Notices

Some recent AA Statistics

Old 03-08-2005, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some recent AA Statistics

This information is primarily from the A. A. World Services pamphlet
#P-48

Alcoholics anonymous can be found all over the world - in more than 97,000 groups. Look for A. A. or Alcoholics Anonymous in your local phone book.

In 2001, more than 7500 A. A. members (out of several million) participated in a random survey of the membership.

The following graphs and charts are based on that information.

Ages of Members
Gender of Members

Under age 21 2%
Age 21 through 30 9%
Age 31 through 40 24%
Age 41 through 50 31%
Age 51 through 60 20%
Age 61 through 70 10%
Over 70 4% Women 33%

Men 67%

Marital Status of Members Composition of Membership
Married 37%
Single 31%
Divorced 24%
Widowed 5%
Separated 3%
White 88%
Black 5%
Hispanic 4%
Native American 2%
Asian & Other 1%
Introduction to A. A. Members' Occupations
Factors most responsible (two responses permitted)
Self Motivated 33%
Through an A. A. member 32%
Treatment Facility 32%
Family 23%
Court Order 12%
Counseling Agency 8%
Health Care provider 7%
Employer or fellow worker 4%
Non-AA friend or neighbor 4%
A. A. Literature 2%
Al-Anon or Alateen Member 2%
Correctional facility 2%
Print media or radio/TV 1%
Member of clergy 1%
Other 4%
Professional/Technical 13%
Self Employed/Other 13%
Retired 13%
Manager/Administrator 10%
Laborer 7%
Health Professional 6%
Sales Worker 5%
Service worker 4%
Craft Worker 4%
Educator 3%
Clerical Worker 3%
Student 3%
Homemaker 2%
Transportation (equip oper.) 2%
Disabled (not working) 5%
Unemployed 7%

Length of Sobriety Sponsorship & Groups
Sober more than 5 years 48%
Sober between 1-5 years 22%
Sober less than 1 year 30%
Average sobriety of members is more than seven years
Members with a sponsor 77%
Got a sponsor within 90 days 71%
Members belonging to a home group 88%

Additional Help....Before Additional Help....After
Before coming to A. A., 61% of the members received some type of treatment or counseling, such as medical, psychological. spiritual, etc. 74% of those members who received treatment or counseling said it played an important part in directing them to A. A. After coming to A. A., 64% of the members received some type of treatment or counseling such as medical, psychological, spiritual, etc. 85% of those members who received treatment or counseling said it played an important part in their recovery from alcoholism

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-08-2005, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks, those are some interesting stats!

Paul J
Old 12-21-2005, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

um ya too bad the one they left out is the comparitive that says only 7% stay clean with AA...the program as a whole is a failure
Old 12-21-2005, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by rizingfire
...the program as a whole is a failure
Nope.
It worked for me.
And a few others.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you look at TC they have a 89% sucess rate of people staying clean and the difference is that they teach you who you were made to be in Christ and they don't believe you are an addict for life ....the whole addict for life theory is just a theory anyway ... scientifically it doesn't hold water but it is easier to embrace spiritual dysfunction as a disease then to rekognize and go after the root cause so you can be free.. AA baffles me cuz the 12 steps came out of the Bible but now for the interest of getting more people to come the de-christianized it....would you take the batteries out of the remote and still expect the channel to change when you press the button? No, that would be stupid and that is how i feel about AA....in the interest of making more people come (ultimately only to fail because of their misguiding and misinformation) or they could out and out throw the truth at the ones they have and get some people set free. If ya wanna know the truth go to www.settingcaptivesfree.com and look at "free indeed vs working the program"
Old 12-21-2005, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan
Nope.
It worked for me.
And a few others.
Congrats you are 1 of the 7%! i would rather take my chances as being 1 out of 89 than 1 out of 7
Old 12-21-2005, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

um ya too bad the one they left out is the comparitive that says only 7% stay clean with AA...the program as a whole is a failure
OK, show me a better program.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

If ya wanna know the truth go to www.settingcaptivesfree.com and look at "free indeed vs working the program"
Sorry.
I'm a communist.
That website won't resolve on my computer.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you look at TC they have a 89% sucess rate of people staying clean and the difference is that they teach you who you were made to be in Christ and they don't believe you are an addict for life ....the whole addict for life theory is just a theory anyway ... scientifically it doesn't hold water but it is easier to embrace spiritual dysfunction as a disease then to rekognize and go after the root cause so you can be free.. AA baffles me cuz the 12 steps came out of the Bible but now for the interest of getting more people to come the de-christianized it....would you take the batteries out of the remote and still expect the channel to change when you press the button? No, that would be stupid and that is how i feel about AA....in the interest of making more people come (ultimately only to fail because of their misguiding and misinformation) or they could out and out throw the truth at the ones they have and get some people set free. If ya wanna know the truth go to www.settingcaptivesfree.com and look at "free indeed vs working the program"
I do not consider myself an addict. I am a recovering addict. Big difference. My higher power is Jesus Christ. I'm sure there are a few folks here at SR who would be intrested in learning more about your program. But, to come here and bash AA in an AA forum is not cool. We do have a "Christians in recovery" forum here at SR too. Unless you just looking to cause trouble?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dan -- you always seem to get in the middle of these arguments...

rizingfire -- I've printed your statistics on this paper roll that hangs in my bathroom.... that's about as much good as they'll do me...

I am sober today by the Grace of God, the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous and the Program of Alcoholics Anonymous. I don't care if the 12 steps came from the Diner menu down the street -- they work for me and countless others...
Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer
You're right.
Sorry about that, Ken.
I'll try harder to ignore ignorance.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender
I do not consider myself an addict. I am a recovering addict. Big difference. My higher power is Jesus Christ. I'm sure there are a few folks here at SR who would be intrested in learning more about your program. But, to come here and bash AA in an AA forum is not cool. We do have a "Christians in recovery" forum here at SR too. Unless you just looking to cause trouble?
I actually didn't even look at this site befor i posted that i just looked up stats and it popped up as a blog i didn't know this was an AA based site or i would have left it alone...I'm just aggrivated cuz i am being forced to go to AA and for me to say that any problem that i have couldn't be fixed by the God who created the universe seems rediculous...oh ya, my problems are too big... I am not an addict...i am not recovering... I am a new creature in Christ and I do believe who the Son sets free is free indeed....To accept that you are an addict for life is just satans way of convincing the ignorant to accept strongholds in their life so they will never be free... I appologize for posting this on an inappropriat page....I am all about order and this was out of order...but seeming the damage is already done...all i can say is sometimes the truth is offensive to those who aren't walking in it!
Old 12-21-2005, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No apologies needed, friend... I just feel bad for you -- always trying to keep the peace! It also just cracks me up when people come into the AA forum and post statistics about AA not working.... DUH -- this is the AA forum.....

All I know is AA works for me and countless others, that's the only "argument" I need!!!!

Dan -- have a GREAT HOLIDAY, man -- hope you enjoy and relax....

Ken
Old 12-21-2005, 08:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer

rizingfire -- I've printed your statistics on this paper roll that hangs in my bathroom.... that's about as much good as they'll do me...

I am sober today by the Grace of God, the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous and the Program of Alcoholics Anonymous. I don't care if the 12 steps came from the Diner menu down the street -- they work for me and countless others...
My point is that the principles of AA are God-given so it isn't AA that keeps you sober but the obedience to the God that gave them...tho some have been twisted since bill w originally wrote them.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

HUH? :saywhat?:
Old 12-21-2005, 08:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The additional help thing, I believe is a must.

I cant think of anything worse than getting all knowledge from AA.

Infact, that too me spells out T O R T U R E.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dude -- everything is God given.... "there is nothing new under the sun..."

Bill W organized these thoughts and principles into a format that seems to have been very widely accepted by alcoholics. It is the alcoholics in the rooms of AA who have taught me the principles, how to apply them in my life and how to live them on a daily basis.... it's all good.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Chy

" Tis the season to be jolly, falalalal..lalalala"
Old 12-21-2005, 08:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Its gonna kick off on this one.

I have been reading about AA statistics for the past six months. Grown quite weary of them now.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy
" Tis the season to be jolly, falalalal..lalalala"

lol.