Notices

The Promises

Old 06-27-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~sb

The Promises

They say the promises will come to you if you do the work. I never, ever thought this could include me. When I came to AA, I was beaten by alcohol. I was desperate and willing to do what it takes to stay stopped.

And, yet, I had been to AA before. For 25 years I had been in and out of AA, never feeling like I belonged there.

I never felt I belonged anywhere.

I remember my first year of sobriety. I also remember sitting in a meeting feeling like I was just so very lost that I couldn't find any positive in the world.

I asked myself, "Maybe those steps would work for me? Maybe?"

I was full of fear back then. Anxious, without knowing why. I made it through 12 days of sobriety when a woman shared her story and I ran to her babbling that I needed help.

On days 14 and 15, I was guided through the steps for relief. I worked those steps again several more times and will continue to do so as Today, I am not the same person I will be in a month, 2, 8 or even 12 months from now.

Those steps saved my life, and today, a little over 6 years into sobriety, my life looks quite different than it did when I was still that scared, lonely, detached, emotional mess that I was. In fact, even though I wasn't employed in my first year of sobriety, by one year, my life looked totally different than it had been my first week of sobriety.

Recently I had been to many interviews.
When I was newly sober, I had 13 months of unemployment and sent a million resumes out, with no call-backs. Throughout my sobriety, I have changed places of employment several times. Sometimes it was my choice.....sometimes my foot just got in my mouth again (ahh, the joys and pains of growth in sobriety!)

Ten interviews and not one offer?

Luckily, I've worked those steps and I try to have a relationship with a higher power and I use my tools......and I work with others......

Anyway, I put my resume online and someone found me, I just had my third interview and I was offered the position today in a non-profit child care setting. I will be teaching and learning the director's role so this woman can retire.

I guess maybe my higher power hadn't allowed me to be hired before this? It certainly feels as if I will truly be useful to others in my new endeavor.

The real promises are that I can live comfortably in my own skin.

I can look others in the eyes and be true to both of us.

The job, the things, those materials are just on loan. It's really the inside job we do that can help us to obtain the material things so that we continue to be useful to others.

I am so grateful today. I love SR. Sober Recovery was with me long before I could stay stopped, yet because of SR and AA, I have people who support me through everything.

Thanks, SR and AA!

Old 06-27-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

thank you Sugarbear for all you have done here and congrads on those 6 years and new job
Old 06-27-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks, Tommy!

I had 6 years in May, but this job offer is just so thrilling! I can't share it with mom, at least not with her commenting, so I had to share here.

I had spent many years NOT forgiving self for many things, one of them losing a true career.....where my education can make a difference!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing.

I was thinking that maybe this isn't for me lately. But I was reminded to mind my business, keep it simple, and stop comparing.

I got kicked out of college right before my first year of sobriety. Then later lost a job opportunity soon after. I will have two years sober on July 23 , currently unemployed and not even close to finishing my education.

But I have the opportunity to be of service often, no longer homeless, and needs have been met the entire time. Very grateful I can believe in a God and live by spiritual principles. It's so much better than the confusion, fantasy, and darkness I lived for 15 years.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Sugarbear!!!!!

Congratulations on the new job
Old 06-27-2017, 10:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Great news Sugarbear, congratulations. Your experience put me in mind of a third step promise about our new, all powerful, employer providing what we need, if we stick close and perform his work well. What we need isn't always how we would have done things, life would have been so drab if I had got my way, but if we have faith, He has a way of providing just what we need at just the right time. Ain't it great?
Old 06-28-2017, 03:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Congratulations sugarbear, I am so happy for you!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sometimes quickly sometimes slowly. We take the action and leave the results up to God - way to lead from the front.

Best
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

First of all, congrats on your sobriety!! That's amazing. Secondly, I'd still be going to AA if one of those promises included meeting new sober people to hang out with. Of course, no organization is perfect and AA has a lot to offer; but for AA members to tell someone they will do this or that, than tell you to go away is just hipocritacal (sp). At least that doesn't happen on SR. John
Old 06-28-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Last year, in particular, was a very difficult year for me. Lots of loss and lots of changes, all dealt with using those steps, mostly 10-12!!

I guess I am just amazed at how beautiful life is sober!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

life really is beautiful sober sugarbear

2 weeks ago I got a brand new grandson,and I looked at the little fella thru sober eyes and thought,the worlds a better place with you here!
I think the worlds a better place with all of us in it sober
Old 06-29-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
life really is beautiful sober sugarbear

2 weeks ago I got a brand new grandson,and I looked at the little fella thru sober eyes and thought,the worlds a better place with you here!
I think the worlds a better place with all of us in it sober
There are no strangers in AA, just friends I haven't met yet. Really? John
Old 06-29-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

John,thats what my 3rd sponsor who died in 2009 used to say.He was 89 years old and 50 years and 9 months sober.I think it is a good attitude for a guy like me to have.
I have nothing to lose by remembering it and trying to practice it
Old 06-29-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Beautiful, Sugarbear!!

I too have sent hundreds of resumes that went into the abyss.. but I believe everything happens for a reason!! My alcoholic brain still says I want it now, just one of my many defects.. progress not perfection..

I'm super happy for you.. you put a big smile on my face.. I love what you said about learning to live in your own skin.. this took a while for me, a few hundred meetings and today I like what I see in the mirror..

I still attend a lot of meetings and I'm on SR everyday too.. It's a winning combo for this alcoholic!

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us-sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them. ( it's an action program for me, I always have to keep trudging forward)

Wishing you the best, Friend!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-01-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks, Dave! It amazes me that those other doors stayed closed so this one could open!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats Sugarbear They say it takes five years to prove your serious and you've gone past that
Old 07-15-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats sugar bear.

I certainly agree that this is an inside job...that what we get given is the tools resources and ability to deal with life whether we have the outside stuff or not.

I guess that means we are better able to work towards and handle the material things. Me as a drunk...well I just wasn't qualified to keep them...so I threw them away time after time and blamed the world out there for my troubles

I have a slightly insane set of circumstances to deal with tomorrow....but you know what...I can handle it

P