AA, once i opened my mind instead of closing it. I find in the Bhaghavad Gita (like the cristian Bible) a pure and concentrated form of the wisdom under AA's spirituality. Others find the same thing in the Bible, the Quran, the space between breaths, and in praising God in innumerable ways. The intention of prayer is the same, no matter the language spoken.
The intention, or primary purpose of AA is to stay sober and help others to achieve sobriety. I need to keep that clear.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy New Year Miss C, that was really beautiful.

Didgi (you don't mind if I call you "Didgi" do you? ) I found loads of parallels between the G*d of the Oxford Group / AA and the G*d of Islam - and I wasn't as diligent as you, I just read a book about Islam, not the source material.

Ultimately my belief is that what AA does is the same as what any great spiritual tradition does - is to invite us to have spiritual experience through spiritual practice. My experience of Higher Power came about as a result of undertaking the spiritual practices described in the fellowship. They don't tell me that "then you'll have all this sussed out and you'll be enlightened and will have understanding" - they tell me that if I am willing and I work, then slowly, more is revealed to me. And that has been the case.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Digderido, The God of Islam is the same God spoken of in the Bible and the Torah, it is the God of Abraham.

I encourage you as I was encouraged to do and I encourage all my sponsees to do, read the BB as a whole through page 164, set aside ALL preconcieved ideas of a God, set aside all prejudices of all faiths, start with a clean slate and seek, honestly seek out a power greater then your self, as others have said and is pointed out within the BB numerous times along with many religous text, one will find thier HP from within.

Perhaps that power you find greater then your self will fall in line with a certain religions definition of thier diety, perhaps it won't, it does not matter, it is the spiritual side of it that matters, it needs no real name or definition.

Many a person has died from alcoholism seeking a HP in the writing of other people and in religous text trying to make sure they have "The right one"!

Why seek outside of yourself what is already within yourself?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And can I just add something? Spiritual practice for this alcoholic may or may not have been a "path to G*d" as per Miss C above. But it was definitely a path back to humanity.